Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

New Diet Mountain Dew formula?!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    bluvg

    I know a lot of programmers share Dt. Dew as a drink of choice.  I'm wondering if anyone else has tasted the new formula ("Tuned Up Taste") yet.  It just made it to our office vending machines two days ago. 

    In my opinion, I hope this will go down like New Coke!

  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

    Yeah, I hope it goes away too.  The stuff tastes like mule sperm

    bluvg wrote:
    I know a lot of programmers share Dt. Dew as a drink of choice.  I'm wondering if anyone else has tasted the new formula ("Tuned Up Taste") yet.  It just made it to our office vending machines two days ago. 

    In my opinion, I hope this will go down like New Coke!

  • User profile image
    DoomBringer

    rjdohnert wrote:
    Yeah, I hope it goes away too.  The stuff tastes like mule sperm

    bluvg wrote: I know a lot of programmers share Dt. Dew as a drink of choice.  I'm wondering if anyone else has tasted the new formula ("Tuned Up Taste") yet.  It just made it to our office vending machines two days ago. 

    In my opinion, I hope this will go down like New Coke!

    Why would you know what mule sperm tastes like? Perplexed

  • User profile image
    BryanF

    Viva Dr. Pepper! Big Smile

  • User profile image
    bluvg

    I just found a site detailing how to make your dissatisfaction heard:

    http://newdietdewisyucky.com/

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Good thing Mountain Dew is banned over here Smiley

  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

    Simply a figure of speech.

    DoomBringer wrote:
    rjdohnert wrote: Yeah, I hope it goes away too.  The stuff tastes like mule sperm

    bluvg wrote: I know a lot of programmers share Dt. Dew as a drink of choice.  I'm wondering if anyone else has tasted the new formula ("Tuned Up Taste") yet.  It just made it to our office vending machines two days ago. 

    In my opinion, I hope this will go down like New Coke!

    Why would you know what mule sperm tastes like?

  • User profile image
    SlackmasterK

    bluvg wrote:
    In my opinion, I hope this will go down like New Coke!


    This could be enterpreted either as you wishing it to "go away" like the new Coke, or as you wishing it "tastes" like New Coke. I'll assume the former; and thusly agree.

    W3bbo, limiting your options primarily based on health concerns is never a good thing.  It should be up to you whether or not you want to poison your body with this snot soup.  Having said that, I drink full-flavor Mountain Dew at a rate of about 6-12 cans a day. It tastes better in a can.

  • User profile image
    Steve411

    I'm a Sprite man.

    - Steve

  • User profile image
    amd_duron

    Good thing they have Diet MDX, it is good!  

  • User profile image
    bluvg

    Your assumption is correct.  As with New Coke, they made it quite a bit sweeter.  I can see how, in a taste test, you sip one and the other and think about the sweeter one, "yeah, that tastes better."  But that doesn't mean you want a whole can of the stuff!

  • User profile image
    billh

    bluvg wrote:
    Your assumption is correct.  As with New Coke, they made it quite a bit sweeter.  I can see how, in a taste test, you sip one and the other and think about the sweeter one, "yeah, that tastes better."  But that doesn't mean you want a whole can of the stuff!
    They made it sweeter? Yuck.  It's bad enough that it already eats away at your teeth...so add more sugar?

    Expressionless

  • User profile image
    amd_duron

    No not sugar, some diet sweetener, I have not looked at the bottole ot see if it is aspertame or sucralose, or like one I saw the other day saccharin(sugar free full throttle fury)!

  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    billh wrote:
    bluvg wrote:Your assumption is correct.  As with New Coke, they made it quite a bit sweeter.  I can see how, in a taste test, you sip one and the other and think about the sweeter one, "yeah, that tastes better."  But that doesn't mean you want a whole can of the stuff!
    They made it sweeter? Yuck.  It's bad enough that it already eats away at your teeth...so add more sugar?



    Well, since it's a diet drink, they didn't add more sugar, they probably added more aspartame.  And I'll leave it up to you as to the health "benefits" of that.

  • User profile image
    billh

    CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    Well, since it's a diet drink, they didn't add more sugar, they probably added more aspartame.  And I'll leave it up to you as to the health "benefits" of that.
    Ah..."diet" Mountain Dew...didn't see that.  I've done pretty much everything I could to avoid aspartame (for lots of reasons that I won't list here).  It always had a weird aftertaste anyway.

  • User profile image
    bluvg

    Interestingly, the canned version uses a different formula than the fountain version (http://www.mountaindew.com/about_dew/product_info/dmd.php).  The fountain version does contain saccharin, which was a surprise to me ("Where's the Tab key?").

    The new canned formula still has aspartame, but it also has acesulfame potassium and sucralose.  Sodium benzoate has made the ingredients list, as well... and not as a replacement to potassium benzoate.  Maybe they want to extend that "freshness date" a ways?

  • User profile image
    dahat

    Water baby!

    The last thing I need is all of that extra sugar and caffeine running through my system.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.