Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

when ID3 is not enought

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

hey, i want some suggestions about what info about music should i store:

I have three tables: Artist, Album and Song, what do you think what cols this tables should have?

Artist or Band: ID, Name, Picture, Bio, Top Albums, Top Songs, Active Years, Country, Genre(s), Style(s), ...

Album: ID, Name, Picture, Artist ID, Review, Year, Rating, Lenght, ...

Song or Track: ID (this scheme will also have a Playlist table), Name, Album ID, Rating, Lenght, Bitrate, Composer, Genre, Style, Track #, Location, Comment, ...

What else to store, what not to store? thanks.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

ID3v2 supports all of those though.

• User profile image
    andokai

Disk number?

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

yes http://www.id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames.txt it does, but it's very slow to read ID3 tags when you have 1,000,000 of songs or even 1000.

do you know a good ID3 component for .NET?

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

andokai wrote:
    Disk number?
    You can but, disk # exist only if you have albums that contains more that 20 tracks, so it's split on 2-3-4 disks, it's not a logical split.

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

Ion Todirel wrote:
    Artist or Band: ID, Name, Picture, Bio, Top Albums, Top Songs, Active Years, Country, Genre(s), Style(s), ...

Instead of having the Top Albums and Top Songs columns, simply normalize them to a TopAlbums and TopSongs tables, connecting the Artist and Album/Song tables.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.