31 posts

Why not a new Notepad to Vista?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

You haven't heard about the new NotePad icon?

• User profile image
    littleguru

Keep it simple, let it as it is.

• User profile image
    Manip

I don't want a new notepad in Vista... However I would like to see them fix the *NIX new line thing...

• User profile image
    IRenderable

Manip wrote:
    I don't want a new notepad in Vista... However I would like to see them fix the *NIX new line thing...

QFE.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

My biggest annoyance in Notepad 2600 is that when I save a file, it would frequently move the cursor and text around, but not refresh that text until it's selected. Thus when I select text it's different from what I saw before selecting it. Selecting all and then deselecting all would fix this problem.  This happens most of the time when I save a file.  I haven't noticed this in Notepad 5308 or 5342.

• User profile image
    Ideas Man

gkrishnaa wrote:
    Wat the Vista guys could do is probably put a Tab concept in Notepad. Not telling to remove the Menus.But put the tabs as that in IE 7.

Oh god please don't! What is it these days and people with tabs? Ever since a browser had tabs, everything HAS to have tabs. IMO, a browser with tabs, yes a good idea, it's one of the few programs that has many, many windows open all over the joint and tabs for that are justified, notepad, hell no. Windows Explorer shouldn't have tabs either (but that's off topic).

The only change I would make to notepad would be line numbers, VS style, otherwise it does what it aims to do perfectly, there's no need for changes to basic functionality, maybe some style, but that's it. All the added garbage just slows it down, which defeats the purpose of it, it's designed to open super fast and provide straight text editing, if I wanted heaps of formatting and the like, I'd open Word.

• User profile image
    balupton

notepad is so successfull because it is so simple.

Although a notepad+ or something seperate/aswell would be cool, tabs and colors for coding, like the linux text editors.

• User profile image
    blowdart

balupton wrote:

Although a notepad+ or something seperate/aswell would be cool, tabs and colors for coding, like the linux text editors.

*pop*

__     _____________________________________________________
    / \ / Hi, \
    | | | |
    @ @ | It looks like you're trying to write a Windows |
    | | | Shell Script. Would you like to turn on colour |
    || || | coding? |
    || || \_____________________________________________________/
    |\_/|
    \___/

• User profile image
    Wells

I wouldn't mind some syntax highlighting for common file types, maybe a tab option... or is this going beyond what Notepad is supposed to be?

• User profile image
    blowdart

Manip wrote:

I've been logging DNS requests on my Windows DNS server (because I'm seeing way more DNS traffic than normal, and wondered if people were trying to kick off the recursion attacks).

The Windows DNS server logs in *nix style. LF only.

• User profile image
    Maurits

Please don't mess with Notepad.  I even like the CRLF vs. LF incompatibility.  If I need to read UNIX text files I use Wordpad.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

how about new MMC, i don't like it at all, its so ugly.

• User profile image
    Manip

Why don't you write a new MMC?

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    AndyC

yman wrote:
    I use notepad2 , quite good. Supports syntax highlighting, line numbers etc. The most favourite feature which i adore, is the gotoline function

Modal find dialog though. Absolutely unforgivable...

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

blowdart wrote:
    |  |   | Shell Script. Would you like to turn on colour      |
    || ||  | coding?                                             |
    || ||  \_____________________________________________________/
    |\_/|
    \___/

It's the devil I tell you!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.