Coffeehouse Thread

32 posts

Microsoft in future.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    miies

I'm not bullying anyone and I don't have any problem with bad English - English isn't my native tongue either and I'm sure I am making errors in each of my posts. I just don't understand what he's trying to say, and I would like to (I know I'm not the only one, too). So, he can continue being ignored by everyone who doesn't understand him, or made aware of this. If the forum supported private messages, I would have used that.

• User profile image
    prog_dotnet

why dont you send him an email?
    Smiley

• User profile image
    miies

prog_dotnet wrote:

why dont you send him an email?
    Smiley

Hm, good point, I should have thought of that..

• User profile image
    Frankie Fresh

In 2030, there will be just two companies left: Microsoft and Wal-Mart.

http://franksworld.com:443/DotTextWeb/archive/2004/03/22/193.aspx

• User profile image
    V4us

I used metaphor... That is to say Mindragon see future. Nanotechnology is automatons who accomplish programm. I think Microsoft will developing it programms.
    How many % you understand ?
    Pleas send my e-mail to V4us@mail.ru (icon with mail)
    I understand All what you written. You can read about it in Programm for Channel 9.

• User profile image
    V4us

;-(

I read what i written and I (i) mourn ...

---------------------| Channel9           |
    |                    |
    | I read what I      |
    |  written and I(i) _|
    | mourn ...          |
    |                    |
    |                    |
    |                    |
    ----------------------
          _/      \_ 

• User profile image
    miamijjs

Japan_Germany:

You asked "Would you agree that history has shown great nations and businesses can and have failed? "

In history yes but I honestly don't believe we have seen Microsofts Highest point. I use Linux and Mac as well and computers all day at work and on the road but I keep coming back to Microsoft.

Pre-Media Center 2004 I had tried to go Linux full time but was unable and then after Longhorn Alphas (esp PDC verson) and now Media Center 2004 I really feel the best is yet to come.

Someday will microsoft be number 2 or dead... Possilbe but my magic 8 ball says NO!.

To say "The future is Microsoft" is the best bet on the future, Its not mac and unless something really changes I don't see Linux taking over due to advances in Longhorn and Linux is still working on being as good as XP or hell ME... haha

The next 10-15 years will be all about Microsoft, It's only been 9 years since Windows 95 so to say they will be on top for another 10 years is a sure thing.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

Getting back to some kind of real point (Wink), Sabot's post is a great example of why Linux might take over, but also why it still has a long way to go.

First, while many German councils have moved to Linux, just as many have moved back off of it after a while. To me, one company or group choosing an OS doesn't prove it's maturity. Why? Because in this day and age software choice is about what works best for you. Showing others using it doesn't show why it works for me, unless those others are in the exact same position I'm in (doubtful).

Second, the Airbus one is a great example. Why? Airbus didn't reinvent the jet. Everything was damn near the same to what Boeing was offering. They didn't redo pilot controls, seat arrangements, in-flight stewardess centers...

They kept things very, very similar so that switching over would be easy.

I've blogged a lot about the ways Linux needs to change for it to ever get to that point. I hope it does, though, as Linux does an incredible amount of things right (while getting an incredible amount of things seriously wrong, at least in the UI... I mean, to change the size of taskbar items in KDE I have to go to... Control Center > Desktop > Panels > Size... Riiiight...).

All of that said... The speed with which Linux (and many of the other user-oriented OSS packages) are maturing is phenomenal. I'm very impressed, and whenever I do my yearly "Linux Evals" for work I get closer and closer to recommending small-scale deployments.

Especially since PXE-booting is now standard on Dell boxes, which means we could literally rollout Linux in a couple of days to more than 2000 desktops. Well, maybe a couple of weeks (so that people could still actually use the network).

It's exciting!

The Microsoft of the future? Someone earlier commented about Microsoft's need to evolve. That's exactly what they are trying to do, but looking back at history it's easy to see that the odds really are stacked against them.

Most great companies and empires have died either because they chose to not evolve, or because they tried to and lost all support.

• User profile image
    PeteBeech

Sabot wrote:
    Japan_Germany has a point. In Germany Microsoft isn't King just a very strong contender. Just ask Munchen Met Council, they have 10,000 Linux desktops.

I live in Munich, and they don't seem to have their 10000 Linux desktops yet - I've been in quite a few of the local government offices recently (as a normal customer, getting bureaucratic stuff done), and I checked out what they were running, and it was still Windows. I didn't see Linux once.

And apparently they're having tremendous problems porting to Linux, one reason being because its too difficult to convert the custom software they have under Windows into Linux. The problem is the development tools, and that the people doing it aren't up to speed on Linux development - which is fair enough I guess. To get around some of this, I believe they're planning on running Windows software on a Windows installation running on VMWare on Linux, or something like that. And, as a taxpayer, you do wonder why they are bothering..!

It will be interesting to see if it works, and if most of it does end up on Windows on VMWare, whether they still claim success.

• User profile image
    prog_dotnet

"I think there is a world market for maybe 5 computers"
    Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home"
    Ken Olson, chairman & founder of Digital equipment, 1977

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is ingerently of no value to us."
    Western Union internal memo, 1876

"640 K ought to be enough for anybody."
    Bill Gates, 1981

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
    popular mechanics, 1949

• User profile image
    Eurasian

Prog_dotnet, spot on.  Love it, just love it.

• User profile image
    TonyCh

Even from inside MS (or maybe especially from inside), I can't shed any more light on our future. I agree that MS needs to continue to innovate, invest, and take risks if we want to stay alive. I'm proud that MS has avoided getting too complacent generally, but we can still mess up the execution.

Regardless, my one real hope is that we're allowed to continue to work hard and have a fair shot at competing. Legislation that dictates a particular business or development model like open source removes choice from the market and ultimately takes power out of the consumers' hands.

If we succeed or fail ultimately, I'd like to have done so on our own merits or lack thereof.

• User profile image
    Sabot

Good point Prog_dotnet.

I think the real point is that no one has a crystal ball.

I personally believe that there is room enough for both Linux and Windows to happily co-exist and continue to evolve. As the industry matures, I would like to see greater co-operation and less intolerance. I do hope this can be a little more than my fantasy.

Sabot

P.S. I wasn't aware of the problems in Munchen (Munich) with their Linux role out, it's not common knowledge. Without trail blazing then these things will never happen. I do wish them better luck.

P.S.S Thanks Japan_Germany. Very much looking for to my Wedding day! I met my future bride in Germany by the way.

• User profile image
    lars

Last time I checked IBM was still around. And Western Union. And Bill Gates is pretty rich despite that quote.

He's also quoted writing: "Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning."

And I guess that is what is happening here.

In any case, why does Microsoft and Linux have to be a contradiction? What is stopping Microsoft from one day saying - "hey, we're going to make a Linux distro!". Anyone can support Open Source. Everyone can participate. If you can't beat them - join them.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.