Coffeehouse Thread

42 posts

MSH is now PowerShell

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    staceyw

Sounds like the new name for Monad will be Windows PowerShell.  Extentions will be ps1, ps2, etc, for versioning.  Wonder is that means RTM is getting close?

• User profile image
    TimP

Sounds pretty bad to me.

• User profile image
    irascian

TimP wrote:
    Sounds pretty bad to me.

Well as Scoble's pointed out on his blog, the original name was ripe for detractors to take the mickey out of, being very similar to "Gonad".

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Yeah, but PowerShell is so goddamn cheesy and cheap. I can't think of a better name on the fly now, but their marketting had all the time in the world.

• User profile image
    dahat

staceyw wrote:
    Sounds like the new name for Monad will be Windows PowerShell.  Extentions will be ps1, ps2, etc, for versioning.

I wonder if that will cause some... confusion in the eyes of some users, or the concern of a chance of it in the eyes of Sony lawyers.

• User profile image
    staceyw

Tom Servo wrote:
    Yeah, but PowerShell is so goddamn cheesy and cheap. I can't think of a better name on the fly now, but their marketting had all the time in the world.

That was my initial reaction as well.  After an hour or so, I can't think of a better name either.  Maybe ManagedShell and leave it as msh.

• User profile image
    cyberneticl​oop

Sparkle ==> Expression Interactive Designer
    Avalon==>Windows Presentation Foundation
    Monad==>Powershell

The individuals coming up with these blandly generic, official names ought to have flunked out of Marketing 101.  Fire them; give their salaries as bonuses to the developers who come up with the internal codenames.

I'm still waiting for the masterstroke branding move:  renaming Windows to Acme Operating System.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Yeah Scoble brought that up on his blog...why can't Microsoft keep the c00! names?

• User profile image
    Rossj

Time to get the chequebook out again.. I am guessing that Microsoft probably don't care if there is a product with the same name though.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

ChrisA wrote:
    The BASH ripoff is now PowerShell.  How delightful.

What is BASH?

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

ChrisA wrote:

You should be so happy we're taking from you Linux guys isn't that the purpose of GPL?

• User profile image
    BryanF

irascian wrote:
    Well as Scoble's pointed out on his blog, the original name was ripe for detractors to take the mickey out of, being very similar to "Gonad".
    Why does that have to be a bad thing? Just tune the marketing message accordingly:

"Windows finally grew a pair, and now our competitors are nervous."

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

ChrisA wrote:

Hilarious! You do know that bash is a GNU "ripoff" of the Unix Bourne Shell (sh) don't you?

Oh, and bash runs on Windows too!

• User profile image
    teis

Worst name, ever

• User profile image
    staceyw

ChrisA wrote:

Your joking right?  If you think it is like bash, you have not really used it.  Now if you said ksh, perl and ruby muched together, you would still only be half right.

• User profile image
    staceyw
  • User profile image
    PerfectPhase

cyberneticloop wrote:

Sparkle ==> Expression Interactive Designer
    Avalon==>Windows Presentation Foundation
    Monad==>Powershell

I hate the bland functional names, but I even prefer Microsoft Shell (MSH) to Powershell, which makes me think of washing detergant for some reason.

At least it's better than 'Microsoft Interactive Comand Line Foundation' or some such

• User profile image
    JKelley

At least it isn't named Microsoft Shell Foundation Interface Window or some such.  I actually like PowerShell it reminds me of replacing command.com and those bygone days.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.