Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    TomasDeml
  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

Rumor, dont pay no attention to rumors.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

It's called iterative coding. I take this as good news, personally, and delays are no issue for me, for that matter.

My favorite part of that article is the statement that this whole issue began with a "staff revolt" where programmers stood up to management within Microsoft. Kudos. Bravo. Never let the kids run the kindergarten class!

Courage and commitment; I see this as a win-win for MS and the coders who are, "at the end of the day", the responsible parties.

(You should see just how much code these guys can generate in a month).

• User profile image
    jamie
  • User profile image
    Manip

Checkout the cost effects for Microsoft here (this graph does update).

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

Rumor, but I'm not surprised, most all code in existance needs a few rewrites.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

The Forbes article should be titled

"The Failure of Microsoft"

We all know that in December 2006 they will push Vista to November of 2007 then in March of 2007 they will push it back to January 2008.

• User profile image
    Manip

I think something IS going on, perhaps not as big as suggested (60% + staff uprising) but based on what has NOT been said on this topic you know there is something.

If none of it was true you'd have lots of Microsoft-ees posting "What a load of bull... It isn't nearly that bad..."

But instead you have complete silence.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Well dude, they are busy.  They have 60% of the code to rewrite and they have put Scoble down in front of a terminal to show his programming prowess.

blatzcoder wrote:
    Odd. Scoble's blog is suddenly silent.  Where have all the Microsoft employees on Channel 9 gone all of a sudden? They were here a day or two ago.

• User profile image
    Manip

brian.shapiro wrote:
    So people are going to switch to open-source stuff just because Vista is delayed?

And people are going to switch to Linux and other open-source OSs because they will be less "complicated" for an ordinary person than Vista?

I mean, come on. How much can this guy understand?

NO NO NO

If this topic turns into another "My open source is better than your closed" I'm out of here for a few days. I'm really sick of EVERY topic coming back to that. You don't see Pro-Apple trolls posting like this, do you?

• User profile image
    DMassy

rjdohnert wrote:
    Well dude, they are busy.  They have 60% of the code to rewrite and they have put Scoble down in front of a terminal to show his programming prowess.

blatzcoder wrote: Odd. Scoble's blog is suddenly silent.  Where have all the Microsoft employees on Channel 9 gone all of a sudden? They were here a day or two ago.

We are all busy and I'm taking a day of down time after MIX. My son is napping at the moment so I thought I'd drop by.
    Has anyone been watching the IE team blog at http://blogs.msdn.com/ie? The last couple of posts have been interesting.

Thanks
    -Dave

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

jamie wrote:

jamie,

I don't know how much of the article you can take seriously with a paragraph like this

Forbes wrote:

Given Microsoft's delays I can't believe open-source stuff still hasn't caught on for desktop computers. It's amazing, but people will wait months and months for products that are so complicated that no ordinary person can figure out how to use them.

So people are going to switch to open-source stuff just because Vista is delayed?

And people are going to switch to Linux and other open-source OSs because they will be less "complicated" for an ordinary person than Vista?

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Sit down before you blow your pacemaker.  He isnt turning it into that type of argument, the Forbes article said it and he was just commenting on it.

Manip wrote:
    brian.shapiro wrote: So people are going to switch to open-source stuff just because Vista is delayed?

NO NO NO

If this topic turns into another "My open source is better than your closed" I'm out of here for a few days. I'm really sick of EVERY topic coming back to that. You don't see Pro-Apple trolls posting like this, do you?

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Manip wrote:
    brian.shapiro wrote: So people are going to switch to open-source stuff just because Vista is delayed?

NO NO NO

I don't know who you're criticizing Manip, but I don't the the topic will turn to that. I wasn't even commenting on which was better, open source or closed source. I was just questioning how in touch with things the Forbes writer was when making statements like that. The things he was suggesting in that paragraph were just odd.

But I expect we'll see a mass of articles by fans of other systems taking advantage of any bad news or bad rumors about Microsoft to bash them into the ground and promote Apple or Linux.

• User profile image
    DMassy

Wow there's alot of speculation going on and there seem to be a lot of people taking that speculation as fact.
    The truth is that Vista needs a little extra time to get it to the quality level that is needed. Sorry the truth really is not more exciting than that.
    Thanks
    -Dave

• User profile image
    jamie

my point was forbes called it messy.  that was news enough for me.

ok  thread jack - How would you fix vista?

here's my top 10 list:

1. go back to the slate styled explorer layouts: the one with smaller Ahead button than Back, where the breadcrumb bar disappeared into the address bar .. and start from there again. Have glass as one of the themes - but default the os needs a grey more industrial style. 

2. remove all the drm stuff to score points for being so late.

3. return the user interface to the user - give us our coolbars back (not the locked uncoolbars) - pop a big warning: "Certain websites may be able to spoof your toolbar..blabla"  (dont show this message again) box. ensure we can space the address bar and search bar how ever wide we want - and where we want, -separate or off. in ie as well - stop taking things away

4. Unify the UI:  if the start bar is black (or gray whatever colour) - the windows should be that too. same for sidebar.

5. Make explorer integration an option you can turn on. i like one window going between web/file.  we've had this for 6 years or more. if you must - turn it off by default - stop taking things away

6. Make [up] an option to turn on - stop taking things away

7. Add a "Show only critical warnings" option. vista talks too much

8. Add the Luna theme - and make it work just like xp (toolbars icons wallpaper et all.  This will make the new changes easy to get into - and try out with a saftey net there.  also seriously take a look at classic mode and spiff it up - its looking strange

9. Give us the option to set the width of the Startbar. ID like mine to go half way across the screen to see more programs at one time.

10. fix bugs and ship

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

jamie, when transparency is turned off, Vista's windows are grey , aren't they?

• User profile image
    Chadk

DMassy wrote:
    Wow there's alot of speculation going on and there seem to be a lot of people taking that speculation as fact.
    The truth is that Vista needs a little extra time to get it to the quality level that is needed. Sorry the truth really is not more exciting than that.
    Thanks
    -Dave

What does that mean?
    All code can use a few months extra. Just look at Duke Nukem forever, or any other vaporware software.

Last thing i heard was that it was pushed back till January, for all but companys. Have this been changed again?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.