Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Job Interview Friday

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • ElucidWeb

So I have a job interview with Microsoft on Friday, noticed a couple of people post news like this on here so I thought I would join in and say hi!  So yeah, bit nervous, find myself reading up on Best Practices and such so everything is nice and fresh on my mind...

Will update you if your curious on the outcome...

TTYL 9'ers!

• JohnAskew

When the lady in the white dress crosses her legs, just don't watch.

• Cybermagell​an

ElucidWeb wrote:

So I have a job interview with Microsoft on Friday, noticed a couple of people post news like this on here so I thought I would join in and say hi!  So yeah, bit nervous, find myself reading up on Best Practices and such so everything is nice and fresh on my mind...

Will update you if your curious on the outcome...

TTYL 9'ers!

Good luck!!!

Hopefully your next post will have a Microsoft Employee symbol beside it...

I would like to say...I'm glad that you didn't show up asking for suggestions, hints, tips, etc, on how to get the position.

• melsam [MS]

I like such posts. When I have a hard day at work, reading such posts makes me realize how fortunate I am to be an MS employee.

Good luck to you...do share your interview story.

• Charles

Good luck!

C

• die-Sel

i iwsh you all the best dude. good luck

• prog_dotnet

I wish you all the best of luck! Generally speaking; I am a bit skeptical about using critical time before the interview reading up at technical stuff.  First; how much information are you able to bring from short time memory to long term memory and remember it at a possible stressed and nervous point of time in the interview, and second; what is the chance of being asked about precisely that specific topic.
    I would rather suggest that you prepare yourself to keep the interview on target and focused on you. Answering questions clear, concise and try to set you mind into;  I’m great, I know I’m great, but I know I have more to learn” and “I want this job more than anything else in the world and if I don’t get a job offer, I’m just going to lay down and die” and show your enthusiasm, dedication, and ambition through your words and body language.

• harumscarum

Good Luck. Eat a good breakfast.

• ElucidWeb

Thanks for all the support guys, wasnt really looking for advice prog but thanks anyways!  I am usually on the otherside of the table, the one giving the interview so I think that built my experience up in how everything is handled and done.  Although its a bit different at MS since you have one day (they said about 5 hours) of interviews instead of one interview, then you wait for a call, and then another and then you wait for another call.  So this process seems more streamlined and to the point.

In case anyone is wondering this is an off campus offer, so its not with the product teams.  But yeah its true I have wanted to work for MS all my life, well actually since I was 14, I can still recall my first experiences with Windows 3.11 Workgroups and the magazines that came with the 5 page source code program you type out to play the old school pong in DOS! Big Smile

• billh

ElucidWeb wrote:
    Although its a bit different at MS since you have one day (they said about 5 hours) of interviews instead of one interview, then you wait for a call, and then another and then you wait for another call.  So this process seems more streamlined and to the point.
    Which brings up another point...for all the time they spend interviewing candidates, I'm wondering if such a lengthy interview process is worth the effort. How many companies spend a whole day interviewing one candidate? Just curious. What do they learn in 5-8 hours (plus numerous phone calls) that they can't learn in a couple of hours?

• ElucidWeb

So that was fun actually, took about 4 hours!  Went through 3 interviewers, used the whiteboard pretty extensively.  The interveiws went great!  I didnt know the answer to maybe 4 questions out of the entire day.

Wont know outcome until a week from now so we will see, sometimes they give answers on the spot but some managers were missing so I wont get an answer for a bit.  My hopes are at sea level at the moment, they are neither high nor low.  Its all a toss up really as I see it!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.