Coffeehouse Thread

140 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

XPSP2 -- Anyone having troubles?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jonathanh

Manip wrote:
    I think your find that telephone support can solve a great deal of problems you might encounter with SP2. This is done by simulating the problem or by using recorded problems | knowledge bases. Or maybe the person on the other end might know more than you.. especially true with a lot of second level support staff.
    I believe PSS phone support goes all the way up to level four Smiley (That's when product groups get involved)

It would be pretty cool to see some Channel 9 videos of the support process. Maybe we could bug the Channel 9 crew about it? I doubt they could film an actual call, because of all the privacy issues involved, but they could interview someone from each level of support and get them to explain their jobs, their tools, etc. It's a whole side of Microsoft that rarely gets seen, and VERY rarely gets credit.

• User profile image
    DEEETER

I fianly did the SP2 upgrade, It was sitting in my download folder for about a week or two.

Boy do I wish I had done it sooner. No problems what so ever.

I have XP pro 3 optical drives multi HD's etc on the harware side and all kinds of DEv and other app's. 

So one down 4 more to go . But this was the one I was worried about.

So way to go MSFT.. Knock on wood...

• User profile image
    Larry

Am getting access denied error with the downloaded xpsp2, also. Does anyone know why?

• User profile image
    tinfoilcap™

No problems here at all with SP2. I've installed it on three friends computers and it's behaving great!

Two of them were running freeware (old Agnitum Version 1) firewall software and that software just wasn't very reliable - now that they have the new XP SP2 firewall they're all very happy. The popup blocking in IE rocks too. Just wish IE had a tabbed UI and a download manager - but hey there is time for SP3? Wink

• User profile image
    Keskos

imekon wrote:
    scobleizer wrote:Here's a list of all the fixes that you'll get with Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;811113

In fact, these are all fixes. So, if you don't have XPSP2 you have far more potential problems than if you upgraded.

Not to mention you won't have the increased security. The vastly improved wireless functionality. Or, if you have a Tablet PC, the vastly improved inking and recognition functionality.

I don't have any problems now, Robert. I've never been attacked by a virus, simply because I don't run the two well known holes that attract them.

I do have a firewall running now that is better than the one supplied with SP2. In fact, I have two. Please explain how SP2 is "increased security"?

I haven't got any virus at all, but I will strongly recommend SP2 to my family and friends. If you haven't read what SP2 is all about, how do you dare to recommend your friends not to use it.

• User profile image
    Larry

does anyone know what access denied means when halfway through installing xpsp2?

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Larry wrote:
    does anyone know what access denied means when halfway through installing xpsp2?
    First possibility: it's access denied on your hard disk, and your PC has something write-protected or modified something that it shouldn't have. For example, there's apparently a known issue that if you have modified boot.ini, SP2 can fail to install. This can happen in dual-boot situations, freeware apps that modify your boot screen, etc.

Second possibility: it's access denied on your CDROM, and you've got a bad CD Sad

• User profile image
    Jaz

jonathanh wrote:

I believe PSS phone support goes all the way up to level four Smiley (That's when product groups get involved)

It would be pretty cool to see some Channel 9 videos of the support process. Maybe we could bug the Channel 9 crew about it? I doubt they could film an actual call, because of all the privacy issues involved, but they could interview someone from each level of support and get them to explain their jobs, their tools, etc. It's a whole side of Microsoft that rarely gets seen, and VERY rarely gets credit.

I'm sure that one of the C9 guys could give a mock call to each level of support using situations that have previously been documented or something?  thus avoiding privacy issues.

• User profile image
    Gambit

Ok, after running SP2 for a while on my desktop I've noticed one nagging issue. After my computer reboots and I log into the system it takes between 2-5 minutes for my internet access to work. Why, because it takes that long to start up my firewall. It's probably the Vector monitor app ZA starts up, but it's an annoying wait to have to sit through

• User profile image
    MrCalifornia

I have an FTP site running off of my home computer (IIS) which is
    running XP Pro. It worked fine until I upgraded to SP2. Now when I try
    and connect my FTP client logs in and then when it tries to list the
    directory contents I immediatly get this error:

An established connection was aborted by the software in your host
    machine.

I've turned off Windows Firewall (I previously had port 21 TCP open)
    and still nothing. Obviously I'm connecting to the server no problem,
    but for some reason it just closes the connection as soon as I try and
    list a directory. I've tried both PASSIVE and ACTIVE modes on a number
    of FTP clients, but nothing.

Anyone have any ideas?

more info: the computer with the ftp server on it is connected through
    a router which has port 21 forwarded to it. There is no problem
    connecting to the ftp server on a local client using 127.0.0.1 as the
    IP address.

• User profile image
    jdm

HELP WOULD BE  WELCOMED

i downloaded and saved the current 266mb sp2 file from the microsoft page and installed sp2 on my e Machine T2542 without any incident. i burned the file to a cd to carry to a friend who has dial up and we installed it on his Sony Vaio, again apparently without incident. his CA firewall, unlike my ZoneAlarm, was not recognized by the Security Center(there may be a CA patch by now), so we turned off the XP firewall manually and signified we would monitor the firewall ourselves.both installations were done offline with virus and firewall and all other discoverable background programs turned off.

when he restarted his pc his Canon F50 MultiPass all in one printer would not complete loading. its prompts led us to the Admin Tools 'Services' where we found the MultiPass service off. we changed it to automatic and  the printer completed loading. about 15 minutes later it unloaded itself and we found the service off again in the Tools 'Service' list. this happened again and every time he rebooted.

uninstalling sp2 restored the MultiPass loading.a simple search found several Canon MultiPass users have posted urgent distress calls on blogs already--i expect to see a deluge when sp2 automatic updates kick in.

Canon free e mail support suggested uninstalling and reinstalling the MultiPass. I don't know when my friend will be willing to reinstall SP2 to try the fix out (he is understandably averse for now), but several posted distress calls from other Canon consumers have reported poor results after reinstalling the printer (except one guy who said he also edited his registry to expunge all mention of Canon before reinstalling it).

Canon may well need help or encouragement to create a real fix for this SP2 problem. Many people with out of warranty Canon printers that are perfectly serviceable and have functioned well with Win XP SP1 will be faced with my friends' Hobson's choice: give up your printer or forego the sp2 security improvements.

• User profile image
    moonshine

Hello all:

I just upgraded for SP2 this afternoon, and my laptop does not boot completely...at one point, it says that it can not find winserv, and that a reinstallation can solve the problem.

Can somebody give me a clue how to solve this?

Thanks

Paulo
    Portugal

• User profile image
    Virtual​Serendipity

I just finished installing Windows SP 2 (the 266MB RTM pack) on four computers running XP Home.  Fortunately, no major explosions occured immediately. Smiley

FWIW, these are a varied set of machines, everything from a dilapidated Celeron 466 system that is so old, I have to run XP in "APM legacy" mode to get it to install in the first place, to a Pentium III class system, and finally to two moderm Pentium 4 HT class machines.

I took some precautions before installing (force a chkdsk, defrag, backup the system partitions, run disk cleanup, remove all restore points and add a new restore point) on each machine.

Unfortunately, I own a UMAX 2200 scanner, so I learned that there is a problem with a umax driver (much to my dismay, the MSKB article never stated which driver for which model of UMAX scanner was the source of the problem). Anyway, I uninstalled the manufacturer driver. Before I upgraded to XP SP 2, I made sure the generic windows driver worked OK with the scanner. The MSKB never said that this would also work after SP 2 was installed. If I get brave, I will try it.

Overall, each system seemed to perform the same, if not a slight bit faster after SP 2 was installed and followed by a defrag.

I ended up disabling the Security Center and Firewall services because all of these computers are behind a hardware firewall and I use antivirus software already.

So far, I have seen one application issue: I use 3M's Post-it Professional 3.0 software on two of these computers, and my wife and I use the "Send notes across the LAN" feature a lot. This doesn't work after XP SP 2 was installed. I think Post-It Notes Professional uses DCOM to send the notes across the LAN, and from what I understand, the changes to DCOM broke many apps, so I think Post-It Pro needs to be added to the list of affected apps. I sent an email to the vendor's support alias to see if they are aware of the problem. I imagine I could try to use DCOMCNFG to fudge the settings for this app, but I have no idea what to change.

Update: I just got some feedback from 3M on how to fix DCOM for Post-It Notes Pro in order to send notes across the LAN. Here is the gist of the support response:

Service Pack 2 for Windows XP has included security settings that have shut
    down the ports that Post-it Software Notes uses to send notes. Here is a
    link to an executable file that will open only those ports needed to send
    notes:

http://pmb001.3m.com/sp2/PSNXP2Fix.exe

If you would prefer to do this manually here is a link to step by step
    instructions for permitting the send notes feature:

http://pmb001.3m.com/sp2/PSNandSP2.pdf

Update 2...
    I didn't notice it right away, but it appears that if the Windows firewall is disabled, the Computer Browser service will die after a while. It appears that MS finally acknowledges this problem in KB article 889320:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;889320

• User profile image
    Virtual​Serendipity

After using these PCs for a while, I have identified some other problems.

I am unable to browse the network neighborhood for my LAN work group. This worked fine before installing service pack 2. I can still connect to shares between the computers by using UNC paths. FWIW, I have always had lmhosts files set up on each machines with name to IP mappings predefined for my work group.

I noticed this in the event logs on a few of the PCs:

The Computer Browser service terminated with the following error:

This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

I'm also seeing this kind of warning. I don't know if it is related:

The redirector failed to determine the connection type.

Also, I have noticed that when go to certain web sites in IE, and use the CTRL-F command to search for text, when I click the find button, I get an error from IE. Unfortunately, I didn't save the exact error message and the problem seems to have gone away. The message was something like "Unspecified error ##" but I can't remember the number.

Update:

I didn't notice it right away, but it appears that if the Windows firewall is disabled, the Computer Browser service will die after a while. It appears that MS finally acknowledges this problem in KB article 889320:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;889320

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.