Coffeehouse Thread

34 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Scoble to leave Channel 9 for Google

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Jaz wrote:
    wait wait.  scoble posted on his blog he's going to google, obvious april fool right, none of us are falling for it, bruce comes in saying yeah this coulda been done better (bruce being in on it).

so none of us are falling for it.  but thats the april fools he's made it so blatant that it is an april fools but it's actually not and he has left MSFT for GOOG.

so err is this double bluff or something?

• User profile image
    bonk

Scoble, does this mean you will move to China1?

_______
    1 http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/04/01/china_buys_google/

• User profile image
    arun_coorg

Oh Shocking...Ops..[C]  NOoo...We miss you.

Oh Yeh ! Its April Fools day Big Smile
    Nice one Wink
    Cheers
    -Arun

• User profile image
    Steve411

Chadk: Email me

• User profile image
    raymond

The rumor is Robert got as a sign-on bonus a new Google Enabled Everwhere Kitchen (GEEK) code name EATME!

The real reason Robert is leaving is that his former boss at Microsoft  told him to either lose weight or stop appearing in the videos. 

The devs at Microsoft want to see more sexy woman interviewers in the Channel 9 videos and not former designers that use Apple computers.

Instead of counting calories, Robert would rather count the number of videos he is in, 500+

Robert in response to questions that he is leaving Microsoft, said "I always wanted to be just a a fat smart rich client, Google enables be to achieve my goals!"

Raymond;)

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Well, at least at Google, you will be easier to find...   :O

• User profile image
    jmsma2005

I expect there will be a forum called Channel g.

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

jmsma2005 wrote:

Nah, probaly more like a Channel Fluffy-Bunnies

• User profile image
    iStation

Hahaha...

April gool! Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Jason Cox wrote:
    jmsma2005 wrote:

Nah, probaly more like a Channel Fluffy-Bunnies

No, that's the OSTG's next project.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Yeah this made the front page of /.

• User profile image
    Zeo

Steve411 wrote:
    Sabot wrote: I'm Beer28 !

HAHA! That just made my day, haha.

- Steve

Best April fools joke....I'm still laughing about it 4 hours later.Perplexed

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Can Microsoft employees leave that quickly?

Microsoft once sued Google for hiring an ex-Microsoft employee who allegedly was under a "non-compete" contract. The contracts exists to prevent employees from sharing corporate secrets to competitors.

Do all Microsoft employees have to consent to this contract?

Regards,
    Vincent

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    Microsoft once sued Google for hiring an ex-Microsoft employee who allegedly was under a "non-compete" contract.

There, fixed that for you.
    Xaero_Vincent wrote:

Pretty much everybody in the industry has contracts like that.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Microsoft is not the only ones with a non-compete agreement, professional athletes have non-compete agreements as well.  Most tech companies will make you sign one ff you dont want to work in the industry, dont sign.

Xaero_Vincent wrote:

• User profile image
    Rossj

PaoloM wrote:
    Xaero_Vincent wrote:Do all Microsoft employees have to consent to this contract?

Pretty much everybody in the industry has contracts like that.

But there are limits on what an employer can realistically demand. Expecting you to not work in IT for X months is unenforcable (at least in the UK), expecting you to not work at a direct competitor for 3-6 months is probably realistic (and may even be fair). 

It all depends, going from the Windows groups to work on Search at Google would probably be okay, going from MSN Search to Google Search not so okay. Not all of Microsoft competes with Google (although I don't know much about the specific Microsoft->Google defection).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.