Coffeehouse Thread

43 posts

Spore

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • W3bbo

Latest gameplay video from GDC.

Very nifty indeed Smiley

However, the gameplay video seems a lot like Half-Life 2's (from May 2003's E3) in that it shows you everything the engine is capable of doing, and that's it. But still, methinks this sets a benchmark for games to come. (and I wonder if it will take the place of "Best game ever", current held by 1998's Half-Life)

• Khamul

This game just looks soooo good. I, personally, can't wait!

• Minh

This is actually from GDC of last year. Spore isn't being showcased much this year. They're gonna do an unveil at E3.

• Tom Servo

Here's the link to the uncut video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-775656482294094003&q=spore

The talk between the gameplay demo's interesting and funny, too.

• dahat

I want!

• SlackmasterK

<script kiddie>
    OMG that iz th3 sh!tz0r!
    </script>

Seriously though: Who what when where why?

• zzzzz

that be cool. 

Death to all other planets 

• SlackmasterK

Google Video's Description wrote:

'Spore', which looks like it could possibly be the best video game ever.

Agreed.  Now dammit lemme play it.

• Tom Servo

Fall 2006. At least planned.

• Angus

That is one amazing game; I'm no gamer, but that will be one thing I will buy. I am looking forward to that, it is exactly the type of game I like. Thanks for the link W3bbo.

Angus Higgins

• TommyCarlier

I like it a lot. This is so much more than a game.

• Angus

My previous post was made during the first part of the video; I was completely in awe of the game at that point, and that was before the bit about going to other planets, galaxies, etc.

I have watched the whole thing and I can honestly say I am speechless; I can't describe how much I want the game now.

I am very excited about this; it is like the perfect game that could be made in my eyes.

Angus Higgins

• Tom Servo

I hope you watched the full edit. His babble about the carebear kingdom is just awesome.

• W3bbo

Angus wrote:
    My previous post was made during the first part of the video; I was completely in awe of the game at that point, and that was before the bit about going to other planets, galaxies, etc.

I have watched the whole thing and I can honestly say I am speechless; I can't describe how much I want the game now.

I am very excited about this; it is like the perfect game that could be made in my eyes.

I've seen a lot; Spore has the potential to be revolutionary, but as Will Wright said, Spore is just a bunch of games stitched together (SimLife + SimAnt + "SimTribe" + SimCity + Civilization + a bit of CNC + Alpha Centuri). I'd say I'm expecting this kind of game for a while, but I'm afraid that too much of the game is hard-coded and not flexible enough (for instance, it limits you to "life as we know it" and not other forms of life, like non-carbon based, for example)

• sbc

W3bbo wrote:
    I'd say I'm expecting this kind of game for a while, but I'm afraid that too much of the game is hard-coded and not flexible enough (for instance, it limits you to "life as we know it" and not other forms of life, like non-carbon based, for example)

That is a pretty big 'limit' and will keep you busy for many hours.

• Steve411

Wow.

- Steve

• harumscarum

Looks cool, intelligent design.Big Smile

• W3bbo

harumscarum wrote:
    Looks cool, intelligent design.

Comedy.

But seriously, I'd say the game models itself more on "guided evolution" than pure "intelligent design" or "creationism", since the two latter imply spontaneousness. (Then again, to my knowledge the game doesn't explain how the single-celled lifeform started out)

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.