Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Channel 9 Videos on an iPod?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Macaruchi

I know it sounds like a sacrilege Tongue Out but wouldn't it be cool to have an iPod video format feed so we could subscribe to the shows on Channel 9 on iTunes and watch them on an iPod?.

Personally I use my iPod as my primary media device simply because of storage, I only have 2GB on my Dell Axim and that's not enough.  I'm also lazy and prefer to have iTunes download all my stuff Smiley

So, any onther lazy person like me think this is a good idea?
      I mean it could be possible, currently the on10.net show is available for iTunes, but lately I have been having problems playing those videos on the iPod (but that's another thread...).

So.. who's with me?

• User profile image
    die-Sel

Would be nice to have them for ipod but i only have the nano so i cant play videos, am waiting on the new ipod video to come berfore i upgrade again.

But if C9 vids were in an ipod format, then i will still take them, put linux on to my nano and watch away. A few podcasts would be cool also.

BillGates PodCast, coming striaght outta Redmond Wink

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the video iPod have a 4:3 screen... and the C9 videos are in 4:3 ratio anyway. So it's simply a matter of converting them from WMV to MPEG, something that can be easily accomplished.

Just watch out for the dodgy converter apps out there, I personally recommend the converter built-in to Quicktime Pro or Autodesk's Cleaner XL.

• User profile image
    Macaruchi

W3bbo wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the video iPod have a 4:3 screen... and the C9 videos are in 4:3 ratio anyway. So it's simply a matter of converting them from WMV to MPEG, something that can be easily accomplished.

Yeah... so it would be very easy for Channel 9 to convert these videos before posting them and adding the iPod format video link to a different feed...  Wink

So Channel 9.... are you listening? Smiley

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

First, it's okay to have an iPod! Tongue Out

Second, I don't have an iPod anymore (Zen Vision, baby!Cool), but I think since so many people have iPods it just makes sense.

A wma or mp3 RSS fead for the videos would be nice too, because for most of them you don't even need to see what's going on.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Macaruchi wrote:
    W3bbo wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the video iPod have a 4:3 screen... and the C9 videos are in 4:3 ratio anyway. So it's simply a matter of converting them from WMV to MPEG, something that can be easily accomplished.

Yeah... so it would be very easy for Channel 9 to convert these videos before posting them and adding the iPod format video link to a different feed... 

So Channel 9.... are you listening?

It's not that easy. First of all, now I'd need to do two formats, and upload them twice. Our uploading tool sucks. It takes quite a bit of time to upload videos. Plus, I just don't have the time to do extra stuff right now. They are working on it for us, though. On10.net is doing both formats and learning how to do it.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

Oh, question.  Is it possible to convert WMA to MOV?  If it is, then that annoys me, because there are a few MOV files that I want to put on my personal media player, but "OH NO! You can't convert mov files!!! Why would you ever want to do that!  It's the format that is infallable!" *chough* yeah... it sorta erks me, just a little. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Rossj

scobleizer wrote:
    It's not that easy. First of all, now I'd need to do two formats, and upload them twice.

You don't do that manually do you? You guys must have automated the process by now ...

• User profile image
    brichpmr

alwaysmc2 wrote:
    Oh, question.  Is it possible to convert WMA to MOV?  If it is, then that annoys me, because there are a few MOV files that I want to put on my personal media player, but "OH NO! You can't convert mov files!!! Why would you ever want to do that!  It's the format that is infallable!" *chough* yeah... it sorta erks me, just a little.

Well....I watch video and audio podcasts via iTune's podcast directory downloads every day, both in XP Pro and OSX systems...it can't be that difficult. Perhaps, someone at channel 9 should ping Leo LaPorte or another cross-platform savvy podcast producer to minimize the effort.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

brichpmr wrote:
    alwaysmc2 wrote: Oh, question.  Is it possible to convert WMA to MOV?  If it is, then that annoys me, because there are a few MOV files that I want to put on my personal media player, but "OH NO! You can't convert mov files!!! Why would you ever want to do that!  It's the format that is infallable!" *chough* yeah... it sorta erks me, just a little.

Well....I watch video and audio podcasts via iTune's podcast directory downloads every day, both in XP Pro and OSX systems...it can't be that difficult. Perhaps, someone at channel 9 should ping Leo LaPorte or another cross-platform savvy podcast producer to minimize the effort.

I'm talking about is it possible to convert WMA to MOV?

• User profile image
    Rossj

alwaysmc2 wrote:
    I'm talking about is it possible to convert WMA to MOV?

Yes it is.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

Rossj wrote:
    alwaysmc2 wrote: I'm talking about is it possible to convert WMA to MOV?

Yes it is.

Then is it possible to convert a MOV to WMV (Oops, I said WMA earlier)

• User profile image
    brichpmr

alwaysmc2 wrote:
    Rossj wrote:
    alwaysmc2 wrote: I'm talking about is it possible to convert WMA to MOV?

Yes it is.

Then is it possible to convert a MOV to WMV (Oops, I said WMA earlier)

Try this:

http://www.filetrial.com/convert/mediaconverter.html

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.