Coffeehouse Thread

32 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista will have WINFX installed by DEFAULT!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    andokai

Nice, this was badly needed.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

And this is surprising... Why?

• User profile image
    andokai

rjdohnert wrote:
    And this is surprising... Why?

Because up till now they were planning on having it as an optional install leaving WPF developers with the same problem that .NET developers have with XP.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Will the sidebar be able to run WinFX widgets? I remember hearing that it will not Sad

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Finally some good news. Now someone tell me the hell whether there'll be Office 2007 x64 or not. Those MS folks in the beta are just giving nothing-saying responses to that one.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

jamie, WINFX is not WINFS Smiley

WINFX is Avalon + Indigo + Workflow.

• User profile image
    jamie

ak!  i miss read the title

oh well

*err.. but i thought winfx was always apart of vista - also back ported to xp... ?

• User profile image
    jamie

edit:  ignore - misread title - thought it was winFS

cool.  how will this impact vista?

does it make the search boxes in vista more powerful? faster? do the results change? more options? does it mean virtual folders will do more? does it mean every machine becomes its own DB?  isnt that what the file system is now - or is everything indexed as its made ? (faster?)

just trying to understand how vista changes from what we've seen - to what it would/could do with this in it by default

( * i know its good for other devs to have it ship with the system - so users dont have to download it separate - but how does this change vista?)

edit:  or it doesnt change anything...its just "there"

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Well, it means unlike with this .NET fiasco, Vista systems will be ready out of the box to run those funky new fangled applications, keeping developers from crapping all over themselves because they'd have to bundle some multimegabyte installer with their apps yet again.

--edit: Regarding the bundling, first is was core part of Longhorn, then it was decided to be backported, somewhat later it wasn't even sure anymore if it is installed mandatory or optionally.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

jamie wrote:
    *err.. but i thought winfx was always apart of vista - also back ported to xp... ?

Yes, but rumours had it that it would ship on the DVD but it won't be installed by default.

Now we know that (at least for the moment) it will be included in the default install components.

• User profile image
    staceyw

Good news.  It never made sense to me why this was not part of the plan from day 1.  Nice they added it.

• User profile image
    Chadk

Great news.

• User profile image
    Minh

staceyw wrote:
    Good news.  It never made sense to me why this was not part of the plan from day 1.  Nice they added it.

I know! It p*sses me off so much that they would even considered the alternative. It p*sses me off even more that when you "ask"

(Developer)
    - WinFX is gonna be installed by default, right? right?

(Some suit)
    - We're working hard to get WinFX into Vista with the timeframe we have provided...

(Developer)
    - When I push you off a cliff, do you fall?

(Some suite)
    - Well, given the law of physics, I would imagine that I'd be falling downward at 9.81 m/s/s -- but this is not a guarantee that the law of physics is universal.

• User profile image
    jmacdonagh

Minh wrote:
    staceyw wrote: Good news.  It never made sense to me why this was not part of the plan from day 1.  Nice they added it.

I know! It p*sses me off so much that they would even considered the alternative. It p*sses me off even more that when you "ask"

(Developer)
    - WinFX is gonna be installed by default, right? right?

(Some suit)
    - We're working hard to get WinFX into Vista with the timeframe we have provided...

(Developer)
    - When I push you off a cliff, do you fall?

(Some suite)
    - Well, given the law of physics, I would imagine that I'd be falling downward at 9.81 m/s/s -- but this is not a guarantee that the law of physics is universal.

Tongue Out Gotta love the legal cover.

Anyway, GREAT news.

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

I spoke with a new project manager on the WPF team the other day. He's just been on board for about a month but I asked him how things were going and if they were still slated for a release in tandem with Vista. He said that they were, but that Vista isn't going to be making much use of WPF out of the box.

I guess this means that it won't be installed by default and that the sidebar still won't support WPF widgets. Just my analysis of what he said.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Doesn't that just mean that "Vista isn't going to be making use of WPF out of the box", not that "Vista isn't going to have WPF out of the box?

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

As I've said, thats just my interpretation of what he told me. I didn't exactly have all the time in the world to query him on the subject. I had maybe a 20 second window of time...

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.