Coffeehouse Thread

26 posts

Channel 9 - What's next?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    lenn

Last week I posted that the team and I were going to unplug for a day and do some thinking and planning.  We took your feedback and did just that.  It was a long and somewhat intense day but at the end, we walked away feeling good about Channel 9 and what we have built as a community.  While we are not going to make radical changes to Channel 9 (why fix what is not broken?) we are going to continue to make refinements to the site.  Here is a quick summary of what we have coming in the near future on Channel 9 to make the experience better and keep it valuable for all. 

• Downloadable Video - We got the message, Videos, Videos, Videos and more of them!  We are going to have the complete Channel 9 video archive available for download by the end of the week and will post each new video with a downloadable version starting next week.
    • Downloadable Audio and Transcripts - Each new video post will have a streaming video, a downloadable video, an MP3 and WMA version, and a text transcript when posted in the near future.  We are working on a new production process that will make this easier and faster for our small team.  Now you can take Channel 9 content with you everywhere and share it with friends and colleagues.
    • Sorting of Video and Forums - You want to view the forums and videos different ways.  Sometimes you want to see the latest active, sometimes you want to view by date.  We are going to make the forums easier to use.
    • Videos in other languages and from around the world - Microsoft is a global company with employees in just about every country in the world, we are going to bring more of Microsoft to you in more languages.
    • Simplifying the site - We are cleaning up everything from the navigation to the forums to make it simpler to find what you are looking for when you are looking for it and to make everything easier and more elegant. 
    • The Poll returns ...
    • And a few other surprises that you will just have to wait for Smiley
    Thanks again for all of your help, support, and great ideas.  Keep em coming, and Keep on posting. 

Lenn and the Channel 9 Team

• User profile image
    gswitz

Thanks for all your hard work!

• User profile image
    Blue​Firehawk02

Right On! Thanks for listening and keep on truck'n!

• User profile image
    HellSnoopy

Great job guys Wink Keep the good work

ps: I hope yall make separeted rss feeds , for video / forums / moblog

• User profile image
    sudhakar

I love this Video downloads feature...Smiley Thanks very much C9 team..

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

Thanks heaps for making c9 even better! I hope you have a high wage, because its probably pretty hard to handly all these people.

• User profile image
    Jaz

excellent news guys, you're already doing a fine job and this will make it even better.

hope you recorded the meeting...

• User profile image
    webestilo

Great!
    Thanks!!!

Please, text transcript!!!
    ASAP

• User profile image
    RamblingGeek​UK

Great News about the downloadable Video, I can watch them on my iPAQ....

Great Site,

Is one of the surprise's an interview with Bill?

• User profile image
    Sathyaish Chakravarthy

Surprise!

I was out, at the client site for the last 2 weeks, and shall resume work again at the client site from tomorrow till another few days. As much as I did wish, just for that reason, I could not check out Channel 9 during the last two weeks.

Downloadable video was a badly needed feature. I would have suggested that too. Now I can download my favourite videos and view them offline. Nice!

Another feature that I think might be needed would be the page-number-wise access to the pages on the forum. Let me explain.

When I visit the Coffee House, I sometimes want to read some of the old posts that were made many days ago. If the posts have been recently replied to, good for me - I find them on the first page. However, if they have not been replied to in a long time, I should expect to find them on another page. For our example, if the post I am looking for is on page 27, I have hit the navigation buttons at the bottom a several times until I am taken to page 5 first, then page 7, page 9 and so on until I finally arrive on page 27. If there was some locked list-style combo box with a selectable page number, I could just choose the page number in the forum and get there.

The changes in Channel 9 are very welcome. It's been great work by the team. Thank you, Channel 9. I love this place.

• User profile image
    Tyko

Thank you! Smiley great work!

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

... This list sounds the same as the one from when the site launched all those months ago...

• User profile image
    kaef

ooh! very good!

I need downloadable video option because at work with we network configuration i don´t see this videos.

other question....

can you translate to spanish de videos? ok it´s a lot of work but...can you put write translation (subtitles).. Sad my english is very bad :____(

Saludos Cordiales, Carlos Fouz

• User profile image
    scobleizer

All the downloads are now done and are working their way through the system. They should be up by the morning here on microsoft.com/downloads.

We're now working on putting a download link on each video. We'll let you know when that's done.

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

Thanks for listening to us. Maybe for the next round of changes, you might make the site a bit more PocketPC / PDA friendly. I just noticed today!

• User profile image
    ethan

Thanks a lot for listening to us.
    Your future seems to be with lots of hours spend to code new features!
    If you need coffee let us know we may provide support!... lol
    I love the way this website is moving.
    Because it(s perhaps CHristmas, do you think you 'll have the  opportunity to record  B. Gates interviewed by C9??..

That's all folks!
    Have a nice day.

• User profile image
    Kaelan

Looking forward to seeing all these changes, I just hope my Code Repository (ala Planet-Source-Code) idea gets in there eventually Wink

• User profile image
    eddwo

The video download links are great, but could you possibly include the file size next to the link? The Don Box one is over 115MB, which would take me at least 4 hours to download.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.