Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Windows Vista Survey

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    wildlywicked

Hi all,

I'm doing a small survey aimed primarily at people who have used (in any way, shape or form!) Windows Vista. I know you're out there! This is for a university assessment so I'm hoping you kind people can help me! If you'd like to complete the survey, please reply by writing your answers next to the corresponding numbers. Thanks in advance!

1. Whilst using Windows Vista, what were your initial reactions?
    2. What feature of Vista do you find most helpful/innovative and why?
    3. What factors would stop you or encourage you to buy/upgrade to Windows Vista? (e.g. price, etc.)
    4. What are some of Windows Vista's weaknesses?
    5. From the following, what would you rather purchase? Windows Vista, Smart Phone/PDA, Console, Mobile Phone. Please state why you chose what you did.
    6. Which of these do you find more important: security or entertainment capabilities? 

Feel free to answer as little or as many as you'd like. Once again, thanks! Big Smile

• User profile image
    die-Sel

drivers, had some serious issues with drivers and i mean serious.

Very good install, once it starts  you can leave it on your return, its up and running. I liked that

3. What factors would stop you or encourage you to buy/upgrade to Windows Vista? (e.g. price, etc.)

Just to start up to date, i like having the latest stuff on the market "when its ready"

System requirments, it needs a lot of power to run at top performance. In turn means a new computer

5. From the following, what would you rather purchase? Windows Vista, Smart Phone/PDA, Console, Mobile Phone. Please state why you chose what you did.

Console, I love my gaming, Sony PS3 is nxt on the list. Have a 360 and its sweet

6. Which of these do you find more important: security or entertainment capabilities? 

SECURITY SECURITY SECURITY i say. It has to be a secure O/s.

• User profile image
    KevinB

1. Very impressive graphically, however, the system requirments killed my spare PC and due to a lack of RAM the hard drive didn't stop clicking. Generally slow, bug ridden and incomplete. A good taste of things to come and can't wait for more stable builds though.
    2. I agree with the previous poster that the new install system is fantastic and IMHO long overdue. I look forward to seeing search integrated everywhere in the OS as well, although, I haven't had much of a chance to play with this.
    3. I will be getting Vista for free through my University so cost isn't an issue and I will be upgrading. If however, I had to pay to upgrade, I would be waiting probably until Service Pack 1 or at least a few months to see what issues there are with the OS and whether developers were taking full advantage of the new Vista features.
    4. Too early to say IMO, it is unstable, a real real memory hog, lots of random bugs and quirks, incosistency in the UI at times, horrible driver support, but, it is still a very early beta and is too early to say. I would imagine by the time it ships my biggest criticism will be system requirements, but I guess that is the price for progress.
    5. Smart phone/PDA as my computing needs are pretty up to date, I have a 360 so I am happy there and would like a nice mobile device. My number 1 choice at the min would prob be a tablet pc tho.
    6. A nice mix really, all my machines are behind a good firewall so I don't really have any security issues in that way. I guess ecurity would be more important though for the general population.

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

My initial reaction was that I couldnt beleive I had finally gotten into the Beta and had the ability to now use Vista. Driver support was great and Vista ran very smooth on my laptop (1.6GHz, 1.25Gb ram, 128mb dedicated ATI gfx), I havent had any issues with Vista at all with the exception of known bugs.

I really like Breadcrumb, it makes navigation alot faster. Integrated on-the-fly search in the Start Menu is also really nifty. Integrating Windows Defender will also really help customers who cant seem to stop infecting their PCs with garbage.

What would stop my upgrade? Both Best Buy and Amazon being out of stock. As for encouraging my upgrade price isnt really a factor, but then again I know up upgrading already so there's not much to encourage me.

Application compatibility. Right now some thing work good, others work sorta-good and others arent usable. Another weakness is the UI, while I personally love it, I know alot of old PC users will be lost at first. But then again they were all lost in the upgrade from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95

Windows Vista because I'm on my PC about 18 hours a day. If I'm not sleeping I'm at the computer working in Windows and Vista is a huge step up beyond XP.

Security security security. Too many users today have problems with their PCs because they dont know what security even is. Look at all the attacks on Windows today and all the machines that are zombies, chances are alot of the machines that get whacked dont have any anti-virus, anti-spyware or firewall installed. Beefing up the firewall in Vista, including Windows Defender are great jobs on Microsoft's part. Now we just need to get the OEMs to start bundling an anti-virus that doesnt deactivate itself after 3-12 months, nobody ever renews their license when NAV pops up and demands it. They just wait until the PC breaks and they take it in and the tech asks them 'well dont you have an anti-virus' until they buy one.

• User profile image
    suryad

1. I was curious most of all. I wanted to see if Microsoft could actually deliver what it had promised. And despite all the disk thrashing Vista ran very well on my 3.4 ghz 1 gig ram 256 mb 9800 mobility with a 5400 rpm spare hdd. If I had used my faster hdd I am sure I would have gotten a bit more performance. But I realize this is beta.

2. I liked the UI. I liked the search functionality. I like the idea of user access control though it has been out for ages in other better OSes.

3. Hardware requirements. I wrote a blog on this suryawhateva.blogspot.com if you are interested in reading more about it.

4. Its competition, the final pricing of the product, the fact that it is a Microsoft product and hardware requirements are too steep.

5. Smartphone/PDA. I need it to organize myself. But Vista would be a very very close second because I like playing with new software and Vista is Direct3d10 capable and I like gaming as well and I cant wait to see what the next gen games will be like. Consoles I dont need because game experiences are exceedingly poor for my taste compared to a proper PC.

6. Security.

• User profile image
    Chadk

OMFG WTF VISTA R0X 2
    The new UI, Live previews, A desktop option in Alt-Tab
    EU making illegal to buy Vista in EU

I would say none, if i just knew how much DRM stuff that was implented
    A tablet pc or a media center with Vista, cos' vista rock.
    Security.
    You only have the fun you make yourself.

• User profile image
    Cryo

First reaction: Damn the Aurora effect is sweet!
    Second: Holy *, it had working drivers for everything! (An XP install usually fills the device manager with yellow questionmarks for me, including both network devices)

My initial impression with Vista was really good.

I love the searching in Vista. It feels far more powerful than the one in XP, and I'm happy to see the dog gone forever. The advanced filtering is great, and I love the start-menu based quick search.

I'm also happy to see limited user accounts actually working (mostly)without a hitch.

Apart from that, I like the new UI. It looks smooth, and generally feels more efficient and clean.

Only thing stopping me from buying Vista once it comes out is that I get it for free on academic license. [A]

Only "weaknesses" I've discovered so far is that some of my favourite XP apps are a pain to get working, if they decide to work at all. (mainly Daemon tools), doesn't seem to play well with all Direct3D apps, etc. But that's all temporary stuff that is almost guaranteed to be weeded out in time of the release candidates.

5. From the following, what would you rather purchase? Windows Vista, Smart Phone/PDA, Console, Mobile Phone. Please state why
    you chose what you did.

Easy: http://www.nintendo.com/revolution Big Smile

Edit: Forgot reason. I've always been a gamer, and my impression with it is that if they manage to pull off what they promise, it's going to redefine how the player interacts with games.

Security. Entertainment is important for me, but gotta satisfy my paranoia first. Wink

• User profile image
    leighsword

My initial reaction was that I couldnt beleive I am failed install Vista on my modern PC(C4 2.4G, 512M, 845G).

Vista is the next version of Windows that feature is most helpful/innovative, because I cannt help to upgrade Windows.

I wouldnt stop to upgrade to Windows Vista except Vista/MS gone.

There still no a Visual Studio for Vista, and I wonder how much deverlopers are ready for the new platform.

Not listed above.

Speed and ease of use.
    Vista is not everything but just an OS. If I want more security, then I would use Symantec software(Norton antivirus...), if I want more entertainment capabilities, then I may buy an XBOX.

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

I'm impressed, been using it for the past few weeks as my main os and it hasn't crashed once (where I wasn't at fault). Any crashes I've had are related to bad drivers or unsupported software (like the divx-codec for wmp11).

I've become addicted to the great search-features. Took a while to index all my data (250GBs worth), but once that was done everything is working great. It's OSX' spotlight but done right. And yes, I have run Tiger, used it as main os for about 8 months.

Pricing is an issue for me, right now it looks like I'll have to settle for home premium and if they ditch glass from that I'm not sure I'll get it until I OEM it for my next box.

UAC (formerly known as UAP). Right now it's too intrusive and pretty annoying.

Vista, comparing that to XP is like comparing 3.11 to 95. A pretty decent upgrade.

Both, but mostly security. Maybe not for me but for the people I have to help when they've hosed their sstems with spyware and random cr@p.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

My first reactions, besides "nice setup, albeit still too slow", have been dominated by things that aren't really MS' fault. Slow nVidia WDDM drivers, sound that hasn't worked right in any build, the various flaming hoops I have to jump through to get SecureW2 working so I get Internet access.

UAC is a big one for me. Many people find it annoying, but I run as a limited user in XP, and compared to that eXPerience, UAC is heaven. LUAFileVirtualization is very welcome to deal with all those apps that don't play well in a limited account. I like the treeview in Start Menu which replaces the cascading menus, and the search box is moderately useful.

One thing that has surprised me lately is the DWM. It's not just transparent window borders and animations, windows really are more responsive and the nasty striping and other artifacts of a window that doesn't respond to WM_PAINT anymore are gone.

I won't buy it if we get it as a freebee at the the end of the beta. Tongue Out

Explorer. The lack of list view and the disappearing navigation pane make it very painful to use, and the lack of a facility to globally apply changes to a folder view is also annoying. MS has promised to fix all of these though. We'll see.

Vista. I already have a PDA and a mobile phone, and I don't need/want a console.

Both are important, so a balance must be struck.

• User profile image
    Triel

1. While using Windows Vista, what were your initial reactions?

I actually liked it right off the start. I started late, unlike others in this post, due to me being out of state for business. I was gone for 3 months. I had the beta inventation setting on my computer but could not get a good download from the hotel I was in.

I started with the RC1 5600 build that is still available on-line. I then moved to the RC2 and now the RTM. I do not see much of a difference from RC1 5600 to RTM 6000. They still have major driver problems. Audio was super up untill I tried recording audio. I found my video's to be a little blurry and sound would not record.

It would have to be the performance and bitloker encryption.

Software and driver issues would stop me from buying it untill 8 - 10 months after release.

The one thing that really annoys me is the "User Account Control". It will be nice to have in the office to keep the moroons from touching settings and files that they should not be even remotely close to, but there should be a way for a admin to shut it off without the annoying security alert that never seems to get the hint.

That would have to be a PDA or Hand Held Computer. I like to be able to work when not in the office or at home and a Notbook is just not worth the energy to carry it.

Security

• User profile image
    cain

Initial reactions with Longhorn: this is very slow and buggy, I think I'll wait a few builds before I try again.
    Initial reactions with Vista: not much has changed since the previous build, and what a stupid name, Longhorn was better.

Hard to pick one, but at the moment I think I'll go with ReadyBoost.  My laptop only has 512MB of memory and plugging in my 1GB memory card does make quite an improvement.

I haven't seen any prices in Australian dollars yet, or any student prices, so price might stop me from upgrading for a little while.  Visual Studio compatability problems might also keep me from upgrading until the update is out.

From a usability point of view a lot of things have changed from XP to Vista and I think people like my parents who have spent 5 years learning how to use XP might find it too different.

I already have a phone and I've never been much of a Console gamer, so Vista is really the only choice in that list.

Security.  Entertainment capabilities are important to me too, but dealing with security problems will take the fun out of anything.

• User profile image
    The J

1. Like pretty much everyone else, I first noticed the new GUI.  I like it for the most part.

2. The installer was nice.  Give it a couple options, agree to the EULA, and walk away.  
       I noticed an improvement in audio quality with my Audigy 2 ZS (set Vista to resample to 48KHz) which I greatly enjoyed.  
       Also, it's great being able to tell Windows Update to not bug me for 4 hours rather than it telling me to restart every few minutes in XP.

3. Since I'm a college student, price is the biggest factor.  Also, my experiences with Beta 2 and RC1 x64 indicate that drivers (nVidia and Creative mainly) are not ready.  I want to read about Vista before running out to buy it.  Since XP is very stable for me and seems to be secure enough, I probably won't buy Vista unless there's a marked performance increase with application and games.  Of course, since I game I'll have to get it for DirectX10 eventually.  XP is still going strong for me.

4. Driver support is its current weakness.  
       Also, UAC has prevented me from doing things the way I like to do them.  This isn't because I think the prompts are bad or anything, but because I can't elevate things when I want.  For example, when I download programs in XP, I put them right into the "Program Files" directory (becuase that's where programs go).  Now let's look at Vista:  I click to download a file and tell it to put it in Program Files.  But I can't because I don't have permission!  Rather than just completely locking me out, I'd like to to instead ask me, with UAC, if IE/Opera/whatever can put the file in Program Files.  
       I could also do without Vista automatically installing drivers for me whenever it finds something new.  Believe it or not, there are times when I DON'T want drivers installed for a device.  Ask me before loading drivers!  This was made worse when Vista installed the wrong drivers for my PCI WLAN card, crashing the system.

5. I'd definately go with a console.  My desktop serves my computing needs fine right now and Windows XP does so as well.  I like to play games and currently own no console systems.  I don't think I'd ever use a PDA or anything like that.

6. Most people need all the security they can handle.  Me, I want performance.  Like I said, I probably won't buy Vista unless it is faster than XP.  It can have all the RAM it wants as long as Vista and applications can run faster.

• User profile image
    Mohamed Omar

Hi

I want to get all Windows Vista Green Demos

e.g. Easier than ever and all of these videos

Can any one tell me where I can get all of these videos

Many Many thanks

• User profile image
    Bas

I guess this survey has long since been processed and published...

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

I have used the beta versions of Vista, but to be fair I will only comment on the RTM version.  I use Ultimate.

I didn't have to install any drivers.  On my desktop computer everything just worked.  On another computer there were some missing drivers, but upon my first logon Windows Update automatically got the right drivers for my sound card and HDTV tuner card.
    Photo Gallery. I have a large digital scrap book (of pictures and some video) and now that I have tagged all of the pictures in a logical way, I can bring up any picture that I can think of very quickly.
    3. What factors would stop you or encourage you to buy/upgrade to Windows Vista? (e.g. price, etc.)
    Mostly price  Also, I have heard a lot of incompatibility horror stories, but I have found that they are mostly FUD and wrong.
    Incompatibility, though it really isn't a big problem.  For example: ATI hasn't made the driver that will let me user my ATI All-in-Wonder's TV tuner in Media Center yet.  However, large-scale adoption of Vista would fix that, because all of these companies not signing executables and not making drivers would have to get on the bandwagon, so to speak.
    Vista.  Vista goes on the PC, which is the most powerful of the choices.
    Neither.  They should both be developed in tandem.

• User profile image
    Jack Poison

Cool UI.. I like the Taskbar.

I like the cleaner look and the previews on the icons.

price... More components to add.. Hard to find Audio Drivers for my card.

MEDIA CENTER... I have a 360 Extender and it ALWAYS says I can't show video because of Firewall issues. and IT ISN"T A FIREWALL: it's a POOR SIGNAL! EVEN THE NETWORK ANALYZER TOOL TELLS ME THAT! And it sporadically works... So, if we watch something, we don't dare cut it off, because we might not be able to watch video for a long time again. Best part about it: the extender and the computer are on the same floor of the house, about 30 feet from each other.

DRIVER SUPPORT - Despite having up to date drivers, my one monitor continues to black out for no apparent reason, sometimes 5 or 6 times a minute for 2 seconds a pop. Dude, WTF...

I'd like an Ultramoble PC...But if that's not an option, I'll take a new Cell phone. My current phone is a bit dated, and I"m eyeing the BlackJack

Entertainment capabilities.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

This thread is a little under a year old...  it was bumped by someone asking an irrelevant question.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.