Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

your thoughts on the Origami project

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Pace

Hello all,

Im sure you have all been following the Origami project closely however I just read that the battery on the initial Samsung Q1 will only last 2.5-3 hours.

Now troll me if you want but I feel a bit disappointed. I was looking forward to getting one early so I could be the envy of my collegues at work but at 2.5-3 hrs battery... I cant really see it as a UMPC, more like a UMQF (Ultra Mobile Quick Fix)... guess ill have to really wait for the extended battery life models...

discuss Smiley

• User profile image
    cpod

Pace wrote:
    Hello all,

Im sure you have all been following the Origami project closely however I just read that the battery on the initial Samsung Q1 will only last 2.5-3 hours.

Now troll me if you want but I feel a bit disappointed. I was looking forward to getting one early so I could be the envy of my collegues at work but at 2.5-3 hrs battery... I cant really see it as a UMPC, more like a UMQF (Ultra Mobile Quick Fix)... guess ill have to really wait for the extended battery life models...

discuss

There are lots of discussions already, do a quick search for "Origami" and you’ll get lots of discussions already going on.

Would you really use it all day long?

• User profile image
    Sabot

On reflection I think the UMPC is great idea. It fills an obvious hole between the PDA and laptop which frankly the PDA was not man enough to fill.

The price point is a big unknown still and this is very important. It needs to be between the laptop and PDA pricing. I would not like to paying more for a UMPC just because it's smaller that a laptop and not as powerful. I see little value in that.

• User profile image
    gswitz

I totally want one for around the house easy internet access at a lower cost than a full tablet. Mostly, we just need something we can use to execute a quick search at the dinner table or pull up directions or map... maybe do a search on a tv show for example, but the laptops big and not on when it needs to be and in the back room at that. This is a great solution for us b/c it's big enough, but not too big. I love the small pcs between hand held and laptop size!

• User profile image
    otech

I have already tried to get some info etc, but nobody knows when they will make it to Australia Sad

I was dissapointed to learn of the 2.5-3 hours battery life, but I dont think I would use the device in one big long session as you would a notebook/desktop.

I will be using it to access web over GSM while over the road, and therefore will most likely only need to use it in 5-10 minute session - giving me around 36 on/off's before needing a charge - guess I will just have to do the same as I have with my notebook and scatter power supplies around the house/office Wink

What I would like to have confirmed though, is whether these little critters are going to function as either a Media Center Extender or Remote Control - in the movie that was leaked of that marketing firms website (would love to be more specific but I cant remember the details - it was discussed here though) it showed one being used as a media center extender and this is DEFINATELY something i am interested - HOWEVER

There is not MCE Extender software for XP - and thats what these are running - or is it a new app included in touch pack?

Anyone know about the MCE Extender capabilities - or was it literally just a misleading teaser?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.