Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

IE 7 Beta 2 Preview March 20 Refresh

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

Seems as if a new version of the IE7 Beta Preview has been released, without saying something to us Wink

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/ie7betaredirect.mspx

• User profile image
    Rowan
  • User profile image
    littleguru

Sorry I did not see it: just remove this thread.

• User profile image
    Be#

Question: Will there be a side-by-side install option to have IE 6 and IE 7 parallel? Or do web designers around the world need mutliple machines or virtual ones to do design for IE 6/7?

• User profile image
    littleguru

Follow the HTML, XML, XHTML, CSS standards and you will be fine.

A few months ago I created a quite large web site - that was on IE6. Now I have migrated to IE7 and everything works fine and looks as in IE6. No problems at all. I did not need to touch one line of code.

• User profile image
    Be#

littleguru wrote:

Follow the HTML, XML, XHTML, CSS standards and you will be fine.

A few months ago I created a quite large web site - that was on IE6. Now I have migrated to IE7 and everything works fine and looks as in IE6. No problems at all. I did not need to touch one line of code.

Well, not really. Without wanting to blame MS for anything specific here, we all know that just following HTML, XML, XHTML and CSS standards does NOT work well. Remember the box-model-hack, etc?

So while I generally appreciate following web standards and are in deed a member of the Web Standards Project, the question remains:

In the interest of TESTING sites we build for customers, will we not be able to install IE 6 and IE 7 in parallel, right?

• User profile image
    Rowan

Be# wrote:
    Question: Will there be a side-by-side install option to have IE 6 and IE 7 parallel? Or do web designers around the world need mutliple machines or virtual ones to do design for IE 6/7?

It will never happen, ever.

• User profile image
    Wells

They finally added a gradient effect to the tabs when using the Classic windows skin. The new Digg.com works a bit better (it no longer crashes) although there are still bugs with rendering the comments.

• User profile image
    balupton

littleguru wrote:
    Follow the HTML, XML, XHTML, CSS standards and you will be fine. A few months ago I created a quite large web site - that was on IE6. Now I have migrated to IE7 and everything works fine and looks as in IE6. No problems at all. I did not need to touch one line of code.
    Neither IE6 or IE7 follow standards, if your a web designer you should know this...IE7 is an improvement, but still a pain in the (I need to watch my language) as developers now need to cater for IE7 as well as IE6 and the rest.

• User profile image
    Be#

balupton wrote:
    littleguru wrote:Follow the HTML, XML, XHTML, CSS standards and you will be fine. A few months ago I created a quite large web site - that was on IE6. Now I have migrated to IE7 and everything works fine and looks as in IE6. No problems at all. I did not need to touch one line of code.
    Neither IE6 or IE7 follow standards, if your a web designer you should know this...IE7 is an improvement, but still a pain in the (I need to watch my language) as developers now need to cater for IE7 as well as IE6 and the rest.

Thanks for this one. I was a little bit irritated by littleguru pointing me to a "if you follow XHTML and CSS rules, you should not worry" solution especially with stating in the same post, that he has done a quite large site a few months ago.

If I strictly follow the W3C CSS specs, IE 6 painfully ignores some of the most important definitions given therein.

For a moment, however, I was doubting whether I have missed anything - but thanks god I have not.

A parallel install modell would not only surprise web developers around the globe but also strongly emphasize Microsoft's interest into support Web Standards...

• User profile image
    Zeus

balupton wrote:
    No browser will ever be perfect in respect to following the standards, weather it be XHTML or CSS.

IE6 does a horrible job of following the guidelines set by the W3C as we all know. IE7 on the other hand is a much, much improved product and does a much better job. It is a huge step in the right direction.

... And I don't think it will be a pain in the buttocks.

But running IE7 and IE6 side by side would be great, but according to the other thread, it will not be possible.

• User profile image
    Wells

What I'm worried about is that IE7 is just going to cause more headaches for webdevs who now have to add more conditionals/hacks for IE7 as well as other versions.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot
  • User profile image
    Kental

Wells wrote:
    What I'm worried about is that IE7 is just going to cause more headaches for webdevs who now have to add more conditionals/hacks for IE7 as well as other versions.

I don't know if this will be the same when IE7 is officially released, but as of the latest version I have access to (public), all of the websites I've done so far that were W3C validated (xhtml, css) looked the exact same and ran the exact same in IE6, IE7 and Firefox (I basically ignore the rest of the browsers, because it isn't worth my time to attempt to check Tongue Out).

• User profile image
    littleguru

Be# wrote:
    balupton wrote:
    littleguru wrote: Follow the HTML, XML, XHTML, CSS standards and you will be fine. A few months ago I created a quite large web site - that was on IE6. Now I have migrated to IE7 and everything works fine and looks as in IE6. No problems at all. I did not need to touch one line of code.

Thanks for this one. I was a little bit irritated by littleguru pointing me to a "if you follow XHTML and CSS rules, you should not worry" solution especially with stating in the same post, that he has done a quite large site a few months ago.

If I strictly follow the W3C CSS specs, IE 6 painfully ignores some of the most important definitions given therein.

For a moment, however, I was doubting whether I have missed anything - but thanks god I have not.

A parallel install modell would not only surprise web developers around the globe but also strongly emphasize Microsoft's interest into support Web Standards...

Well guys, I don't know what kind of web sites you are creating, but I had never issues with IE7, IE6, FireFox, Opera or something. I has issues when migrating from IE5.5 to IE6, but that was as I was using IE specific features.

They look on all browsers the same. I just stick with simple ideas, a clean XHTML and a relative layout (no absolute positioning). As JavaScript I use one that is understood by every browser and not something that is browser specific and I'm also fine there. For CSS I use CSS 1.0 and I'm also fine there...

And I never use the VS designer to create the HTML of the web site. I always write it manually!

• User profile image
    whisonlan

Thank U for info me this,It's better than the one before.At least a mistaken i found has been corrected.Smiley

• User profile image
    Andrei P

IE 7 renders similarly to Firefox, so most of the time I find no need of using any hacks to make the CSS render well in IE 7. The only tweaking is needed for IE 6, but that's not new.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.