Coffeehouse Thread

35 posts

Consolas font....do we like it?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Ion Todirel wrote:
    looks very bad on my CRT. do you guys have LCDs?

I run Consolas [with cleartype] on one LCD and three CRT's.  Looks fine on all four.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Ion Todirel wrote:
    looks very bad on my CRT. do you guys have LCDs?

ClearType looks great on most TFT displays and most aperture-grille CRTs and very few shadow-mask CRTs.

However, most CRTs are shadow-mask, so cleartype has the habiit of looking rather poo.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

My CRT (Samsung SyncMaster 757nf) is aperture-grill based. Take a look, before:

a1

after:

a2

I tried Microsofts Cleartype Tuner, but this tuning make all text in the system blurry. It's just bad for me. Is any way to fix ...

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

>Is any way to fix ...

Turn ClearType on?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

[edit] If the ClearType tuner didn't work for you, then ClearType probably won't work with your monitor.  Turning on ClearType again won't help you.

• User profile image
    irascian

Love it on my home PCs.

Had to remove it from my work PCs (where we run in VMWare and the font looks REALLY scratchy).

• User profile image
    Red5

BenZilla wrote:
    Cannot even run the installer, it tries to install and then tells me the installation has been interupted without me even doing anything.

Is there anyway to get around this and put the fonts manually where it should go?

Try This Link

• User profile image
    Zeus

I love it ... I have been a religious Courier New user ever since I started this development stuff almoust 10 years ago.

Changed to Consolas on my home machine to day (am running a Dell 24" LCD) and I just fell in love.

It is so clear and readable. The line spacing is a bit less than Courier New in 9 points so I get to have more code on the screen at one time.

Kudos to the author of this font !

• User profile image
    jazzman007

Those tuning tools are pretty neat, though I'm still not sold. I'm going to give it a longer trial and see how it works out.

When using ClearType, does the quality of the LCD/video card make a difference? Even with the tuning tool, I can't find a setting that just works, and I'm guessing I'll end up turning it back off. My work LCD is just a VGA HP 1702 powered by a low-end Radeon 7000. My laptop is a high-res 15.4" wide-screen powered by a GeForce2Go 4 (GForce MX?), which is pretty weak. Could that make a difference with ClearType?

Thanks,
    John

• User profile image
    Khamul

Yes, we do.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

See it was kinda flacky till I tuned cleartype...looks much better.

• User profile image
    die-Sel

Just installed it at home an dits sweet. really like it, anyway i can just get the font files themselfs instead of in an exe as i dont have admin rights on computers at work so install anything Sad

• User profile image
    damoh

Tried it, but I went back to profont, the true type version.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Windows really needs a monochrome mode for ClearType. Avalon has it (although it requires a registry tweak currently).

• User profile image
    Centaur

I was hoping a font whose name referenced the console would have all the necessary characters. However, as of now, Consolas misses the whole 0xB0-0xDF (box drawings) range of CP437, which makes it unsuitable for use in console windows.

• User profile image
    Red5

die-Sel wrote:
    Just installed it at home an dits sweet. really like it, anyway i can just get the font files themselfs instead of in an exe as i dont have admin rights on computers at work so install anything

I found it ">http://www.wirecatcher.com/archives/2005/07/31/windows-vista-fonts/"> here.

I've been using Consolas for 1 day now.  It really grows on you.  I think it is tied with Lucida Console as my favorite monospaced font.

• User profile image
    buggy123

For programming, I don't like Consolas nearly as much as the "DejaVu Sans Mono" truetype font.  Lots of programmers I know swear by DejaVu.  It has a nice distinction between zero and capital o, among other things.  It's also more compact (and IMO easier to read) than Consolas.  It's a free download.
    http://dejavu.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DejaVu_fonts

It works great on my PC at work and my Mac at home.  I also use DejaVue Sans Mono as the font in my console command prompt window on my Mac.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

buggy123 wrote:
    It works great on my PC at work and my Mac at home.  I also use DejaVue Sans Mono as the font in my console command prompt window on my Mac.

It's nice, but the antialias hinting is awful. Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.