Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Ctrl + D deletes

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    sgomez

So now you know it... That was a shortcut I didn't know

I had copied a file from my USB key and wanted to past it on the desktop, so after Ctrl+C y meant to press Windows+D (desktop) but unfortunately I pressed Ctrl+D, so I deleted my file.

I just wanted to share my anger Wink

.seb
    http://sgomez.blogspot.com

• User profile image
    W3bbo

sgomez wrote:
    So now you know it... That was a shortcut I didn't know

I had copied a file from my USB key and wanted to past it on the desktop, so after Ctrl+C y meant to press Windows+D (desktop) but unfortunately I pressed Ctrl+D, so I deleted my file.

I just wanted to share my anger

.seb

It asks you for confirmation before hand, and sends the file to the Recycle Bin. Contrast with Shift+Del which deletes the file without sending it to the Bin, but asks for confirmation.

• User profile image
    Minh

W3bbo wrote:
    sgomez wrote:So now you know it... That was a shortcut I didn't know

I just wanted to share my anger

.seb

It asks you for confirmation before hand, and sends the file to the Recycle Bin. Contrast with Shift+Del which deletes the file without sending it to the Bin, but asks for confirmation.

My MP3 player, which is also a USB storage device, doesn't have a Recycle Bin -- which makes sense. If I delete a file, I want it gone. But it does ask for my confirmation, though.

• User profile image
    sgomez

I disabled the "Display confirmation " property from the recycle bin, so...

.seb

• User profile image
    Andrei P

Wow, can I too use my website or blog as a signature?

Rolling eyes

• User profile image
    Alt-F4

Heh, I found this out when my buddy was remotely connected to my PC. He must have hit control and I must have hit D, because afterwards, there were a whole lot of files missing!

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Andrei P. wrote:
    Wow, can I too use my website or blog as a signature?

Rolling eyes

This forum installation has signatures disabled, for good reason.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

sgomez wrote:
    I disabled the "Display confirmation " property from the recycle bin, so...

[removed due to spam irritation]

Then why are you angry if you pretty much disabled the last line of defense for your files?

• User profile image
    androidi

Helps to have WinHex at hand always. I do not use it for hex editing all that much, mostly for recovery of files, partitions and imaging disks etc. Often it can browse disks as if using explorer when Windows would show the disk as empty for whatever reason. Same for broken flash memories etc. It's also couple clicks to write a drive full of garbage or zero it. Good if you're getting rid of old hdd. The Format command doesn't do practically anything to empty the drive and changing couple bytes in winhex will unformat such drive.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

wait.  Take a step back and just look at this.  ctr+D?  What a worthless shortcut! what ever happend to that plin 'ol "delete" key? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Rowan

While the author is at fault for his own misfortune, I have to agree that the [D] key is not very necessary. How many ways do you need to delete a file, besides the existing permanent delete or recycle delete?

Edit: [d] [e] [f] [g] [h] [i] [j] [k] [l] [m] [n] [o]

• User profile image
    sgomez

mVPstar wrote:

Then why are you angry if you pretty much disabled the last line of defense for your files?

Why Ctrl+d ??? I already have a delete key... Is there a sghortcut to format my C: drive??? Wink

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Rowan wrote:
    While the author is at fault for his own misfortune, I have to agree that the key is not very necessary. How many ways do you need to delete a file, besides the existing permanent delete or recycle delete?

Edit: [f] [j] [k] [l] [m]

When doing stuff like this, check the Anti-Annoyicon box.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.