Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How to get Vista Beta 2

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Again...straight from Digg...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/beta/preregister.mspx

You will be the first to be notified when the Windows Vista, Office "12," and Exchange "12" public beta releases become available.

Upcoming Public Beta Releases from Microsoft
    Office
    Windows Vista is a significant evolution of the PC desktop, and the industry is already reacting. Here are just a few of the new Windows Vista features:
    WinFX—a programming model with managed code
    Windows Presentation Foundation—the standardized display subsystem for Windows Vista
    Windows Communication Foundation—the new Web service technology from Microsoft
    Office
    The next version of Microsoft Office, code-named Office “12,” uses XML to provide new functions that can help you develop high-quality corporate solutions. For example:
    Compact file format—automatically compresses files up to 75 percent
    Improved damaged-file recovery—modular data storage allows you to open files even when a component within is damaged
    Safer documents—embedded code is identified and stored for special processing, allowing IT administrators to block unwanted macros or controls
    Office
    The next version of Microsoft Exchange Server, code-named “12,” refines the widely adopted Exchange Server platform. The upcoming beta release is your opportunity to experience lower cost, less complexity, and new benefits in your environment:
    Security and compliance—new protections against snooping, spam, and viruses aid compliance with regulatory requirements and internal controls
    Simpler operation—refinements reduce the number of steps and tasks required to deploy, operate, monitor, and troubleshoot
    64-bit optimization—provides for increased address space, more storage space, and fewer inputs and outputs per user operation

• User profile image
    the-​laughing-man

Seems they only want people from the US side of the pond to test these things... What about us Europeans?!

• User profile image
    Bark at the moon

the-laughing-man wrote:
    Seems they only want people from the US side of the pond to test these things... What about us Europeans?!

We wait until they throw us a bone Smiley

But seriously, it is something that amazes me a bit, all these US only offers, beta's etc. It does give the impression the Europe is a secondary market to Microsoft. It would be even worse if it is done out of convienience, in the sense that is cheaper and easier to manage set out these projects in the US.

• User profile image
    andokai

I'm in Ireland and I'm on the Beta so your statement isn't entirely true. I can also see reasons why they keep the betas in the US mostly. For a start there's only really one language and locale setting to support. In fact on Vista 5308 the speech recognition doesn't work unless you have your locale settings set to English (United States). I assume this is because it makes the most sense to worry about localisation after rather than in parallel.

• User profile image
    balupton

Worked for me, signed up with that last week, and just got my invite then, so thanks sooo much for posting that!

• User profile image
    arunpv

Bark at the moon wrote:
    the-laughing-man wrote: Seems they only want people from the US side of the pond to test these things... What about us Europeans?!

We wait until they throw us a bone

But seriously, it is something that amazes me a bit, all these US only offers, beta's etc. It does give the impression the Europe is a secondary market to Microsoft. It would be even worse if it is done out of convienience, in the sense that is cheaper and easier to manage set out these projects in the US.

Its all because of that ongoing EU Antitrust case... Wink
    Only we get to play with all betas Perplexed while you guys get the final product..

• User profile image
    josh_harris

Thank You for Taking the Inside Track

Your participation in Microsoft product betas is sure to benefit your workplace and your use of Microsoft products with even greater efficiency. You can expect to begin receiving your TechNet Flash IT newsletter with customized beta content in the next few weeks.

To further personalize your biweekly TechNet Flash IT newsletter with additional reports on topics such as desktop operating systems, server technologies, or security, please visit the TechNet Flash Customization Page. Thanks again for registering.

hmmm, im in NZ and managed to get it, crazy

• User profile image
    toast

Well, I'm in Australia and just chose "English/United States".

• User profile image
    Khamul

toast wrote:
    Well, I'm in Australia and just chose "English/United States".

Same, but I got Vista anyway... 9% of the ISO downloaded, and since I'm crawling along at 30kbs as my maximum download speed (that's my normal speed, it just feels particularly slow at the moment) it should arrive... ah, let's see - sometime Saturday?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.