Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Live.com hanging IE6

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Escamillo

Today I tried to go to http://www.live.com on two different computers with IE6 (with the latest updates), and IE6 constantly hangs.  The status bar indicates the it's trying to download http://stc.live.com/live/themes/.../<something>.png, with around 35 items left to download, when the hang occurs.  Both computers had no preset live.com settings (I deleted the cookies to make sure).  The hang doesn't occur with IE7.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Edit: I think the <something>.png referred to above is http://stc.live.com/live/1.0.7.054/gadgets/Weather/images/90x70/34.png (for what it's worth Tongue Out).

Edit: I can load the above .png with no problem, so the problem isn't with that particular .png. Wink

• User profile image
    littleguru

Hi, thats AJAX. You probably should wait longer. I had some issues here too. When the internet connection was somehow overloaded (with other downloads) it seemed as if the browser had hung. But after a few minutes it recovered.

This is because of the asynch load of images etc. via AJAX. I find it a little bit bothering that AJAX web sites tend to generate a feeling as if the browser is no longer working... Especially if you work on a slow connection.

• User profile image
    geekling

Hi, I had this problem this morning, so you're not alone with it.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Is it just me, or does live.com look like just another start page?  Besides running on all this new fancy stuff (AJAX, etc.), what makes it so special?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

SlackmasterK wrote:
    Is it just me, or does live.com look like just another start page?  Besides running on all this new fancy stuff (AJAX, etc.), what makes it so special?

It's configurable. And you can write your own gadgets.

But it still is slow. I am not 100% sold on this all-AJAX-all-the-time approach...

• User profile image
    geekling

For me, the fact that it is a user extensible start page, with widgets and all.

It looks exactly how I want it to look, and nothing less.

• User profile image
    aaron.axvig

It's my homepage on all my computers, but what I really dislike is how long it takes to load.  At least 5 seconds everytime.  Any other page I go to loads in half a second (university connection).  I would use the live.com search more if I didn't have to wait 5 seconds for the page to load.  Right now, Google is what I turn to if I'm not in the mood to wait.

• User profile image
    Escamillo

SlackmasterK, PaoloM, aaron.axvig, I'd appreciate not having this thread derailed into a debate on the qualities of live.com as a service.  I'm hoping for a Microsoft guy at that works at live.com or on IE6 to see this so they know there's a problem. Wink

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Sorry Smiley

On topic: I don't have IE6 installed on any of my machines, so I can't test it...

• User profile image
    Escamillo

littleguru wrote:
    Hi, thats AJAX. You probably should wait longer. I had some issues here too. When the internet connection was somehow overloaded (with other downloads) it seemed as if the browser had hung. But after a few minutes it recovered.

This is because of the asynch load of images etc. via AJAX. I find it a little bit bothering that AJAX web sites tend to generate a feeling as if the browser is no longer working... Especially if you work on a slow connection.
    Thanks for the response, but I'm skeptical that it's a problem with AJAX + slow connection or overloaded servers.  I can wait up to 10 minutes, and IE6 is still hung (at which time I terminate the app).  And I've visited www.live.com many times (not everyday) over the past few weeks, and never had this happen until today.  And it doesn't happen with IE7.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Escamillo wrote:
    I'm hoping for a Microsoft guy at that works at live.com or on IE6 to see this so they know there's a problem.

Just tried on my office machine (IE6, all the latest patches) and it works fine. Do you have any unusual plugins listed in the Manage Add-Ons section?

• User profile image
    Escamillo

geekling wrote:
    Hi, I had this problem this morning, so you're not alone with it.
    OK, thanks. Smiley

• User profile image
    Escamillo

AndyC wrote:

Escamillo wrote: I'm hoping for a Microsoft guy at that works at live.com or on IE6 to see this so they know there's a problem.

Just tried on my office machine (IE6, all the latest patches) and it works fine. Do you have any unusual plugins listed in the Manage Add-Ons section?
    Not that I can see. 

I send the crash report to MS, so I guess they'll figure it out.  It just bugs me, is all (Live.com is one of my pet projects to keep an eye on). Wink

• User profile image
    Alt-F4

Just wait for some different weather and you'll be fine!!

• User profile image
    Escamillo

Seems to happen with Maxthon as well, so I guess it's mshtml.dll that's causing the problem.

• User profile image
    Escamillo

It seems that Microsoft doesn't give a damn about Live.com crashing IE6.  What, are all the devs there only using IE7 now?  Tongue Out

I've tried this on three computers this week (this is the first week that I've seen this problem), and IE6 hangs when loading live.com and all of them.  I've tried multiple apps that use the IE6 component (Maxthon and Offline Explorer), and both of them hang when loading live.com.  I've seen others report the problem.  So, I'm not imagining this.  I'm irritated because I can't even use live.com search because live.com itself hangs my browser (unless I use Firefox, ironically).

(BTW, I get the same hang when going to www.channel9.ca/live, which would be expected.)

Anyway, I'm going to bump this thread each Tuesday until this gets fixed, or at least there's some official acknowledgement of the problem, or IE7 is RTM (at which point I won't give a damn about IE6 and third party apps using IE components will be using IE7's dlls Smiley).

(Or, until I can find some way to actually officially report this bug; I know of no way to report IE6 or live.com bugs).

• User profile image
    momus

> Escamillo  [...] I'm hoping for a Microsoft guy at that works at live.com or on IE6 to see this so they know there's a problem.

Hope is eternal. or at least more than 20 days. It is now May 25 and Live.com still hangs IE window. (IE6 on an XP and on win 2000 computers with fast internet connection (5Mb Comcast)).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.