Coffeehouse Thread

32 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

A comment for Scoble?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    orcmid

Well, the Channel 9 line is already blurred.  Look at all of us who are not part of the pod that have an identity here. I suppose I could start a thread, as can anyone.

I think topicality handles itself.  I wouldn't worry.

It is interesting that this was a place that provided a side channel while a problem about web logging elsewhere is sorted out. [;<).

• User profile image
    raena

From a Steve on Scoble's comments: This is better than the last one. But without the load speed it is hard to tell... Well, I thought the last one loaded ok on its demo page. I just can't find it anymore because -- surprise-surprise -- the comments are playing up. Anyway, the hassle's still here for people who read your blog in an agg, because we still need to go to your site to leave a comment in a convenient way. Quoth the Scoble -- Personally I think this whole mess is just gonna go away. Everyone of you should have your own blog. If I say something idiotic, you should blog it, link to me. I watch my Technorati page and Feedster and Pubsub too. That's a much better way to comment on something I write. Maybe some of us want to see what others have said too. Time is precious and I'd rather just click one link to see it. This is why I dig the idea of TrackBack, and Textpattern's method of storing and displaying referrers ('mentions') -- people who want to post a comment the good old fashioned way can, while those of us with blogs and so on can just post away and be happy in the knowledge that someone visiting your site will know that we've said something too.

• User profile image
    raena

...huh? What's the deal with the mushed-togetherness? (an edit: So I tried HTML as well as BBCode. Looked perfect on my preview, but got totally mushed in the actual post. WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT.)

• User profile image
    eagle

Robert, your new look blog needs a little more color.
    The Bliss backround would be real nice. I was there the day they snaped that photo (June 2000), passed them on my bike. I lived in that village for 15 years, was the only one with a computer for most of that time. Now it's even on my pocketPC, you see it everywhere!

If you know of anyone who would like to travel to that spot, let me know. Microsoft should have a contest, "Journey to Bliss", the air there is so sweet and the scenery is superb.

• User profile image
    Karim

You mean that scenery in the Bliss wallpaper is real?

I just assumed it was all CGI.  Like Rivendell in The Lord of the Rings or something.

And "Bliss" is a village?  Like with a cooper and a blacksmith and dairy wench?  Or is it a planned community, like the one in the TV series "The Prisoner?"  (Be seeing you.) 

I just assumed that with that much manicured lawn, it had to be a golf course.  ("And it's a long par four back to the Redmond campus...")  Either that or the "village" is infested with roving herds of ravenous sheep...

So Microsoft should have a contest to send the "winner" off to some place with no broadband, no WiFi, no Starbucks, no cell phone coverage, and roving herds of ravenous sheep? 

What would second prize be?  TWO trips to this place?

• User profile image
    eagle

Yes, it's a real place! That "manicured lawn" is a field that had been cut for silage (winter feed for cows) by a big yellow tractor just ten days before.

The old Blacksmiths forge is just down the road, no one there milkes cows anymore but it is the best place for raising calfs.

There is excellent cell phone coverage as there is a big tower on top of a mountain just across the bay.

This is not a village, it's the townland of Baslickane and for coffee we had a Club Med. 

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Why not just send the Channel9 team there, to shoot a video in Bliss?

• User profile image
    Karim

LOL eagle, ok, I stand corrected on the cell phone coverage... perhaps I will do a version of the Bliss wallpaper featuring a big cellphone tower.

Can any of our German-speaking friends translate this cartoon for me?

With the help of Babelfish, it looks something like:

"No, I don't know Bill Gates, and the sky is strangely still for me too."

• User profile image
    jamie

i think it says:

"I hear Gates finally harnessed the power of the Sun." 
     "Yes, we can no longer bet our bottom dollar that it will come back up tomorro"

• User profile image
    RyJones

eagle wrote:
    This is not a village, it's the townland of Baslickane and for coffee we had a Club Med. 

Over here in the Palouse (a mere 300 miles by road from Microsoft) a lot of people assume the shot was taken locally. The rolling hills, the greenery - looks like home (moscow, idaho)

• User profile image
    eagle

Most Microsofties I talk to also "think" it is in Washington State or maybe Pennsylvania, but I can bring you to Baslickane (bass-la-con) and you will set about looking for the START button.

• User profile image
    jsrfc58

Karim wrote:
    LOL eagle, ok, I stand corrected on the cell phone coverage... perhaps I will do a version of the Bliss wallpaper featuring a big cellphone tower.

Can any of our German-speaking friends translate this cartoon for me?

With the help of Babelfish, it looks something like:

"No, I don't know Bill Gates, and the sky is strangely still for me too."

I tried to run it through "Freetranslation.com" and it said: "No, I know no Bill Gates and the sky comes me also not strangely before".

Funny, I don't think that is quite right.

• User profile image
    jkirwan

You know, I was just thinking the other day that the sky comes me also not strangely before.

• User profile image
    eagle

Karim wrote:
    LOL eagle, ok, I stand corrected on the cell phone coverage... perhaps I will do a version of the Bliss wallpaper featuring a big cellphone tower

If you look at the Sample Pictures that come with WindowsXP, that beautiful red sunset was snaped at Raheen very near the Bliss spot. High atop that mountain just where the sun is setting you can just about make out the tower.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.