Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

your thoughts on the Origami project

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Pace

Hello all,

Im sure you have all been following the Origami project closely however I just read that the battery on the initial Samsung Q1 will only last 2.5-3 hours.

Now troll me if you want but I feel a bit disappointed. I was looking forward to getting one early so I could be the envy of my collegues at work but at 2.5-3 hrs battery... I cant really see it as a UMPC, more like a UMQF (Ultra Mobile Quick Fix)... guess ill have to really wait for the extended battery life models...

discuss Smiley

• User profile image
    cpod

Pace wrote:
    Hello all,

Im sure you have all been following the Origami project closely however I just read that the battery on the initial Samsung Q1 will only last 2.5-3 hours.

Now troll me if you want but I feel a bit disappointed. I was looking forward to getting one early so I could be the envy of my collegues at work but at 2.5-3 hrs battery... I cant really see it as a UMPC, more like a UMQF (Ultra Mobile Quick Fix)... guess ill have to really wait for the extended battery life models...

discuss

There are lots of discussions already, do a quick search for "Origami" and you’ll get lots of discussions already going on.

Would you really use it all day long?

• User profile image
    Sabot

On reflection I think the UMPC is great idea. It fills an obvious hole between the PDA and laptop which frankly the PDA was not man enough to fill.

The price point is a big unknown still and this is very important. It needs to be between the laptop and PDA pricing. I would not like to paying more for a UMPC just because it's smaller that a laptop and not as powerful. I see little value in that.

• User profile image
    gswitz

I totally want one for around the house easy internet access at a lower cost than a full tablet. Mostly, we just need something we can use to execute a quick search at the dinner table or pull up directions or map... maybe do a search on a tv show for example, but the laptops big and not on when it needs to be and in the back room at that. This is a great solution for us b/c it's big enough, but not too big. I love the small pcs between hand held and laptop size!

• User profile image
    otech

I have already tried to get some info etc, but nobody knows when they will make it to Australia Sad

I was dissapointed to learn of the 2.5-3 hours battery life, but I dont think I would use the device in one big long session as you would a notebook/desktop.

I will be using it to access web over GSM while over the road, and therefore will most likely only need to use it in 5-10 minute session - giving me around 36 on/off's before needing a charge - guess I will just have to do the same as I have with my notebook and scatter power supplies around the house/office Wink

What I would like to have confirmed though, is whether these little critters are going to function as either a Media Center Extender or Remote Control - in the movie that was leaked of that marketing firms website (would love to be more specific but I cant remember the details - it was discussed here though) it showed one being used as a media center extender and this is DEFINATELY something i am interested - HOWEVER

There is not MCE Extender software for XP - and thats what these are running - or is it a new app included in touch pack?

Anyone know about the MCE Extender capabilities - or was it literally just a misleading teaser?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.