Coffeehouse Thread

140 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

XPSP2 -- Anyone having troubles?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    sriram_2001

Did that - it asks me for every other program whether I want to unblock - except for FTP though. No FTP connections are getting through Sad

• User profile image
    RedWolves2

I know this isn't a suggestion thread but I think it is most relevant.  Might I suggest an ignore person or ignore thread functionality for Channel 9.  I could put it to use instanly. Wink

• User profile image
    phunky_avoc​ado

I also have yet to install SP2.  I also have never, repeat never, had any sort of infection or breech on my XP Pro PC.  But then I have a good 3rd party firewall and virus scanner that is always up-to-date.  But I DO run "the two well known holes that attract them".

imekon wrote:
    scobleizer wrote: Here's a list of all the fixes that you'll get with Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;811113

In fact, these are all fixes. So, if you don't have XPSP2 you have far more potential problems than if you upgraded.

Not to mention you won't have the increased security. The vastly improved wireless functionality. Or, if you have a Tablet PC, the vastly improved inking and recognition functionality.

I don't have any problems now, Robert. I've never been attacked by a virus, simply because I don't run the two well known holes that attract them.

I do have a firewall running now that is better than the one supplied with SP2. In fact, I have two. Please explain how SP2 is "increased security"?

• User profile image
    forgey

nmap, XPSP2 breaks nmap.

I understand the mechanics of why it's broken, but I've also seen some reports that people have been told that nmap was broken purposefully because it is considered a malicious tool.

forgey

• User profile image
    jamie

I have loaded sp2 on 6 machines
    no install problems - all that works fine

I do have "items" however..

Here are the things im finding - that no one else seems to mention ... so maybe its unique to my box

1.  Going to any network drive that has alot of folders causes harddrive freak out ( brrr - clicka clicka ,,) before it displays all the folders.  RC1 didnt do this.  It came with RC2 - although RC2 speeded up all local machine stuff

2. Most of my Frontpage logins are now broke ( could sp2 have caused this?) "A web server was not found on bla bla port URL etc"   They all used to work pre-SP2

3. Having some weird stuff on certain https domains - mainly Rogers communications - Sign up wouldnt work ( them or sp2 i dunno)

4. Overall Weirdness:  Although sp2 did in fact speed up my machine - im having programs not closing properly - most noteably Corel 12 and photoshop 3 some others.  These all worked fine pre-sp2.  There also seem to be issues with multiple monitors and some apps - where in the toolbars / palettes open directly where the 3 monitors meet - half on one side of window - the other half on other side.  So you grab them move where you want - close and re-open app - but they go back inbetween the monitors

5. After launching a game ( doom3 or quake3) certain programs - Outlook 2003 mainly - are moved off screen. Maximize doesnt work. I have to hit restore - then move the window where i want - close and open app - then its fine - till i run a game again

• User profile image
    scobleizer

forgey: yeah, security expert Dana Epp has been covering that one on his blog: http://silverstr.ufies.org/blog/

• User profile image
    Karim

LOL Um thanks for the heads up, guys, I had no idea it was broken, though now that you mention it, my SYN scans were all coming up as "all ports filtered" lately... <sheepish grin>  TCP connect scans seemed to work ok, though.

New version up at: http://www.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-3.55-SP2-win32.zip

TCP SYN scans working again.  And it seems about a billion times faster than my old 3.30 version, for some reason.

I guess when Trinity used nmap in Matrix Reloaded that she wasn't hacking from a Win XP SP2 machine... or there wouldn't have been a third movie.  LOL

• User profile image
    kaworu

I don't know if here is the right place to ask about this, but I'd like to know if it's true that the new windows firewall can only prevent apps from getting data from the internet while allowing them to transmit data as they please, so that if a trojan gets executed it can send personal infos without the firewall doing anything.
    Although I'm connected through a router, an additional security layer is always welcome.

Besides, I am going to install SP2 as soon as the italian version is available: I consider it a major upgrade and I'm already suggesting everyone to do the same as soon as possible.

• User profile image
    lars

kaworu wrote:
    I don't know if here is the right place to ask about this, but I'd like to know if it's true that the new windows firewall can only prevent apps from getting data from the internet while allowing them to transmit data as they please, so that if a trojan gets executed it can send personal infos without the firewall doing anything.

I'm not sure. But from what I've read so far it looks like the application control is only activated when recieving data. In that case an application should be able to atleast fire off UDP packets without being blocked.
    I think the built in firewall's main purpose is to protect the user from inbound traffic. And that's a big step for a lot of home users.

That is not enough for me tho - I want to be able to control what leaves my box aswell. But I don't think it's a big deal, just as long as I know if I should install a 3rd party firewall or not.

• User profile image
    AndyC

lars wrote:

I'm not sure. But from what I've read so far it looks like the application control is only activated when recieving data. In that case an application should be able to atleast fire off UDP packets without being blocked.
    I think the built in firewall's main purpose is to protect the user from inbound traffic. And that's a big step for a lot of home users.

Any application can initiate a connection to another machine and send/receive data. This is "solicited" traffic. XP SP2 does nothing to this.

Any application which opens a listening port and waits for other machines to connect to it (unsolicited traffic) will pop up a prompt. XP SP2 will then either block/allow this traffic dependent on your choice.

FWIW outbound blocking is something of a marketing scam introduced by personal firewall vendors to bump up their feature list. It's very easy to write code which defeats outbound blocking on almost any machine.

• User profile image
    cjharmon

I posted earlier to this thread and just wanted to post back again saying it now is working. I saw in the MSDN Tech Flash a link about the DebuggerFirewallConfiguration.EXE tool (see page at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;841177).

Before I used this tool, I had opened up DCOM as much as I could read anywhere and had turned off the firewall service, but I still couldn't remotely debug. After using the tool, it worked fine.

If you're stuck like I was, use that tool!

• User profile image
    DouglasH

Interesting reading.

Although I mekon has a few things wrong. 

1.) I have been running windows since the 3.1 days (and earlier if you count playing with 1.0 and 2.0 as running windows)

In all those years I have never gotten a virii, and only a few spyware but more from downloading shareware that loaded it then from drive bys. 

I have only been hit once with a drive by. and this is using IE OE and the like.

I never used Virus scanners or the like until recently and only added firewalls up when I went connected to the inet 24/7.

So what does this say. is FireFox more secure or is responsible browsing a better view. 

The one thing I wish MS would have done is brought the new admin system forward from LH to XP so we have a chance to start requireing the ISV's to run in LUA mode. and fixed LUA so that you don't have to switch to admin to update the clock. 

I agree with Tim Anderson that SP2 is a step forward. but it didn't go far enough, programs that run in Admin level access now need to break so that they are forced to be update if they don't need admin rights to run. Waiting another 2 years to fix this is just going to make it worse.

douglas

• User profile image
    iStation

Say, who's got trouble?

• User profile image
    Steve411

scobleizer wrote:
    imekon: that's horrible advice. I wonder if all your friends and family come and ask you to clean off their spyware and viruses too (mine sure do, and everyone I've put XPSP2 on has stopped asking me why weird things keep happening).

XPSP2 fixes hundreds of problems and makes your system run better and far more securely too.

I could not agree more. After i install sp2 my system has run more smoother then it was back with sp1. Cry babies diss on it because it's gonna get them somewhere (sure it is).

• User profile image
    ghos

Although I found on my machine the install took about as long as a clean install of XP (download of SP2 only 78 mb), it went off without a hitch.
    I have only had it installed right now for a 1/2 hour, but I find webpages are loading faster than before - and I use Firefox.  So must be some nice additions that help besides the security fixes.
    So far I'm very happy with it, no broken programs.

• User profile image
    anza00

I have had no problems with my home built computer. I downloaded using a dial up, it took me six hours to download it on my XP Pro computer and it was worth it. So far my computer runs great. I would advise to turn off antivirus or anything that's running in the background that could interfere when you're installing the the update.

• User profile image
    Sabot

Installed SP2 on my PC last week after getting me brand new PC ( AMD64 ) ... (Big Cheesie Grin! Wink

The only problem I had was Zone Alarm when I tried to un-install it after installing SP2. Zone Alarm basically basically inner workings keep reseting my machine because of some doggy hacking protection system ... I don't know how I triggered that feature? I was just trying to un-install it!

Anyway, I had to uninstall Zone Alarms manually, after zone alarms learnt a new trick which was to cut off my internet connectivity after approx 1 min of the machines boot. So you can imagine after searching the support pages and not taking Zone Alarms advice (they recommend you use their fire-wall and not the one in SP2 by the way!) I deleted the drivers and removed the registry entries manual (yes I backed up first ... you have to be mad not to) and it all seems fine right now.

Funny thing is now that my machine does boot a whole lot quicker on bootup without Zone Alarms now, must be that 'true-vector' service and the eternity it took to load.

I do have to say, I'm a fellow Brit and I'm sick of our press and that includes the tech press ... I would like to say that most Brits aren't so negative all the time!

Oi ... geezers from the Register ... stop the slaggin' off !

• User profile image
    jdm

jdm wrote:
    HELP WOULD BE  WELCOMED

i downloaded and saved the current 266mb sp2 file from the microsoft page and installed sp2 on my e Machine T2542 without any incident. i burned the file to a cd to carry to a friend who has dial up and we installed it on his Sony Vaio, again apparently without incident. his CA firewall, unlike my ZoneAlarm, was not recognized by the Security Center(there may be a CA patch by now), so we turned off the XP firewall manually and signified we would monitor the firewall ourselves.both installations were done offline with virus and firewall and all other discoverable background programs turned off.

when he restarted his pc his Canon F50 MultiPass all in one printer would not complete loading. its prompts led us to the Admin Tools 'Services' where we found the MultiPass service off. we changed it to automatic and  the printer completed loading. about 15 minutes later it unloaded itself and we found the service off again in the Tools 'Service' list. this happened again and every time he rebooted.

uninstalling sp2 restored the MultiPass loading.a simple search found several Canon MultiPass users have posted urgent distress calls on blogs already--i expect to see a deluge when sp2 automatic updates kick in.

Canon free e mail support suggested uninstalling and reinstalling the MultiPass. I don't know when my friend will be willing to reinstall SP2 to try the fix out (he is understandably averse for now), but several posted distress calls from other Canon consumers have reported poor results after reinstalling the printer (except one guy who said he also edited his registry to expunge all mention of Canon before reinstalling it).

Canon may well need help or encouragement to create a real fix for this SP2 problem. Many people with out of warranty Canon printers that are perfectly serviceable and have functioned well with Win XP SP1 will be faced with my friends' Hobson's choice: give up your printer or forego the sp2 security improvements.

FOLLOW UP INFORMATION:

Canon has posted patches on its web site for some of its MultiFunction printers, but as of 9/1 still can't fix the F50.The Canon tech support guy I spoke with today told me each model or cluster of models presented a different problem caused by SP2 for them to fix.

Since whatever is the SP2 change that is disabling the F50 software(or how to correct it) is still puzzling them after a month of effort, I think Microsoft should reach out and offer them some help. Since Microsoft wants SP2 installed on XP computers expeditiously it would benefit by helping to open an identifiable bottleneck that is stubbornly persisting.

I would appreciate any assistance in directing this information to the appropriate person at Microsoft. Thanks for having this thread .

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.