Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

.NET Framework not required?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

hey,

how can i run .NET apps without .NET installed?

or in other words, how can i use mscorjit.dll, mscorwks.dll, mscorwks.dll and some other dlls, depends on (my app) what components my app is using (ex: if is a win forms app then System.Windows.Forms.dll is required, but not only) from BCL?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

You can't Smiley

They all require the CLR and the CLR depends on the BCL which depends on the CLR. And so on

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

so, what i need is to understand this dependence and so on.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

W3bbo wrote:
    CLR depends on the BCL..

what?

EDIT: ye sorry i forget about CTS and CLS.

• User profile image
    Sampy

You need to install the .Net framework. The easiest way to do that one machine is Windows Update. If you want to redistribute the runtime, check Microsoft's download site.

Here's the link for version 2.0

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Sampy wrote:

Not much help for 1.0/1.1 apps though.

• User profile image
    z33driver

If you have access to the source code, you could buy a linker and compile it all into one monolithic executable.  There's a couple out there if I recall correctly, I think the cheapest one was around $500 USD.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

W3bbo wrote:
    Sampy wrote: Here's the link for version 2.0

There is a similar method to include a bootstrap installer for 1.0 and 1.1 as well. 

I did one once and it was quite easy.   You create an msi project and make sure to download the .net bootstrap installer to have it included in the .msi file.  It is very small, too.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

W3bbo wrote:
    Sampy wrote:Here's the link for version 2.0

But this would be. (link for version 1.1)

• User profile image
    Dan

Ion Todirel wrote:
    hey,

how can i run .NET apps without .NET installed?

or in other words, how can i use mscorjit.dll, mscorwks.dll, mscorwks.dll and some other dlls, depends on (my app) what components my app is using (ex: if is a win forms app then System.Windows.Forms.dll is required, but not only) from BCL?

This isn't a feature that's native to the .NET Framework. Jason Zander, the .NET Framework GM had a good post on the subject that goes through the decision process for why the .NET Framework doesn't have a linker.

You can, as someone else mentioned, use 3rd party tools like Remotesoft .NET Linker (now with 2.0 support) for this.

Hope this helps,
    -Dan

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

You can also add the .NET Framework to your images if you are a corporate and fulfill the dependancy that way.  The .NET Framework is a great tool and doesnt have that much overhead or complexity.

• User profile image
    ScaleOven​Stove

yeah, you need a linker. RemoteSoft works - your apps are going to be between 5-10 mb instead of 400k though. There are some other linkers but their licensing schemes are wacked. I've tried remotesoft and it works, if you can deal with the size factor Smiley

• User profile image
    Shark_M

I think the availablity of the .Net framework ,both 1.1 and 2.0, in customers pcs by default  is important for developers everywhere who choose to develop using .net framework (VS2005).

Its unfortunate that microsoft did n ot step up efforts to make 2.0 available in at least 90% of most people's PCs from Win 98 to Vista.

Now developers like myself and others, have to tell their users to download the Large .net framework file, in their pcs, and some have no high speed some have the good old dial up. So its sucks from this prespective.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

do you know other linkers? $1000 for a linker :O

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.