Coffeehouse Thread

130 posts

IE7 Beta 2 released

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    blowdart

Winston Pang wrote:

Also, the drop down for the back and forward buttons, so does the drop down only correspond to the back page historys or what?

Both

• User profile image
    Rowan

I've submitted a number of bugs to Connect, however the response I got for #61102 is a worry.

John H wrote:

Thanks for reporting this issue. We won't be able to address this in IE7.0 due to our layout behavior freeze (please see the IEBLOG http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/03/23/559409.aspx for more info on this). We will consider this for the next IE release.

-- John H.

The bug I reported was specifically related to CSS and HTML rendering issues, that's why you were in "Layout behaviour freeze", to fix these type of bugs.

What makes John think that "layout behaviour freeze" mean that CSS bugs can't be fixed?

Btw, thanks for delivering on time.

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

Looks like I may have to boot into XP today to install this! Also, what is the actualy build of Beta 2?

• User profile image
    blowdart

Hold up, there's WinFX settings in the secuity zone setup.

That's new.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

It installs and works fine on XP x64.

It worries me that my two current pet bugs aren't fixed yet (well, one of them worries me, the other I didn't report until this weekend so it's not strange it hasn't been fixed).

The first one (which is the one I reported nearly two months ago) is the "IE7 displays an unneeded horizontal scrollbar when the page contains right-floated italic text" (example, Connect feedback page). This one has existed since the first IE7 Beta2 Preview for XPSP2, and has been in every build for XP or Vista since.

The second one is "An element with position:absolute inside an element with position:relative inside an element with a left padding subtracts the padding from the absolute offset" (example, Connect feedback page). This one was in the previous IE7 Beta2 Preview, but it wasn't in Vista 5342. It did however show up in Vista 5365 which is when I bugged it.

Both of these bugs happen in strict mode, are not due to IE6 workarounds but actual bugs in IE7, and have been seen on actual pages "in the wild" which would need to be modified if they aren't fixed. The last thing us web developers need is another set of workarounds that apply to IE7 but not to IE6.

If you are in the Vista beta and can access the Connect bugs, please validate and vote. Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

blowdart wrote:
    Winston Pang wrote:

Also, the drop down for the back and forward buttons, so does the drop down only correspond to the back page historys or what?

Both

Why does the drop-down use the Vista style of drop-down? Why doesn't it use the native drop-down widget?

• User profile image
    Zeo

Woot! Downloading now!

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Is the Rich Text Editor lag gone?  If it is, I'll try it.

[edit] SWEET!!! It is!!!  This is now my primary browser (this was the reason I didn't switch before).

[edit2] and McAfee Security Center works now.  So I don't have any good reason to uninstall it.

• User profile image
    JeremyJ

I have been developing against IE7 for my current project and it is soooo much nicer than developing against IE6.  It is the little things that make me happy like being able to have a div overlap a drop down control.  Big Smile

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Winston Pang wrote:
    But for the back and forward buttons, somtimes i notice that when i go to a page on a link the back button doesn't enable anymore.

The link might be opening in a new tab for you and you're not noticing it.

• User profile image
    BruceMorgan

Harlequin wrote:
    Winston Pang wrote: But for the back and forward buttons, somtimes i notice that when i go to a page on a link the back button doesn't enable anymore.

The link might be opening in a new tab for you and you're not noticing it.
    That's possible, but Beta 2 does fix a regression in the March 20th Beta 2 preview where the back button was broken navigating away from certain sites.  That was commonly reported on Connect.

• User profile image
    Scott Bryen

im having trouble uninstalling the previous preview build Perplexed. its not showing up in add an remove programs even if i click show updates. Any one have any ideas how to uninstall?

• User profile image
    Badgerguy

Just downloaded and installed - it seems allot quicker.  Still certain things seem quicker to load in FireFox, but this new beta closes the gap considerably.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Scott Bryen wrote:

im having trouble uninstalling the previous preview build . its not showing up in add an remove programs even if i click show updates. Any one have any ideas how to uninstall?

See the Release Notes under the heading "Uninstalling Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 before reinstalling Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2".

• User profile image
    Scott Bryen

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    Scott Bryen wrote:

im having trouble uninstalling the previous preview build . its not showing up in add an remove programs even if i click show updates. Any one have any ideas how to uninstall?

See the Release Notes under the heading "Uninstalling Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 before reinstalling Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2".

i tried this:

%windir%\$NtUninstallie7bet2p$\spuninst\spuninst.exe

and got this:

is there any other way of doing it?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Did you remove the uninstall directory? If that's the case, you should find another machine with the tech preview installed and copy the uninstall directory to your machine. Then run that command again.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

blatzcoder wrote:
    PaoloM wrote: Did you remove the uninstall directory? If that's the case, you should find another machine with the tech preview installed and copy the uninstall directory to your machine. Then run that command again.
    I thought "software your Grandma can use" was the mantra of Microsoft. You make it sound like there will plenty of tech support calls coming in!

Beta software ISN'T supposed to be software your Grandma can use.  They don't want the computer illiterate trying the betas, because they can't provide productive feedback.

If the final release has such issues-- and they are not related to removing the beta-- I will be disappointed.  But it shouldn't.

• User profile image
    Charles

What questions do you want the IE team to answer re:Beta 2?

We are going to conduct an interview for C9 with some IE devs and PMs and I want to bring your questions to them.

Speak up.

C

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.