Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Glass on Non-Glass Cards

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Has anyone tried this?

Source

WARNING: This tweak may cause a blue screen loop or constant flicker depending on your video card. Use with extreme caution.

• From the Start menu, click All Programs and then expand Accessories.
      Right click on “Command Prompt” and click “Run as Administrator”.
    • Click on “Allow” from the Windows Security dialog.
    • In the Command Prompt window, type “regedit” (without the quotes) and press Enter.
    • Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsDWM (if this key doesn’t exist, create it)
    • Create a new DWORD (32-bit value) of UseMachineCheck, and set its value to 0.

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

That way has become an almost official way to get glass on unsupported cards over in the beta newsgroups. Most of the time it works, as long as you have shadercapabilities and so on it should work just fine. Just remember that there's a reason for not supporting older cards, they're not powerful enough.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

ddewbofh wrote:
    That way has become an almost official way to get glass on unsupported cards over in the beta newsgroups. Most of the time it works, as long as you have shadercapabilities and so on it should work just fine. Just remember that there's a reason for not supporting older cards, they're not powerful enough.

Right, well I think I'd like to try this on my laptop...I know (before anyone says "HEY!") that the "glass" I was able to get as the widgets is really transparency...but I don't know if I'll have any issues unless I try.

I did it once when Vista didn't have support for NVidia cards (on my server) but I didn't know if they changed it in newer builds

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Yeah, I tried it.  It caused flickering on 5308 & 5342, but 5365 already worked properly (thus no need to try the reg hack).

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Please note: MS has specifically stated that this is not a supported configuration, and that they don't want testers running in this config since it produces no usable test results for them.

Also, many things won't work (such as windowed DX apps) if you do this. This is because the DWM depends on some very advanced features that are only present in WDDM drivers. For more details, I recommend you read this blog post by Greg Slechter.

• User profile image
    Alt-F4

Cybermagellan wrote:
    WARNING: This tweak may cause a blue screen loop or constant flicker depending on your video card.

Dang. Sounds bad. No thanks!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.