Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Learning .NET

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

How do you guys recommend learning .NET? Microsoft sent me a free copy of Visual Basic.NET 2003 Standard Edition and a small book so I guess I'm stuck with Visual Basic unless I download the beta express software from Microsoft's website. What do you recommend doing to learn it?

• User profile image
    Mike Dimmick

IMO most of the good resources are in C#, but don't let that bother you. I learned .NET by reading Applied Microsoft .NET Framework Programming by Jeffrey Richter and Programming .NET by Jeff Prosise.

The first title sounds really wussy, but it's actually right-to-the-metal, like most of Richter's books. It teaches the core of how to program against the CLR and some of the base class library. There's also a VB.NET version.

The second book covers more of the framework including Windows Forms and ASP.NET.

• User profile image
    jkirwan

I have to agree with Mike. Do not get bogged down in language choice. .NET is all about the framework. Learn that, and you're 90% of the way home, especially if you have some OOP experience already.

• User profile image
    phunky_avoc​ado

The language thing is irrelevant.  I go back and forth between VB.NET and C# all the time; that is, I use both interchangably as required.

Shining Arcanine wrote:
    How do you guys recommend learning .NET? Microsoft sent me a free copy of Visual Basic.NET 2003 Standard Edition and a small book so I guess I'm stuck with Visual Basic unless I download the beta express software from Microsoft's website. What do you recommend doing to learn it?

• User profile image
    Keskos

Shining Arcanine wrote:

I have learned .net recently, not much, but so so.  I recommend frst learning a language, like C# or VB.Net. I recommend C#. Then go a step higher and learn .net. There you have different options. You can either focus on asp.net, or windows forms, or pocket pc programming. Asp.net is great. You can download the visual studio express beta and play with the asp.net, which for you, I believe is xhtml complaint and its editor is as good as dreamweaver or even better. Wink

• User profile image
    sbc

Maybe with a bit of luck VWD Express will be cheaper than Dreamweaver (which IMHO is not very good at ASP.NET).

If you really want to get proficient at .NET try coding by hand - rather than relying on Visual Studio or another IDE that does the work for you.

It's much like hand coding HTML/CSS - if you do it that way you really need to understand the code that you write to get it to work.

Of course, many people take snippets of code without really understanding it and only do minimal tweaks (changing the value of a string variable for instant). Perhaps for those that want to get into programming in general to try Python as it is meant to teach you a lot about OO programming. Better that than C/C++ (as with those you have to worry about memory management as well as the logic).

• User profile image
    pacelvi

I learned it by having a huge work project thrown at my lap.  Nothing like having no choice BUT to learn it.  Though really, the best way to learn is to set a goal for something you would like to create and then try to do it.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

jkirwan wrote:
    I have to agree with Mike. Do not get bogged down in language choice. .NET is all about the framework. Learn that, and you're 90% of the way home, especially if you have some OOP experience already.

How do you recommend that I learn the Framework?

Keskos wrote:
    Shining Arcanine wrote:How do you guys recommend learning .NET? Microsoft sent me a free copy of Visual Basic.NET 2003 Standard Edition and a small book so I guess I'm stuck with Visual Basic unless I download the beta express software from Microsoft's website. What do you recommend doing to learn it?

I have learned .net recently, not much, but so so.  I recommend frst learning a language, like C# or VB.Net. I recommend C#. Then go a step higher and learn .net. There you have different options. You can either focus on asp.net, or windows forms, or pocket pc programming. Asp.net is great. You can download the visual studio express beta and play with the asp.net, which for you, I believe is xhtml complaint and its editor is as good as dreamweaver or even better. Wink

I've been leaning towards C# since I became interested in learning .NET. How do you recommend learning C#?

• User profile image
    Charles

Fire up your VB.NET 2003 and start playing. If you don't like VB style syntax then download C# Express, but remember that it's a beta (as is the .NET framework version it runs on top of). If you like VB, then use the great, full featured tool you already have.

In general, the best way to learn a new programming model (or any new tool regardless of medium) is to come up with a simple problem to solve. Then use the new tool(s) to help you build a working solution and before you know it, you'll be immersed in deep learning.

Charles

• User profile image
    eagle

I agree with Charles, fire-up that VB.Net, C# is easy to learn when you understand VB.Net. Go to MSDN, there is so much information there. Check-out the webcasts, go to a live MSDN Event. Read the books listed above, if you don't want to buy then go to the library.

What about going to a University and majoring in Computer Science?

• User profile image
    eagle
  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

I reinstalled Windows XP for SP2 so I'm right now reinstalling VB.NET 2003 Standard. Would you happen to know where I can find examples of simple programs written in VB.NET so I can figure out how to language works? Right now I just know how to use the GUI tools in VB.NET 2003. ^_^;;

Edit: Charles, I suppose one of the reasons why I'm interested in .NET is because I want to make a offline version of the pokedex on my pokemon fan site for Windows:

http://www.pokemonfanuniverse.com/pokedex/

Basically it is a pokemon encyclopedia. I suppose writing an encyclopedia isn't a recommended way to learn a framework but it is the most likely way I will learn it. How would you suggest I start on it?

eagle wrote:
    I agree with Charles, fire-up that VB.Net, C# is easy to learn when you understand VB.Net. Go to MSDN, there is so much information there. Check-out the webcasts, go to a live MSDN Event. Read the books listed above, if you don't want to buy then go to the library.

What about going to a University and majoring in Computer Science?

Considering that I want to do this as a hobby I don't think majoring in Computer Science is an option.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

eagle wrote:

That was very helpful; thankyou.

• User profile image
    Keskos

Shining Arcanine wrote:

I've been leaning towards C# since I became interested in learning .NET. How do you recommend learning C#?

First patience is your friend, meaning that don't jump ahead and try to learn everything once, that doesn't work that way. been there done that. Frankly for quick results I recommend a book, online tutorials do not give quick results. Following a book is the best option.

For books you have various choices here. Microsoft press books are great, as well as o'reilly books. Learning C# , Programming in C# are two books I remember. Once you are done with C# and understand different aspects of them, move up to a paltform, like windows forms or asp.net. I personally love asp.net, it is a great , highly recommended.

• User profile image
    JParrish

There are a lot of good books out there, but one thing to be careful of when learning .NET is putting on blinders at the start. .NET is a big technology that spans a platform, server products, a framework, an intermediate language specification, security infrastructure, and even design patterns.

Start broad by reading about the MSIL, the CLR, and scan the framework namespaces to get a general idea of what comes with the .NET runtime. Only when I understood the broad goals of .NET would I pick an area to begin to focus. Language should be based on your preference, but I have tried to steer people towards C# simply because as a C syntactic language you can easily apply your knowledge of the basic language to C, C++, and Java.

Some of the areas to cover would be windows forms, windows services, web applications, and web services. ADO.NET deserves a good deal of attention as the frameworks primary data access library. Good luck on it, hopefully you find it as enjoyable as I have.

• User profile image
    iStation

I started learning .NET with notepad and
    http://www.manning.com/grimes, an only 288-page book. Smiley

• User profile image
    nektar

Also try going through the 101 Visual Basic samples by Microsoft. They can teach you various aspects of VB programming and can be informative for a beginner.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=08e3d5f8-033d-420b-a3b1-3074505c03f3&displaylang=en

• User profile image
    sbc

It looks like one thing you may want to look at is the DataGrid control, as it may a good way of displaying data from your encyclopaedia.

Check out CodeProject for sample code as well and the QuickStart tutorial for DataBinding. windowsforms.net may be useful as well.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.