Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Private Messages

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Shawn

I realize that there's an option to list your ICQ or Messenger name but will this forum ever support Private Messages? 

In past experiences, being able to communicate to someone directly while not giving away private information is a really easy way to build commnunity in sites like this.

Of course, if this feature has already been implemented feel free to point it out to me - just don't send me a PM telling me about it!

• User profile image
    OSUKid7

I haven't seen it either. I haven't been impressed with this forum at all. :-\ RSS feeds are about the only good feature.

• User profile image
    lenn

Good suggestion and one that I want to see too. We built this forum on ASP.NET 2.0 Alpha so basically we took the stock functionality, made bug fixes and tweaks, and are working on new features from here. We are looking into a PM implementation and will let you know where we go from here. Thanks again, and don't give up on me yet.

• User profile image
    V4us

The problem lies in the lap of the Channel 9 administrations. I think, anonymous resend e-mail is answer.

• User profile image
    Shawn

lenn wrote:
    Good suggestion and one that I want to see too. We built this forum on ASP.NET 2.0 Alpha so basically we took the stock functionality, made bug fixes and tweaks, and are working on new features from here. We are looking into a PM implementation and will let you know where we go from here. Thanks again, and don't give up on me yet.

I'm not even close to giving up.  For the record, I tried my best to use wording that explained my case but didn't sound critical.  Unfortunately, typed works can sound much different than what was really intended.

Also, would it be possible to have a "see a listing of the last threads you replied to" button somewhere on the home page?  It would make it really easy to follow up on comments made but possibly forgetten.  The convenience factor of something like that is really huge if you post a lot.

Thanks again for the work you Channel9 guys have already done.  I think you've done a good job of giving Microsoft a "voice" outside of the soundbites and press releases we get from Balmer and crew.  The actual workings of the site are just the "implementation" and are bound to improve with time.  Congratulations on what you've already accomplished!

That being said, the forum categories are pretty broad.  Is there any thought being given to breaking them down any further?  It doesn't need to be set in stone but it would make it a lot easier to follow along with if threads were grouped by topic. 

(and you might as well make a suggestion box category for whiners like me Wink

• User profile image
    Karthik

Shawn wrote:

That being said, the forum categories are pretty broad.  Is there any thought being given to breaking them down any further?  It doesn't need to be set in stone but it would make it a lot easier to follow along with if threads were grouped by topic. 

I agree. There could perhaps be some kind of separation of the important categories that the various threads fall under?

Another suggestion would be to have some kind of message system (a la Slashdot) so that users can know when someone has replied to their posts.

(I'm aware of RSS feed, but do remember that I would access the site from a place where I may have nothing more than webaccess).

You could perhaps even have private reply-to - where only the person the reply is directed towards can read whats posted.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.