Coffeehouse Thread

130 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

IE7 Beta 2 released

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    cyberneticl​oop

As far as I can see, there's no integrated search for Favorites in IE 7 on XP.  Is there in the Vista version?

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

jamie wrote:

Will fullscreen ever be fullscreen again? If not - as ive been told - will you be naming it something else?  (80% full screen?)

My full screen is full screen...  don't know why, but it is.  The toolbars autohide correctly (although the status bar stays there).  I'd have a picture, but Imageshack appears to be acting up.

• User profile image
    Minh

(sigh) Froze up on me within the first minute of use.

Going into my .Text (yes, v 0.9) Admin page and the CPU pegs out at 100%. Usually beta 2's are supposed to be more stable than this, right?

BTW, my .Text Admin tabs stopped rendering correctly prior to Beta 2, but I heard layout rendering functionalities are frozen, isn't it?

BTW2, Oh, for the love of Bhudda, clicking on the "blank tab" button would pegs the CPU up to 100%, too.

This is worse than the B2 Preview.

• User profile image
    jamie

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    jamie wrote:
    Will fullscreen ever be fullscreen again? If not - as ive been told - will you be naming it something else?  (80% full screen?)

My full screen is full screen...  don't know why, but it is.  The toolbars autohide correctly (although the status bar stays there).  I'd have a picture, but Imageshack appears to be acting up.

not local - from http://   (now dont get me started... multiple monitors (right on scoble) Wink

edit:  so your status bar is on.. (off - it adds it)  then its not fullscreen

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

jamie wrote:
    not local - from http://   (now dont get me started... multiple monitors (right on scoble)

edit:  so your status bar is on..  then its not fullscreen

How many?

I've noticed alot of apps have strange behavior on multimon configs when going full-screen.  I think it has something to do with how they compute "full screen" - i.e., polling screen resolution, desktop space, or using a DirectX API. All three return different results (Yoinks!)... Plus, we've all seen that Microsoft's Multimon support is sadly limited.

"Yes, you can do it.  Good luck."

• User profile image
    jamie

SlackmasterK wrote:
    jamie wrote: not local - from http://   (now dont get me started... multiple monitors (right on scoble)

edit:  so your status bar is on..  then its not fullscreen

How many?

I've noticed alot of apps have strange behavior on multimon configs when going full-screen.  I think it has something to do with how they compute "full screen" - i.e., polling screen resolution, desktop space, or using a DirectX API. All three return different results (Yoinks!)... Plus, we've all seen that Microsoft's Multimon support is sadly limited.

"Yes, you can do it.  Good luck."

ive had 2 to 3 monitors for years - ive never once seen a game (quake,doom take advantage of all monitors

i see screenshots all over the web with techies running them with 80 monitors and stuff - why is it so hard for a game to load and go - hmm this dude has 3 monitors - one great card - two lame cards - **program tabulates differences across all monitors - redistributes ram and resourses - launches and uses all

actually vista should do something like that - so people with 600$ card with 2 outs could still run 3 monitors (pci) by distributing the shared power of all cards and dividing the load.

If the end figure/ammount is not enough to power the 3 screens - it doesnt do it  (at least you know the system would try to combine your video horse power across the spectrum

• User profile image
    Nitz Walsh

jamie wrote:

Why is every icon style seemingly different? (rounded square, circle or no container at all,  - gray / full colour ...- glass-ish / xp-ish ...  flat / 3d...) ?

Hey, look on the bright side - they got rid of that sort-of-circle that enclosed the favourites icon at least. Smiley

I have to agree overall though,  the interface (much like Vista) is just ridiculously schizo at this point.  To wit:

The back/forward buttons and depressed, gradient-filled circles with a dark blue.  On the right is a bright-green gradient with the refresh button which is not depressed, which apparently is always highlighted because...uh, MS thinks you'll be refreshing pages often or something.  I guess.

Right beside it, a gray gradient box with a red X enclosed - that is outlined in white btw, while the other icons are outlined in black.  A flat search box, then a bright blue gradient again with the search icon.

Below that on the left side, you have two orange/yellow icons with a very minor gradient, again not depressed.  Past all the tabs, you have a selection of flat icons of varying colours, and seemingly design styles.  Which of course significantly increases mouse movement - upper right-corner to refresh or stop a page from loading, down and alongside the left side of the screen you can access favourites, then on the far-right side you can access feeds. 

And I thought the Mac's consistent menu bar increased mouse movement too much.

Now, I'm using the Royale Theme for XP, basically the only decent MS-sanctioned them out there.  So with IE7 maximized, I have a dark blue gradient title bar, along with a slightly darker gradient in the back/forward buttons, the aforementioned bright green refresh button (is it supposed to be the most important button in the browser?!), darker gradient search button, then flat mono-coloured icons spread out across the second level.

I mean...WTF?  I know this is a beta, and I do admit I've seen significant improvements in MS's interfaces from beta to near-final (MS Desktop Search, Windows Live Messenger have progressed nicely), but shouldn't even programmers know this stuff with respect to interface consistency? 

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

jamie wrote:
    CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    jamie wrote:

not local - from http://   (now dont get me started... multiple monitors (right on scoble)

edit:  so your status bar is on.. (off - it adds it)  then its not fullscreen

Nope.  Posting right now in full screen with the status bar off (turned off in toolbars menu) and the toolbar autohidden.  Want proof?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/CannotResolveSymbol/full_screen.jpg (Link fixed)

I am using one monitor at 1280x800 (laptop LCD's native resolution).  I have done no registry hacking and just installed IE7 this morning.  When you point up at the top, the toolbar appears, just like it did in IE5 or 6 (with the new toolbar buttons and layout, of course)

• User profile image
    jamie

link is broken

ps- re; nitz - agreed on ALL

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Fixed the link, apparently the RTE (which automatically made the link when I pasted in the URL) changed the link target when I shortened the text of the link.

• User profile image
    jamie

well i cant load ie7 and you only have one monitor so ..we dont know

*if youre saying beyond a shadow of a doubt that ie7 has indeed restored true full screen the way it used to work - hooray!

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

If someone else hasn't tried it by then and I remember to, I'll try full screen with two monitors on Thursday (next time I'll be with a second monitor).

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

Minh wrote:
    Going into my .Text (yes, v 0.9) Admin page and the CPU pegs out at 100%. Usually beta 2's are supposed to be more stable than this, right?

I don't have the CPU maxing out problems, but the .Text admin pages are completely borked under IE7, both the B2Preview and the newest Beta2. The linkbar at the top (Posts, Articles, Feedback, etc) only shows the first item (Posts) stretched across the entire length. The rich-text edit box gives up completely and only gives me the plain-text HTML editor and viewing referrers to a post starts sticking random lines all over the place.

A bit hard to post a repro on Connect, though, what with being an admin page and all. Smiley

• User profile image
    borosen

Minh wrote:
    (sigh) Froze up on me within the first minute of use.

BTW2, Oh, for the love of Bhudda, clicking on the "blank tab" button would pegs the CPU up to 100%, too.

This is worse than the B2 Preview.

I had the same experience... WTF

Went to the IE blog and saw others with the same problem.

It turned out to be due to the iedev-toolbar I had installed. When I updated to the latest one the problem was gone, and the browser experience is really good.

• User profile image
    Minh

Got rid of the IE dev toolbar & my CPU woes went away, however, this still blows -- color me extremely unimpressed, IE team -- as this was reported in B2 preview. Steps to repro:

1) Post in Ink
    2) Coffeehouse

• User profile image
    BruceMorgan

Minh wrote:
    Got rid of the IE dev toolbar & my CPU woes went away, however, this still blows -- color me extremely unimpressed, IE team -- as this was reported in B2 preview. Steps to repro:

1) Post in Ink
    2) Coffeehouse

Not all things reported in B2P are fixed in B2.  Many things are, especially the high priority / high severity bugs. 

Stay tuned for Beta 3.

• User profile image
    Charles

BruceMorgan wrote:
    Minh wrote: Got rid of the IE dev toolbar & my CPU woes went away, however, this still blows -- color me extremely unimpressed, IE team -- as this was reported in B2 preview. Steps to repro:

1) Post in Ink
    2) Coffeehouse

Not all things reported in B2P are fixed in B2.  Many things are, especially the high priority / high severity bugs. 

Stay tuned for Beta 3.

What's the bug with inking? Can you elaborate, Bruce?
    C

• User profile image
    BruceMorgan

Charles wrote:
    What's the bug with inking? Can you elaborate, Bruce?
    C
    Sorry, I don't know what it is specifically.  Looking on Connect, I don't find any bugs with keywords "ink", "inking", or "coffeehouse".  I'm not connected to corpnet right now to look on our internal systems.

Perhaps Minh could give the feedback ID and/or a more detailed explanation?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.