Coffeehouse Thread

330 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Beer28 Adventures

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    DoomBringer

ZOMG WTF LOLBBQ~~~~!!!!!111

I wonder if the tagline on the book is his famous catchphrase "Backwards British..." you know what I mean.

• User profile image
    zzzzz

The Beer man wrote:
    Q: I purchased support but ultimately didn't need it, can I get my money back?
    A: I purchased a car but didn't need it, can I get MY money back? The answer is the same for us, absolutely not.

Yes you can if you return it within 3 business days. 

• User profile image
    Chadk

jaylittle wrote:
    This book is definitely all about C9 people.  Check out the item number in the HTML source for the page:

<input type="hidden" name="item_number" value="beer28onpr9">

Uh huh.  I also have money on the fact that his "conversations" here have been heavily edited.  This little stunt of his is entirely unique, as I believe this is the only time I've seen anybody ever manage to actually revise their postings on a forums months/years later.

I think it's time to put a time limit on editing and deleting posts here on C9.

I dont see any reason to make any rules about editing. Only deleting posts, should be removed.

I would like to donate a few dollars. But i dont have any paypal account, nor a cc.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

Hey, guys, when you get it, don't read too much.  You might get a brain tumor.

Honestly, considering how misformed some of his arguements were, how often he reverted to ad hominems, and how he went back and edited everything to make himself look good, I doubt this book is grounded in reality.  Not that a book about linux is going to be...

• User profile image
    JeremyJ

Not sure why any of you would even want to give Beer a dime let alone buy his "book".  I think he owes me money for the time I had to waste sifting though all his silly posts trying to find anything of substance.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

I hope the book will be under an Open Source license...

• User profile image
    Chadk

Angus wrote:
    Would this lower the price of the book?

I don't know whether it would work or not because I haven't everreally used Paypal; can any one check it out?

I am very interested as to what is in this eBook

Interresting.
    When i clicked to button, it only seemed to cost 6$!
    Strange.

• User profile image
    Chadk

jaylittle wrote:
    Chadk wrote: I dont see any reason to make any rules about editing. Only deleting posts, should be removed.

But whats to stop me from changing all my posts two  years from now to:
    jaylittle's proposed KMA C9 post edit wrote:
    DELETED

You have to restrict both or you may as well restrict none of them.

Thats true.
    But you cant really limit users to not being able to not edit their post.

Beer28 was special. That shouldnt limit us to edit our posts.

• User profile image
    Maurits

Editing posts should be wiki-style... you can edit your own posts as much as you want, but when you do a little "view previous versions" widget appears.  Previous versions can only be deleted by appealing to an admin.

• User profile image
    dahat

Chadk wrote:
    jaylittle wrote:
    Chadk wrote: I dont see any reason to make any rules about editing. Only deleting posts, should be removed.

DELETED

Thats true.

Don’t you think an exception to that rule is where the entire thread has been locked? Sure, people involved in it can no longer post to it, but they can still edit their posts and defame others back and forth... in fact this is where the old “backwards british ___” came from... Beer edited his post 3 times after the initial lock to say that.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Maurits wrote:
    Editing posts should be wiki-style... you can edit your own posts as much as you want, but when you do a little "view previous versions" widget appears.  Previous versions can only be deleted by appealing to an admin.

Yes, please. Adam, Charles? Can we have this pretty please with a cherry on top?

Please?

• User profile image
    Chadk

Maurits wrote:

Good plan!

Wheres Adam? Could be interresting if this is possible.

I would also like to know if theres any logging of posts, so we could try and see all posts by beer, and see if they match the quotes in his book?

• User profile image
    Chadk

dahat wrote:
    Chadk wrote:
    jaylittle wrote:

DELETED

Thats true.

Don’t you think an exception to that rule is where the entire thread has been locked? Sure, people involved in it can no longer post to it, but they can still edit their posts and defame others back and forth... in fact this is where the old “backwards british ___” came from... Beer edited his post 3 times after the initial lock to say that.

Does the forum allow you to edit your posts, in a locked thread?
    Thats stupid.
    We need to change that aswell.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I just chipped in $2 to the fund

• User profile image
    Minh

The "Beer28 Adventures" fund is up to $7 (2 donors). Yay!

• User profile image
    dahat

Chadk wrote:
    Does the forum allow you to edit your posts, in a locked thread?
    Thats stupid.
    We need to change that aswell.

Sadly you can. Take these two (1, 2)Beer posts in two different locked threads... both locked, and both edited after the fact. Part of the way you can tell this is looking at the date and time on the empty posts in relation to the rest of the thread.

I agree though... it is kind of a shame and should be changed... I believe it has been asked for and no official word given.

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

The more I think about this, the more this book looks like some kind of weird "blackmail" thing...you know a few people inside Microsoft will pick this book up just out of curiousity.  I guess now I can say I know someone who posted a bunch of FUD garbage in a forum, collected the comments and then published a book. 

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Minh wrote:
    The "Beer28 Adventures" fund is up to $7 (2 donors). Yay!

Try to buy it from the link above!

Then, if Chris complains, report him to Paypal.com Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.