Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

IE Address Bar Fails after insalling yesterday's patches

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    gswitz

No big deal. I just backed off the patches. I'm irritated that I am unable to find a way to report the problem to Microsoft. I went through windowsupdate.microsoft.com and tried to find a way just to send an email to Microsoft to let them know, but I was not able to. I tried to create a support ticket and they wanted to charge me. I don't care to pay them for my troubles. I just want to report a bug. After installing the 4 new patches, I could no longer pull up a website by typing the address into the address bar in IE. I could search for the address and click on the link to get to the site from my homepage. Weird. I removed all the patches and IE worked normally again. I reinstalled all the patches and the address bar didn't work any more. I removed all the patches and disabled automatic updates. IE 6.0 is the version and I'm using a HP w/ AMD processor and windows xp sp2 w/ sql server 2005 and vs 2003 isntalled.

Heads up.

• User profile image
    spoofnozzle

It must be a conditional issue... all my pcs and servers here at work are running either IE6 or IE7 and are all fully patched... and none have a problem.

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

I'm not seeing an issue on 2000 or XP (XP boxes running IE6 and IE7), everything appears to be normal.

• User profile image
    jgillette

Did you try installing one patch at a time, rebooting, and seeing which patch is actually causing the issue?

• User profile image
    pacelvi

MS does have a way to report these problems and I already have done so.. please add to the thread and help me let them know it's messed up.  They came back to me and said they couldn't repro.

https://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?SiteID=136&FeedbackID=61557

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

pacelvi wrote:
    MS does have a way to report these problems and I already have done so.. please add to the thread and help me let them know it's messed up.  They came back to me and said they couldn't repro.

https://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?SiteID=136&FeedbackID=61557

Note that you probably have to log-in to connect.microsoft.com with your Passport ID and add the IE7 Feedback Program from the Available Programs to your own beta programs to access this.

• User profile image
    Wells

I saw this guy on slashdot:

http://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=183054&cid=15126959

"The workaround was to rename the current version of VERCLSID.EXE and restore the file from the backup created by KB908531 (a System Restore would have sufficed as well). I expect a patch for the patch to be released by Microsoft Real Soon Now. I guess this one was rushed out the door without sufficient testing."

edit: oops, i see you've rolled back already.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.