Coffeehouse Thread

140 posts

XPSP2 -- Anyone having troubles?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    scobleizer

Well, I opened my mouth over on my blog at http://radio.weblogs.com/0001011/2004/08/19.html#a8108 and some people are saying they are having troubles with Windows XPSP2. I wanna give them a place to report those troubles so that we can work on figuring them out. This is a good place and I'll send the feedback to the team.

• User profile image
    Simo

Perfect timing, just finished wrestling with SP2.

I hit a  gotcha, rather than an issue. Looks like pre-SP2 when you share a directory the default access permissions are pretty much anyonecan do anything they like (a very hippy attitude).

Creating a share under the new SP2 regime, the default permission set is zero. I guess admins & owners have permissions to change access and errr..... that's it.

I did lose 20mins of my life figuring out the problem. But as far as I'm concerned, up the revolution.

• User profile image
    imekon

scobleizer wrote:
    Well, I opened my mouth over on my blog at http://radio.weblogs.com/0001011/2004/08/19.html#a8108 and some people are saying they are having troubles with Windows XPSP2. I wanna give them a place to report those troubles so that we can work on figuring them out. This is a good place and I'll send the feedback to the team.

XP SP2: not recommended. I'm saying this to all my friends and family. Purely because I'm hearing reports of problems out there, and you guys have already released a patch to SP2.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

imekon: that's horrible advice. I wonder if all your friends and family come and ask you to clean off their spyware and viruses too (mine sure do, and everyone I've put XPSP2 on has stopped asking me why weird things keep happening).

XPSP2 fixes hundreds of problems and makes your system run better and far more securely too.

• User profile image
    Cider

imekon wrote:

XP SP2: not recommended. I'm saying this to all my friends and family. Purely because I'm hearing reports of problems out there, and you guys have already released a patch to SP2.

You are basing your recommendations on reports in The Inquirer and The Register?  Nice going.  Do you also vote the way The Sun tells you to?  They're all tabloid rags...

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Here's a list of all the fixes that you'll get with Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;811113

In fact, these are all fixes. So, if you don't have XPSP2 you have far more potential problems than if you upgraded.

Not to mention you won't have the increased security. The vastly improved wireless functionality. Or, if you have a Tablet PC, the vastly improved inking and recognition functionality.

• User profile image
    imekon

scobleizer wrote:
    imekon: that's horrible advice. I wonder if all your friends and family come and ask you to clean off their spyware and viruses too (mine sure do, and everyone I've put XPSP2 on has stopped asking me why weird things keep happening).

XPSP2 fixes hundreds of problems and makes your system run better and far more securely too.

This isn't the first time you've told me this is "bad advice".

I tell my friends not to run IE or OE, that will stop 99% of virus etc. dead. I also tell them to run a virus checker. It's not my fault if they don't listen to me and use IE and OE anyway, and still get virii.

In any case, what I have now is working perfectly well for me. Why should I upgrade to an unknown such as SP2. Just because you (Microsoft) say so!

• User profile image
    imekon

Cider wrote:
    imekon wrote:

You are basing your recommendations on reports in The Inquirer and The Register?  Nice going.  Do you also vote the way The Sun tells you to?  They're all tabloid rags...

Nope. Never heard of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", and "prudence dictates never be an early adopter". As I said, I'm waiting to see what happens.

• User profile image
    imekon

scobleizer wrote:
    Here's a list of all the fixes that you'll get with Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;811113

In fact, these are all fixes. So, if you don't have XPSP2 you have far more potential problems than if you upgraded.

Not to mention you won't have the increased security. The vastly improved wireless functionality. Or, if you have a Tablet PC, the vastly improved inking and recognition functionality.

I don't have any problems now, Robert. I've never been attacked by a virus, simply because I don't run the two well known holes that attract them.

I do have a firewall running now that is better than the one supplied with SP2. In fact, I have two. Please explain how SP2 is "increased security"?

• User profile image
    scobleizer

>I tell my friends not to run IE or OE, that will stop 99% of virus etc. dead.

The latest viruses/attacks come through ports and not through email or Web. So, your advice is horrid. If you are running without a firewall you'll get hit.

Why should you upgrade? Look at the list of bugs we fixed. If you want to stay with what you got, I'm not going to stop you.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

>As I said, I'm waiting to see what happens.

No problem with that. But when you tell other people to wait when they are potentially running unpatched machines without firewalls and without virus detectors, well, that simply is horrid advice.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Great, I'm glad you're running a firewall and you're avoiding troubles by running software that the criminals aren't targetting.

But, you're running software with hundreds of bugs that now have been fixed -- for free. You're running software that has less security (because if something nasty DID get through your firewalls and your "security by running non-targeted software" your system was compiled using old technology that allows more buffer overruns to happen).

Plus, you're missing out on the new wireless features which are much nicer than what you have. And, if you have a Tablet PC you're missing out on the dramatically improved inking/recognition technology.

Among other things.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

>I do have a firewall running now that is better than the one supplied with SP2.

I assume you're using Zone Alarm.

Did you know that if you already have such a firewall that when you install XPSP2 it won't turn on the Windows firewall and will leave Zone Alarm in place?

So, if you already have a better firewall, you'll still have it after loading XPSP2, plus you'll have all the other security protections as well.

• User profile image
    Frandsen

I dropped this in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general shortly after the release:

---
    If I understand Q818332 correctly, a problem with ejecting computers should
    be fixed in SP2. I've just installed SP2 and the problem persists.

The serenum.sys file on my machine is version 5.1.2600.2180, and the problem
    should be fixed as early as 5.1.2600.1222.

Is it time for MS to take another look at this problem?
    ---

It hasn't been answered by a microsoftie, but then there's a lot of traffic over there.

• User profile image
    eagle

Robert, how can you argue with the British Tech Tabloids?

Remember, they now use channel9 as a source for their juicy stories.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Eagle: good point!

• User profile image
    AndyC

I've been testing SP2 since RC1 and have to say that the final release seems pretty solid to me.

Even some of the apps on the list (Virusscan 7 for example) work fine so I suspect the number of applications that actually break in a severe way is much less than some scaremongers would have us believe.

FWIW I definately recommend it to everyone and will be rolling it out here as soon as the guy responsible for our teaching labs has given the okay on the firewall settings.

Home users should definately be installing it.

• User profile image
    mc717990

I've had pretty good luck with it thus far - an easy test was to go to weather.com and see if I got a popup - nope Smiley Course, this'll probably drive weather.com nuts.

Anyways, one issue I hit was with a program called track-it not being able to register a DLL file. It's looking for tibiz60.dll. This file exists in the \bin directory.

Is there any reason this app would run perfectly fine before upgrading to SP2 but now fail to start because it can't register that DLL?

This dll and app is located on a network drive if this makes any difference. The exact error message is: Unable to start Track-It! 6.0. Failed to register required dll: tibiz60.dll

Thanks!
    Jason

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.