Coffeehouse Thread

35 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Consolas font....do we like it?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Harlequin

Since there were other threads on the downloading of it. Maybe ask if we like it? Smiley

I've been using it for a few days already in Visual Studio 2003, and I'm amazed how quickly I got used to it. It just seems like when looking at it, I don't know, it's just works. It just feels like I'm looking at a block of code and it's easy on the eyes.

• User profile image
    out180

I agree completely.  It is very easy on the eyes and the layout is clean in the editor and in the console. 

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

It's very clean and readable, but it's only marginally better (if better at all) than Lucida Sans Typewriter, the font I had been using in the code editor.  Not a flaw in Consolas, Lucida Sans Typewriter's just a good font.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Yep. The font is great.

The problem with Courier New (the standard VS font) was that the font is not ClearType enabled. It looks bad with ClearType. Consolas is designed for ClearType. That's one of the reasons it looks so nice.

Btw. Calibri - coming with Office 2007 - looks also very very nice.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

There's two "groundbreaking" things about these fonts, really:

(1) They're designed for Cleartype

(2) They all have a true italic built in, instead of just slanting the text.  Many fonts on Windows (especially sans serif fonts, like Verdana or Arial) don't.  Candara italic looks particularly nice.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Yup, I've been using it in VS2005 for a while now and I love it. Of course, Consolas is nothing compared to sheer beauty of and awe-inspiring amount of work that went into Vista's new Japanese fonts. Smiley

• User profile image
    BenZilla

Cannot even run the installer, it tries to install and then tells me the installation has been interupted without me even doing anything.

Is there anyway to get around this and put the fonts manually where it should go?

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Yes. We likes it. Don't we, precious?

• User profile image
    Aestivalis

I really like it. I just started using it about 4 days ago and its so much better. Well thats just my humble opinion Smiley

• User profile image
    jazzman007

Mixed feelings about it. With ClearType enabled, I think it looks awsome...really makes the code 'pop'! However, I can't stand ClearType being enabled for everything else in the system...it makes everything look blurry (yes, I am running on an LCD).

I guess we'll see when Vista comes out, eh?

Anyways, just my 2 pennies....

• User profile image
    Harlequin

jazzman007 wrote:
    Mixed feelings about it. With ClearType enabled, I think it looks awsome...really makes the code 'pop'! However, I can't stand ClearType being enabled for everything else in the system...it makes everything look blurry (yes, I am running on an LCD).

Try Microsofts Cleartype Tuner, it works wonders:
    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/Step1.aspx
    Downloadable exe Powertoy version:
    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearTypePowerToy.mspx

• User profile image
    Sampy

I've been using it in VS ever since I started dogfooding Office 2007.

Thanks to you guys I've got it going on in my console window too. Thanks for that hack Smiley

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

I'm using it with both Visual Studio 2005 and Expression Web Designer...I love it

• User profile image
    Aestivalis

Harlequin wrote:

jazzman007 wrote: Mixed feelings about it. With ClearType enabled, I think it looks awsome...really makes the code 'pop'! However, I can't stand ClearType being enabled for everything else in the system...it makes everything look blurry (yes, I am running on an LCD).

Try Microsofts Cleartype Tuner, it works wonders:
    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/Step1.aspx
    Downloadable exe Powertoy version:
    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearTypePowerToy.mspx

Wow I never used cleartype before becuase the BGR version hurt my eyes but that little adjustment tool helped alot. Thanks mang.

• User profile image
    BenZilla

BenZilla wrote:
    Cannot even run the installer, it tries to install and then tells me the installation has been interupted without me even doing anything.

Is there anyway to get around this and put the fonts manually where it should go?

Anyone? Crying

• User profile image
    jmacdonagh

After reading this thread I changed VS2005's font to Consolas. I also changed the text size to 9. I can read so much more and everything is readable. I'm lovin' in!

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

BenZilla wrote:

BenZilla wrote: Cannot even run the installer, it tries to install and then tells me the installation has been interupted without me even doing anything.

Anyone?

Try setup /e to extract the files from the installer then manually add them to the fonts folder.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

looks very bad on my CRT. do you guys have LCDs?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.