Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Favorite All Time Text Games

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jsrfc58

Mine would have to be Galactic Empires (Apple) or the Adventure series (1-9 I think)...but are any text games now alive and well anywhere since we are in an age of graphics-intensive software?

• User profile image
    RickH

I'll put in a vote for Trade Wars 2002 and Legend of the Red Dragon.  Google either title, and you'll find several telnet'able bbs's where you can relive the old days (although to really get the vintage effect, you'd have to dial up at 1200 or 2400 baud...)

• User profile image
    aharden
  • User profile image
    JKelley

I actually owned a registered copy of Trade Wars 2002, never had the resources to launch a BBS to host it though.  Sad  Along the same lines, Baron Realms Elite was a lot of fun too.

• User profile image
    lars
  • User profile image
    Maurits

lars wrote:

Seconded.

• User profile image
    DocRaw

Actually, most any Infocom game.

• User profile image
    Karim

Nethack still rules.

http://www.nethack.org/

Salon calls it the best. game. ever. http://dir.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/01/27/nethack/index.html

David Gerrold (big fan of Nethack) said that you might have spend a year or two playing it to really get a feel for it.

David Gerrold is the guy who wrote the Star Trek episode, "The Trouble with Tribbles."  If he doesn't have geek street cred, I don't know who does.  LOL

If by "text games" you mean Adventure-type games specifically, well, they never did that much for me.  I remember playing Zork on a DECsystem 10 and dying within about 10 turns, and being told words to the effect that I was a reckless fool who shouldn't be playing around in caves.  LOL  Owch!

Infocom games also failed to hold my interest, despite titles such as "Leather Goddesses of Phobos."  (The REAL reason we sent rovers to Mars, I think....)

• User profile image
    jeffsand

Zork 1, Zork 2 and Zork 3.

You still play them online, if you want to cheat complete walkthrough's are only an Internet query away.

-Jeff

• User profile image
    Shizza

Tradewars 2002 did rock.  It was a fun type of empire game.  Also BRE rocked.  I ran a BBS for 5 years starting at the age of 10.

• User profile image
    Gambit

Championship Manager, but Front Office Football comes in a close second

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.