Coffeehouse Thread

23 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

August 24, 1995

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

It won't be the 24th until 3 hours from now EST but does anyone remember what happened on that day? Smiley

• User profile image
    Karim

I threw out my Windows 95 Preview Program disks?

• User profile image
    eagle

I had an IBM Thinkpad 701c with duel boot of OS2 Warp and Windows 3.1. I jumped at the chance to upgrade to Windows '95, I hated OS2 Warp - it felt so good to format that disk, then with Windows '95 that Thinkpad realy came to life!

• User profile image
    ahockley

I was stuck working a midnight shift at Computer City (remember them?) to sell this weird new version of Windows where, when you wanted to turn off your PC, you clicked on a button that said "Start".

• User profile image
    sbc

Does seem an odd way to shut down. I'm sure it's still confusing to new users. I wonder if people will still know what to do if the button did not have 'start' on it (just the Windows logo)? Perhaps there should be an option to only have the logo - is it possible to do that?

• User profile image
    Manip

I never understood why Microsoft is so anti people changing their start menu caption aka 'Start'. In Windows 2K you could hack the kernel but in XP they have encrypted it so that is no longer going to happen.. and it is still hard-coded into XP. Sad

• User profile image
    eagle

Shutting down a computer is a process, so you are STARTing a process.

• User profile image
    sbc

For the average user they would not really know what a process is. They just know things like 'click the blue E to get the internet' or the blue W to start writing a letter. Maybe a stop/finish/end button would have made sense as you want to stop using the computer - click stop, then OK to confirm.

I wonder why they decided on a 'Start' menu, rather than some other term?

• User profile image
    Manip

Maybe to do with the 'start here' from Windows 95.

• User profile image
    Maurits

On many modern machines you can just hit the power button and that will trigger a shutdown in the same way as Start | Shut Down | Shut down

But why is the first D capital, and the second D lower-case???

• User profile image
    eagle

If you start me up
    If you start me up I'll never stop
    If you start me up
    I've been running hot
    You got me ticking gonna blow my top
    If you start me up

You make a grown man cry
    Spread out the oil, the gasoline
    I walk smooth, ride in a mean, mean machine
    Start it up

• User profile image
    jamie

Longhorn Release Date:  Aug 24 2005  - 10 yr anniversary ( shoot for it!!! Smiley

• User profile image
    Heywood_J

Shining Arcanine wrote:
    It won't be the 24th until 3 hours from now EST but does anyone remember what happened on that day? Smiley

Millions of computer users were introduced to The Blue Screen of Death.

• User profile image
    jamie

as well as:

- did you see how fast that floppy copied??!!
    - look how many things i have open at once!!
    - tcpip is built in!
    - look how many fonts i can have now!
    - properties - on every object!
    - DEVICE MANAGER!
    - plug and play

them thar were good days

• User profile image
    LazyCoder

Jamie forgot one.

"It comes on HOW many floppies?!"

• User profile image
    quanta

You can change the Start button in WindowsXP by using StyleBuilder to edit or create your own Visual Style. You then need a patcher for your uxtheme.dll to allow non-official visual styles.

I have my start button read, "Go *". It just makes my computing a happier experience.

P.S. I remember the crazy marketing involved. There was a giant banner hung from the CN Tower.

P.P.S. I also remember how cool it was to have a video of Edie Brickell's "Good Times" playing on my computer. Oh, and playing Hover.

• User profile image
    eagle

LazyCoder wrote:
    Jamie forgot one.

"It comes on HOW many floppies?!"

• User profile image
    jamie

i made a "Black" theme with stylebuilder when xp first came out

www.gnuarts.com/xp

theres download link etc

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.