Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

IDEs

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

Hey,

i want to figure out who is the best IDE in their area (Web Services, Desktop App, Web Sites, Components Design, UML Support, Tools Supports (extensibility) etc.), on different OSs and some of their features. My favorite is: 

Microsoft (use vendor name!) Visual Studio 2005 (here i love support for Web Services, Visual Designer, not so much coding support (Code Rush, Resharper is still better)), bad at extensibility, for Windows i think is one of the best.

Borland C++ BuilderX, cross platform, support for multiple compilers (great support for switching compilers). Some refractoring. UML support = zero without Together.

IBM? Eclipse, slow, really slow, great support for refractoring and extensibility, cross platform, visual designer = bad or at least < VS, UML support = good.

what IDE are you using? why? what others do you know? please help.

EDIT: and what tools do you use? i use Together for UML Support (in VS 2003, sometimes Visio but i hate it, sometimes EA, don't know what to use in VS2005), Refractor Pro, Code Rush, Visual SourceSafe (and Merant PVCS), NUnit, Reflector, WiX, sometimes Borland Optimizeit, InstallShield Developer, Virtual PC, and some other tools.

P.S. Please response to all questions.

EDIT II: I use Visual Studio 2005 Professional

• User profile image
    die-Sel

I use VS 2005 Pro for most of my work, but if am on the laptop i run SharpeDevelop, its lighter on resources and my laptop is a P3 700mhz.

/me soo needs to get a new laptop

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Hardcore VS2003 fan here, I don't touch 2005 unless it's absolutely necessary.

• User profile image
    Wells

I use VC++ 2005 IDE for editing, and compile on the command line with make + the VC++ 2003 compiler.

Why the older compiler? Because the new one gives about 100x more errors and warnings for microsoft's own headers than the 2003 version! That and the new cl.exe requires about 1000 environment variables to even run.

When compiling on *nix I can just build with a different makefile and everything works hunky-dory.

• User profile image
    Detroit Muscle

I'll have to say Matlab/Simulink is my favorite professional software development environment, yet our customers mandate the use of I-logix Statemate instead for reasons I'm still trying to figure out.

For my personal projects, I use Atmel AVR studio 4. Very slick for a free product.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

Any kind of development on a PC: VS2k3 (haven't upgraded yet)

Java: Eclipse

Linux: Emacs (eeeewwww) and gcc

BlackBerry: RIM's own IDE.  Its relatively full featured

teh Edit: I forgot, for assembly (been a while) MASM 6.15.  I think MASM 6.13 is on Microsoft's site somewhere... I got 6.15 from a book.

• User profile image
    martin_lovi​ck

ive been using vs2003 recently because of the project, but vi is the best IDE for a real coder

• User profile image
    W3bbo

martin_lovick wrote:
    vi is the best IDE for a real coder

vi is a text-editor, not an IDE.

• User profile image
    martin_lovi​ck

i know that....REAL coders dont need IDEs !

that said, VS2003 is good if you need to learn C# quickly

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

martin_lovick wrote:
    i know that....REAL coders dont need IDEs !

that said, VS2003 is good if you need to learn C# quickly
    if you want to be productive you will use an IDE, and some other tools (some times an IDE is not enought). Programming (to be a real coder programmer) does't depends on what tools/languages are you using or if you use a compiler/linker and write code in notepad or an IDE, if you have good memory you can program without IntelliSense.

And what is a real coder?

• User profile image
    martin_lovi​ck

Ion Todirel wrote:

And what is a real coder?

someone bought up on K&R rather than Excel/VBA

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

why you use coder instead of programmer sience is the same?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Ion Todirel wrote:
    why you use coder instead of programmer sience is the same?

It harkens back to the days when "coder" literally meant someone who had to encode all their instructions in hex or machine-code. Compare to a "programmer" which conjurs up stereotypical images of bandwagonner BASIC and COBOL "programmers" from the 70s who gave us those horrible legacy systems we have to maintain today.

...at least in my mind.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

i that that coders means o person that implements algorithms in a programming language.

• User profile image
    arunpv

I use VS2005/Borland Delphi/C++Builder
    Does Installshield Primier (its an IDE to create Installation) count?

For SQL Server - I like Query Analyser....

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

yep

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.