Coffeehouse Thread

38 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Are we too good?!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

Would I get banned if I would post in a Linux forum about how cool Windows/Office/VS/take_any_other_Microsoft_app is?

Serious question! I mean there is people posting (creating threads) about all that nonsense: It's annoying me. They try to kill every discussion with their weird replies.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

The problem with Blatz/ChrisA/Nanite is that when you ask "Why is it cool?" You never get a response.

Linux is cool
        Why?
             Because?
                   Because why?
                         Microsoft is dead?
                               *scratches head*

Smiley

• User profile image
    maniac78

I think those discussions have a place on channel 9. The problem is they often descend into name calling. It's too bad.

• User profile image
    Sampy

I'd rather be the community that puts up with too much than the community that puts up with too little.

• User profile image
    Charles

Sampy wrote:
    I'd rather be the community that puts up with too much than the community that puts up with too little.

amen

• User profile image
    littleguru

Sampy wrote:

This is also a valid position, for sure Smiley

Edit: My last thread/post on this issue ...

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Charles wrote:
    Sampy wrote: I'd rather be the community that puts up with too much than the community that puts up with too little.

amen

Amen

• User profile image
    Detroit Muscle

littleguru wrote:
    Are we to good?!

Obviously not:
    Are we too good?!

• User profile image
    eagle

I'm part of a community, we have User Group meetings, Code Camps and we meet-up at conferences and events.

We always have a good time, laughing and learning......when I tell them about C9 they laugh at me! 

• User profile image
    maniac78

blatzcoder wrote:
    maniac78 wrote: I think those discussions have a place on channel 9. The problem is they often descend into name calling. It's too bad.
    I can't think of an instance where I called anybody a name. But I was sure called a lot of names. And told to see if I could try to bear hug the front end of a speeding locomotive.

Anyhoo, no, you are not too good. What are the benefits of a Linux system? They are many. It is open. It is growing by the day. You don't have to wait weeks for critical patches. Curious about the inner workings of your OS? Go right ahead and look around. Customize it into your own OS and maybe make some $$$$. Want to be part of some exciting opportunities and help put together a growing office product? Go right ahead.

Again, I digress. Proceed with your usual name calling.

I agree there are benefits to Linux. There are also many benefits to using Windows. This is the kind of debate which should occur. A nice clear rational sharing of ideas between the two camps.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

eagle wrote:
    I'm part of a community, we have User Group meetings, Code Camps and we meet-up at conferences and events.

We always have a good time, laughing and learning......when I tell them about C9 they laugh at me! 

I had a similar experience when I brought up C9 to one of the MSFT evangelists that tours our area. 

He was obviously very, very into MSFT products, but he had never heard of C9.

• User profile image
    zzzzz

I think one of the problems discussing Linux on this forum is we all know the pluses and minuses to both systems too well and its been discussed  for the past 5 years we're beating a dead horse.

We all know MS has issues with patching, security, and reaps unbelievable profit margins for shipping product that is so buggy, flawed and its disgraceful.  A history of IP abuse breaking competitors software, and Slow development cycle.

but MS has it advantages too: backwards compatibility, easy to use interface, large third party support,  gets industry standards finalized

OSS has its problems bad documentation, poor third party support, zero backwards compatibility,  no protection for IP,  pretty much hates the idea IP.  Even a slower development cycle.  Playing catch up to  For Profit Software Companies

But OSS has pluses we can see how it ticks and fix problems with code that breaks our apps.  A very good security record.  Easier to change things.  We can learn from the code created by others.  its free or allot cheaper. 

We all know this stuff and discussing this is a waste of time. We decided some time ago which OS we prefer. 

The conversations that my be received better is Technically specific conversation example how Linux implements preemptive multi-tasking vs Windows or Thread management.  Not political hot topics like Linux's is better or MS is better.  We need to stay on the technical side of the debate because we do not seem able to control our selves from boiling ethical or personal views to name calling...

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

So you're saying that you like to get your hands dirty.  I can relate to that to some extent.
    edit:
    I'm really glad that as far as I can tell we are still taking in calm, even, neutral  tones.  It should stay that way.Smiley

• User profile image
    AndyC

blatzcoder wrote:
    I'd much rather program for the Linux platform because they need the help. The Windows platform doesn't need any more help.

And this is precisely the reason I prefer to deploy Windows based solutions. Though on occasion I have recommended Linux (and even Mac) solutions where they were more appropriate.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

littleguru wrote:
    Would I get banned if I would post in a Linux forum about how cool Windows/Office/VS/take_any_other_Microsoft_app is?

Serious question! I mean there is people posting (creating threads) about all that nonsense: It's annoying me. They try to kill every discussion with their weird replies.

Depends on where you go.  I've seen a lot of immaturity on both sides...

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

[quote user="blatzcoder"]

maniac78 wrote: I think those discussions have a place on channel 9. The problem is they often descend into name calling. It's too bad.
    I can't think of an instance where I called anybody a name. quote]
    I'm relatively sure you've called Microsoft names, called them evil, incompetent, etc..  That counts.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

DoomBringer wrote:
    blatzcoder said:
    I can't think of an instance where I called anybody a name.

I'm relatively sure you've called Microsoft names, called them evil, incompetent, etc..  That counts.

Well, it's safe to say that very few of us have never resorted to name calling.

• User profile image
    Maurits

DoomBringer wrote:

No.  People have feelings.  Companies don't.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.