Coffeehouse Thread

20 posts

Why not AMD mac machine?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

I'm not a Mac fan, but i was thinking why did they choose Intel and no AMD?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

"Consumers" are more familar with Intel than AMD, but I doubt that was the main reason; I suspect because EFI is an Intel technology.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

only because of EFI? AMD is a great company, i think that there is another reason.

• User profile image
    koorb

Could be because of Viiv.

• User profile image
    Detroit Muscle

Because Intel quoted them a lower price on microprocessors.

• User profile image
    Ang3lFir3

koorb wrote:
    Could be because of Viiv.

Viiv is nothing mroe than renaming the Pentium 4 to something a little less intelish (viiv is roman numerals for 64)

There may be many reasons why no Macs on AMD procs.... and some of them may even fall into "conspiracy" space......

Amd for the most part has always gotten more attention from those who know hardware..... and those not confused by the "ghz lie"......

ask any off the street joe which is faster a 2.0ghz A64 3000+ or a 3.0ghz Pentium4 and they will give you the wrong answer.... (the amd is faster still)

This is why amd changed its naming scheme for processors to hopefully gain more proper acceptance by average joes who don't understand that among other things AMD's increase in processed instructions per clock being higher than Intel is why they don't need to put the clock boundaries.....

• User profile image
    SimonJ

VI is 6 in Roman Numerals
    IV is 4 in Roman Numerals
    BUT
    64 would be LXIV (50 plus 10 plus 4)

As far as I know, there is nothing in the Intel viiv spec which uses 64 bit technology.

SimonJ

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

I was told by many that Apple chose Intel because of their high volume manufactoring capacity.

Regards,
    Vincent

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    I was told by many that Apple chose Intel because of their high volume manufactoring capacity.

Considering the amount of machines that Apple sells, I really don't think that was the problem.

Apple choose Intel because AMD does not have a low power chipset story in notebooks.

• User profile image
    Detroit Muscle

Ang3lFir3 wrote:
    (viiv is roman numerals for 64)

Um, no.

• User profile image
    suryad

Simple...Apple is very focused on their laptops because it is a rather large part of their sales. Intel has a better laptop platform than does AMD.

• User profile image
    msemack

Keep in mind that Apple could easily switch to AMD in the future.

Now that they're making the transition to x86, they have multiple CPU vendors to choose from.  All of them are binary-compatible.  They can use processors from Intel, AMD, Via, even STMicro.

They could even mix and match (e.g. Use a low-power Via chip in the Mac Mini, and use an AMD Opteron in the their high-end line).

Also, now that they've transitioned, they have more negotiating power.  They can play Intel, AMD, and Via off of each other to negotiate for better pricing.

Basic rule in business: Commoditize your complements.

It's why the PC industry is so successful.  It's why IBM endorses Linux.  It's why Apple offers a not-very-profitable online music store.

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/StrategyLetterV.html

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Detroit Muscle wrote:
    Ang3lFir3 wrote: (viiv is roman numerals for 64)

Um, no.

Since you are stuck in literal-land, then fine, you are correct.

If you spent half a second considering that they might, just maybe, be using a play on roman numerals, marketing, and 64-Bit architecture, then, um YES.

About the only people who understand how to write accurate roman numbers above 12 are geeks, freaks, and dead romans, so open your mind to the possibility that this is a marketing symbol.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

SimonJ wrote:
    VI is 6 in Roman Numerals
    IV is 4 in Roman Numerals
    BUT
    64 would be LXIV (50 plus 10 plus 4)

As far as I know, there is nothing in the Intel viiv spec which uses 64 bit technology.

SimonJ

According to wikipedia, 64-bit tech is in all but the core-duos.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

ScanIAm wrote:

About the only people who understand how to write accurate roman numbers above 12 are geeks, freaks, and dead romans, so open your mind to the possibility that this is a marketing symbol.

And... pretty much everybody in Italy. Smiley

• User profile image
    TimP

I don't see 64-bit processors being much use for laptops or for OS X. Even on 64-bit G5s, most of the operating system is 32-bit. Only a few applications (Mathematica) actually use the 64-bit features. Second of all, while 64-bit processors make sense on Power Macs (you can get up to 16GB RAM now), how many laptops actually suffer from the 4GB barrier? While it may be a concern in the near future, currently I don't see the need.

• User profile image
    Ang3lFir3

Detroit Muscle wrote:
    Ang3lFir3 wrote: (viiv is roman numerals for 64)

Um, no.

let me clarify Viiv could be called similar to the roman numerals for 6 AND 4 ...

jeez

And im not gunna touch the duo core comments.... as I simply don't give Intel the time of day I can't comment on their new tech (my remarks were more on the A64 vs P4 w/EM64T line...[which i thought i made clear])

I'm also not going to get into a huge AMD vs Intel debate (i've settled it before with superpi times if ne one thinks that's a decent comparator.. if not please explain as i would be curious and open)

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

Noone can ever really explain Apple.  I suspect it is all the acid Jobs did....

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.