Coffeehouse Thread

330 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Beer28 Adventures

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Minh

PaoloM wrote:
    Minh wrote:The "Beer28 Adventures" fund is up to $7 (2 donors). Yay!

Try to buy it from the link above!

Then, if Chris complains, report him to Paypal.com
    Done. But I have a feeling that won't work.

• User profile image
    Minh

Thanks to a benefactor, we've got enough for the book fund, folks. DONT send in anymore.

I'll be ordering it immediately.

• User profile image
    dahat

Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote:
    The more I think about this, the more this book looks like some kind of weird "blackmail" thing...you know a few people inside Microsoft will pick this book up just out of curiousity.  I guess now I can say I know someone who posted a bunch of FUD garbage in a forum, collected the comments and then published a book. 

We need to stop giving him so much credit... he hasn’t published a book, he’s created a PDF. Sure they are very similar, however publishing a actual, physical book has at least some tangible value... even if as nothing more than a door stop... this so called PDF book of his is likely completely worthless.

We need to stop calling it a book or anything so lofty... PDF sounds pretty fair to me... no connotations either way... and accurate.

Good idea Paolo... of course it would depends on if his IPN page is setup to check the amount of the order. Given that there is a return URL specified in the PayPal link (http://www.beercosoftware.com/success/ebook.shtml) it is likely that it is an automatic thing.

Edit: I spent a fair amount of time a couple of months ago trying to better understand the PayPal system when I was building my lil beg page and in the process learned one key thing... if you care about security and the amount of money you are receiving... ENCRYPT the data used to generate your PayPal links! Beer must not have seen that checkbox in the wizard.

• User profile image
    Angus

Minh wrote:
    Thanks to a benefactor, we've got enough for the book fund, folks. DONT send in anymore.

Nice one; thanks to the donators Smiley

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Awesome Smiley

• User profile image
    Chadk

Angus wrote:
    Minh wrote: Thanks to a benefactor, we've got enough for the book fund, folks. DONT send in anymore.

Nice one; thanks to the donators

Angus Higgins

Word on that!
    Its gonna be interresting whats written in the PDC!

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

You know, you goofballs should redirect the Beer28 book fund to the red cross or something, that'll put the money at literally infinite more use. Not to mention that you shouldn't buy the first copy of his eBook.

• User profile image
    Maurits

I have to question the legality of buying a book "collectively."

• User profile image
    zzzzz

Maurits wrote:

its not as long as each of us don't open or read it at the same time... 

• User profile image
    Minh

Maurits wrote:
    Libraries do it. NetFlix does it. As long as we don't read the book at the same time, we should be OK.

• User profile image
    Maurits

jaylittle wrote:
    Well then you will surely question me when I post a public download link to it on my website, eh?

Yup.

• User profile image
    Minh

jaylittle wrote:
    Maurits wrote:I have to question the legality of buying a book "collectively."

Well then you will surely question me when I post a public download link to it on my website, eh?  That is assuming the content is libelous and/or modifies the content of discussions that were originally posted here.

You can publish copyright work if you're doing a review of it. The amount is subjective. "as long as it doesn't hurt future sale" of the work Wink whatever that means.

• User profile image
    zzzzz

Minh wrote:
    Libraries do it. NetFlix does it. As long as we don't read the book at the same time, we should be OK.

NetFlex has to pay royalties to the owners, or they pay a higher fee for each movie

Libraries: There are exception in the copyright laws for them

• User profile image
    Maurits

Library law is a huge kettle of fish.  Let's not go into that.

• User profile image
    zzzzz

I doubt Beer has filed the documents to get copyright protection

and the biggest plus,  BEER has to track us down and sue us for damages  i don't think he is going to do that.  It would bankrupt him and most of us are in another country 

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

You know, we're all going to feel pretty stupid if this ends up getting slashdotted because 'Beer28' was a Something Awful prank...

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Not even the channelled idiocy of FYAD is as retarded as Beer28.

• User profile image
    Angus

Has anyone bought it yet?

Angus Higgins

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.