Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What do you want from Vista?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

Hey Microsoft!, keep in mind that we, Windows users, want something from your OSs, so when you make a new OS think about features that we want in it, don't put in it some crap.

- A New Window Option (like in IE)
      - New Design (MMC, My Computer, Explorer (remove that stupid search box from it, and add something really useful))
      - New Components in OS (.NET, Virtual PC, P2P Client (like eMule), )

other sugestions?

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

What do I want?

some crap.

a pony.

But seriously,

A New Window option where? In every app? In Windows Explorer?

MMC, yeah it kinda bites.
    My Computer, new design that does what?
    Explorer, I like the search box. Hands off my lovely search box.

New components:
    .NET, already there
    Virtual PC, Enterprise version
    P2P client, stop stealing movies / downloading smut Wink (and I think they're going to have some kind of meeting oriented p2p stuff in Vista too).

Point being, if you want them to accept your suggestions:
    a) don't be obnoxious
    b) explain with some modicum of detail what you want
    c) submit them via the Vista bug reporter or the suggestion email address, details of which escape me at this late hour.
    d) If you haven't noticed, they're late getting this thing out. They're in bug-fixing mode. I doubt you'll be seeing any new features make it into Vista. Live with this.

• User profile image
    Heywood_J

An operating system shouldn't really have "features".  Those belong in the applications I use.

I want an OS - any OS - to be solid and not full of security holes that can be 0wned by script kiddies 5 seconds after plugging into a cable modem.

Don't waste my time (and my hard drive space) by including a bunch of crappy programs (paint, cd burning, etc)  that are several orders of magnitude worse than most shareware programs.

I want an OS to be transparent - let me run my applications, get work done and not be bothered by stupid animated dogs and paperclips.

• User profile image
    YellowBook

Heywood_J wrote:
    An operating system shouldn't really have "features".  Those belong in the applications I use.

I want an OS to be transparent - let me run my applications, get work done and not be bothered by stupid animated dogs and paperclips.

Amen.

• User profile image
    sc00ter

I would have to agree there.  Have a more fine-grained selection of what windows will install.  Enable the user more power/choices during the installation.

With windows xp, There are many things I don't want installed.  If I had the time, I'd create a custom install CD that wouldn't include those things.  (Winlite maybe)

Give an option during install for everything that won't effect the system. 

Maybe a quicker way of installing windows?   As I see it, install times have almost doubled for each new version.

Windows 95 -   10-20 mins)
    Windows 98SE - 15-25 mins
    Windows XP - 25-40 mins
    Windows Vista - 40-60 mins (or more!)

I think thats crazy. 

Maybe create a base OS image that is common to everyone, and then copy that over to the HD/Partition etc, then say ok, OS is installed and give the user a choice to go on and install other things or end the install with nothing but OS stuff.  Windows, Drivers, a browser. No games, no default images/sounds, no multimedia stuff. Just a nice clean fast running system.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

I want that stupid little search box, I find it to be very useful both in Explorer and on the start menu.  Better security, which Vista has.  Good applications for Calendaring, included.  Good Application for photomanagement, included. RAW support, included.  Decent mail client, included.  

• User profile image
    sc00ter

To add to my previous post of the things I didn't think about..

The ability to run AERO GLASS on less capable systems.   I've got a AGP card that DX8 compatible.   How about running the composition engine without the "glass" ?  Smiley   Having a system that doesn't have the dragging effects/tearing would be a definate plus.

That I know is possible because I've seen it using linux on my system.  Though, it didn't have the "GLASS" effect, the shadows and tear free/drag effect free desktop was really nice to have.

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

Vista has the whole image-install thing going on, it's called a staged install. Even on the beta it's pretty fast and I expect an increase in speed as we move closer to RTM.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Based on what I've seen, I'd settle for what it is now - Plus List View, support for my many ATA controllers and LDDM video cards, and all the other gooey stuff we were promised to have by now. Dammit if I have the specs for Glass I should be able to get Glass!

Also, I'd like to see a workaround for ATI's technical flaw that prevents TV Wonders from working when there are multiple Radeons installed.

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

One thing I like is how the user experience has become more focused on the apps. I've been running Vista as a daily os for a week now and in the beginning I thought glass would get annoying after a bit. But now after the initial oohs and aahs I've really begun to enjoy it. Because of the glass it doesn't distract you from the actual content in the window, there's no bright colors or anything else that could get annoying.

Previously I've always switched to the classic theme since it frees up screen-estate but now it looks like I'm sticking with glass. Smiley

• User profile image
    ZippyV

ddewbofh wrote:
    Even on the beta it's pretty fast and I expect an increase in speed as we move closer to RTM.

Even with the latest build, it's still slower than an installation of Windows XP.

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

On this machine it's faster than XPs install, atleast the 32-bit install. x64 is still pretty slow and I'm beginning to suspect that it doesn't do a staged install if you go for the custom install.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

I want to partition my browser to have RSS feeds docked somewhere. I'd like to automate the content of my browser easily so that 'profiles' can be run for many views of whatever I want to aggregate. You get the idea, saved formats, saved pages that all refresh in real time. Load a profile that's all about the morning traffic congestion with my arrangement of camera shots or graphics on the maps showing congestion. Then load a profile at lunch to remind me of all the restaurant possibilities, not only the ones I loaded, but whatever is in proximity and can 'register' itself onto the view. This is what I see coming, just don't know who or when. Oh yeah, add TV and DVR to the mix, it's all going that way, no? Can I do all of this on a giant wall sized TV/monitor like he who must not be named?

Big Smile

Maybe I'm thinking of a Smart Client app with lots of mini-me browsers...

• User profile image
    zzzzz

Heywood_J wrote:

I want an OS - any OS - to be solid and not full of security holes that can be 0wned by script kiddies 5 seconds after plugging into a cable modem.

Don't waste my time (and my hard drive space) by including a bunch of crappy programs (paint, cd burning, etc)  that are several orders of magnitude worse than most shareware programs.

not be bothered by stupid animated dogs and paperclips.

Can i get a Amen brother

AMEN

Please God let me be shoot that worthless dog and leave him the corn field where he ate my game.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

zzzzz wrote:
    Heywood_J wrote:

not be bothered by stupid animated dogs and paperclips.

Can i get a Amen brother

AMEN

Please God let me be the one to shoot that worthless dog and leave him the corn field where he ate my game.

AMEN.

That part about the dog... LOL.

• User profile image
    CoLD FiRe

Heywood_J wrote:

I totally agree with you on the Search Dog and the Paperclip Office Assistant. But if you bothered to notice there’s no more office assistant in Office 2007 nor is there the Search Dog (Or any other Characters) in Vista's Search.

And everyone wants an operating system thats solid and not full of security holes.

But for you final statement I TOTALLY DISSAGREE!
    Windows if for the masses. There for it should have MANY MANY features far more so than what is currently included. If I buy a computer and a copy of windows a don’t want to then have to go and waste my hard earned money on apps to carry out simple tasks like simple photo editing or burning cds/dvds.

Though I do agree that you get a lot of crap installed that you probably either; won’t use/don’t need or have a more powerful 3rd party app that carries out a better job at task.
    So to solve that there should simply be the option during the windows installation environment to choose exactly what services and applications that you would like to be installed. And on the other side and express install that just allows you to intall Vista with hardly any further input.

Vista is missing heaps of GREAT features that longhorn had planned as we all know. So saying that OS’s shouldn’t have features as such is total BS.

All I can say to you Heywood_J is if you want a very light OS that has hardly any bundled crap and which is transparent and allows you to get work done then go and try out one of the many great Linux Distores out there.

• User profile image
    Cider

blatzcoder wrote:
    This is why I don't get the concept of a Windows Firewall.  It's just another layer of Swiss cheese to defend against the problems in the original block of Swiss cheese, the OS. 

The Windows Firewall is an excellently designed firewall, actually, allowing system admins to configure it exactly as needed without opening holes unnecessarily.

Recently, at work, we have been discussing the strategy for Vista and other things, and it is surprising that the key areas that Vista is required for - none of the "pillars", but most are pushing for the core areas where it fits in the next 3-7 years - technologies such as UAP, IPv6, NAP, wireless support, etc.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.