Coffeehouse Thread

23 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

New name for Linux?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Some guy on Slashdot's comments area suggested renaming "GNU/Linux" (or its common incorrect moniker "Linux") to "Lignux" or "LiGNUx", that way RMS won't be going off on a tangent everytime someone omits the "GNU" bit (which is pronounced "Guh-new" btw).

It would also mean they won't run into trademark disputes with the detergent powder of the same name.

As a diversion, let's not forget a few other major operating systems with an identity problem, oh... and Tux Ketchup.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

useless (renaming) still ...

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

How exactly would you pronounce that name? There's already 2 or 3 pronunciations for Linux out there (ex: Lin-ux, Lie-nix). And for reference, I say G-N-U.

• User profile image
    Sampy

It's very hard to resist the urge to use my moderator powers and change the title of this thread to New name for GNU/Linux?

My powers are for good, not for evil humor.

• User profile image
    jamie

the actual RMS link being refered to is:
    http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2006/04/unabridged-selective-transcript-of.html

i agree with the guy as impractical as it is
    do i use all free[dom] software?  nope. cant.
    Do i like what hes trying to say... yes

someone BIG has to step up to the plate on these issues and make them moot. Someone willing to put their users - before their bottom line.  Someone big enough - with enough weight to stand up for consumers and say no to hollywood - and no to even some of their own business practices.

The day that someone - does something - you will see thousands of people - normally critical of said - someone - turn around - rub the sleep from the eyes - and yell "kong is back!"

• User profile image
    David7738

jamie wrote:
    the actual RMS link being refered to is:
    http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2006/04/unabridged-selective-transcript-of.html

i agree with the guy as impractical as it is
    do i use all free[dom] software?  nope. cant.
    Do i like what hes trying to say... yes

someone BIG has to step up to the plate on these issues and make them moot. Someone willing to put their users - before their bottom line.  Someone big enough - with enough weight to stand up for consumers and say no to hollywood - and no to even some of their own business practices.

The day that someone - does something - you will see thousands of people - normally critical of said - someone - turn around - rub the sleep from the eyes - and yell "kong is back!"

Freedom software is that something like freedom fries?

Why  just limit it to just gnu/linux what about fsf/gnu/linux.  Linux is just the kernal, then there are the distros..

Are we also supposed to say google/xp/NT ?

• User profile image
    Maurits

Sampy wrote:
    It's very hard to resist the urge to use my moderator powers and change the title of this thread to New name for GNU/Linux?

Or "Gnu name for Linux"

• User profile image
    staceyw

How about Nul-ix, or Nilux?

• User profile image
    jamie

the new name for linux will be Google (as once they get around to it - thats what those machines will be known as)

hey kong...wake up! :O

• User profile image
    cyber_rigger

W3bbo wrote:
    Some guy on Slashdot's comments area suggested renaming "GNU/Linux" (or its common incorrect moniker "Linux") to "Lignux" or "LiGNUx", that way RMS won't be going off on a tangent everytime someone omits the "GNU" bit (which is pronounced "Guh-new" btw).

It would also mean they won't run into trademark disputes with the detergent powder of the same name.

As a diversion, let's not forget a few other major operating systems with an identity problem, oh... and Tux Ketchup.

Vista Windows

http://www.vistawindows.com.au/

http://vistawindows.com/

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Stallmans always been an idiot over how much recognition the Free Software Foundation should get.  I personally dont think they deserve any recognition, the tools built the software so what.  Does this mean that all software licensed under the GPL should be called GNU/{project name}?

• User profile image
    IRenderable

ANd I think hand made chairs should be called NameOfSawCompany/Chair because they used a saw from a certain company to make the chair. Perplexed Just because GNU tools are used in Linux and to make Linux doesn't mean that GNU should be in the name.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Linux vs GNU/Linux, Free Software vs OSS, KDE vs Gnome, vi vs. Emacs: The great debates of our time.

Or not.

• User profile image
    dahat

rjdohnert wrote:
    Stallmans always been an idiot over how much recognition the Free Software Foundation should get.  I personally dont think they deserve any recognition, the tools built the software so what.  Does this mean that all software licensed under the GPL should be called GNU/{project name}?

You misunderstand his argument... on one side you’ve got the Linux kernel and on the other the GNU tools. If we go back many years they were separate things and people setting up a proprietary *NIX system would often install a tool or three from the GNU set... in order to make the whole open source movement have real momentum it needed it’s own kernel, but because it came from the outside they couldn’t very well call it the GNU Kernel, so a compromise was made of calling it GNU/Linux to highlight the two different sides of it.

blatzcoder wrote:
    This board is amazing. This thread topic would be like me posting a "let's rename Vista" thread.

Vista. Corrupt, Controlling, Conceited.

Once again Beernutz you amaze me. You come out of your hole, complain that other people are trolling and not to be outdone... fire off your own volley of trolldom unrelated to the original topic.

Once again you disprove your pledge not to troll anymore and show your Beernutzness... or would that Beernutzdom if he is showing himself to be Beernutz?

• User profile image
    Sabot

Hey the whole world has just got educated to the word 'Linux', whether it is correct or not, if some bright spark wants to change it just to prove a point then they have got to be prepared to re-educate the whole world again.

Renaming Linux would actually be a set back for Linux.

... and the beneficial point would be ???

• User profile image
    blowdart

Sabot wrote:

... and the beneficial point would be ???

It might shut RMS up, or at least stop him being so bitter?

Maybe he might even get the mach kernel finished Tongue Out

• User profile image
    BenZilla

blatzcoder wrote:
    This board is amazing. This thread topic would be like me posting a "let's rename Vista" thread.

Vista. Corrupt, Controlling, Conceited.

And the thing is, most discussion was sensible on this topic. If people started saying:

Linux. Crappity crap crap,

Then you would have a point.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

blowdart wrote:
    Maybe he might even get the mach kernel finished

GNU/Hurd, not Mach.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.