Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Linux UMPC "thingy"

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Yeah um at first I was interested in it...laughed at the first sentance "Once again, Tux has beat the Borg to the punch with a new innovation.".

SOURCE

I guess one company came up with

The PepperPad

After reading the article every thing is highlighted "Like Windows Origami Device" (I'm not sure how you beat someone to the punch when everything your product does is "Like something" another product does, but eh, so much for reasoning). But ...

"The Pepper Pad performed adequately well at simple word processing emailing, and web browsing, although these functions are not why you would throw down the $800.00 for the unit. The on-board speakers could be better. It has no onboard calendar function, nor does it let you download or view PDFs locally, both of which I considered to be noticeable flaws."

Besides that the rest of the article was filled with "Open Source", free (though the device isn't), and other giberish about the OSS community...though he does make a good point.

"The Pepper Pad is designed to sync with a Windows computer, but not yet with a Linux box or even a Mac, which is a definite sore spot with me."

If you do read the whole article he tears the thing apart rating things as being less than adiquet, not enough, have to find other resources, etc etc...and then at the end of his review...

"Total Score: 9 stars out of ten"

Besides that the vCast this guy did was horrible and he acted like he was being held at gunpoint and gasped and gulped alot..but OMG!!! there was a vCast from Rocketboom he played where Bill Gates when he was aprox 18 praised Apple on being unique...TUX LOVERS UNITE.

IMO skip the review and if you see one of these things just grab it and toss it like a frisbee like the design was truly intended for. Bonus points for whoever can tape it to a PS3 controller and get added distance.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

What a sad piece of crap.
    Hey, if you want a linux device, the Nokia 770 is much better.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

It's cool that it runs Linux and OSS stuff...but that name is just BAD. Doesn't matter how good the product is, if the brand name blows, it just ain't gonna sell. Cool

• User profile image
    Harlequin

blatzcoder wrote:

Harlequin wrote: It's cool that it runs Linux and OSS stuff...but that name is just BAD. Doesn't matter how good the product is, if the brand name blows, it just ain't gonna sell.
    You mean like most of Microsoft's product names? They sort of blow? And the ad campaigns are even worse.

Excellent, you're back. We were all getting tired of having a full week of intelligent conversation.

What's a Microsoft product name that blows?

• User profile image
    Rotem Kirshenbaum

I would love to comment on this... thing (laptop ? PDA ? abomination of nature ? ), but I don't want to copy & paste the entire review, as almost every paragraph is a goldmine of quotes.

Yes ! We have a writer which is slightly better than Notepad !
    Yes ! We have a handheld something with a battery life of 2 hours !
    Yes ! We Have a Linux OS but can only sync with a Windows OS due to some unknown reason.

Expressionless

And I didn't even bother to read the whole review...
    But ! Let's not forget the most important thing:

"Fun Factor: Yup!" Perplexed

Rotem

• User profile image
    Rotem Kirshenbaum

Microsoft Bob.
    'Nuff said Tongue Out

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

If I run across one for the right price I might pick one up, despite it's short-comings (software-wise). With a properly configured kernel and a custom distro it can very well kick some serious booty. I'm not sure what they think their market is but it's definatly a fun toy/gadget for hw-geeks. Smiley

• User profile image
    Harlequin

blatzcoder wrote:

PaoloM wrote: What a sad piece of crap.

Delete this post, Chuck. Or is it JonathanH, the backwards--oh nevermind--that is doing the deleting today?

You wrote "They sort of blow?"

What's the difference between what you wrote and what Paolo wrote?

• User profile image
    Harlequin

blatzcoder wrote:
    I also wrote in a separate post after the "sad piece of crap" line..."what, your telescope code?"

And the post got nuked.

One less post from you makes the world a better place Cool

• User profile image
    Harlequin

What does this thread have to do with Microsoft? We were talking about a new Linux handheld, and instead of that, you went to your usual place:
    "You mean like most of Microsoft's product names?"

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

So what should microsoft learn from this btw? It's inferior software (handheld recognition anyone) and the hardware isn't their problem, it's up to the hardware manufacturer. Please enlighten us to what microsoft should learn from this.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

ChrisA wrote:

ddewbofh wrote: 

So what should microsoft learn from this btw? It's inferior software (handheld recognition anyone) and the hardware isn't their problem, it's up to the hardware manufacturer. Please enlighten us to what microsoft should learn from this.

Closer to a TabletPC version of Linux.  Hooray

Hehe, I thought you left...BTW you never commented on my Linux box screenshot.

• User profile image
    blowdart

ChrisA wrote:
    ddewbofh wrote:

Closer to a TabletPC version of Linux.  Hooray

Except of course there's no handwriting recognition.

So aside from being small and faking a mouse with the touch screen, how is this a tablet? (And note, they discussed and admitted the touch screen doesn't always work either)

And amusingly enough the Pepper Pad (which isn't new, Ars Technica talked about it in 2004, although they're only delivering soon  - how is that beating the Origami devices which have already shipped) syncronises with ... WINDOWS ONLY (assuming you pay for the cable).

Extra bonus stupidity, no VGA out for projectors, only composite out. 20Gb. USB 1.1.

Interesting use of the XScale processor though, but like the UMPCs it's a device in search of a problem.

• User profile image
    Steve411

"The Pepper Pad is designed to sync with a Windows computer, but not yet with a Linux box or even a Mac, which is a definite sore spot with me."

It's built ON linux but it doesn't synch with it? That's is one hell of a contradiction for the engineers of this crap to think about.

But hey, think of it this way; linux zealots won't be able to say "I don't use windows" anymore, hehehe. (beer, hint hint hint).

- Steve

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

I'm actually hoping for linux to get decent handwriting recognition to make way for a "proper" tablet distro. I may or may not use it, but it's always nice to have a choice.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

PaoloM wrote:

What a sad piece of crap.
    Hey, if you want a linux device, the Nokia 770 is much better.

No it's not. It's gotten really bad reviews. Its not because it uses Linux but rather because the device is crap and only lets you surf the net.

Regards,
    Vincent

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Xaero_Vincent wrote:
    No it's not. It's gotten really bad reviews. Its not because it uses Linux but rather because the device is crap and only lets you surf the net.

I don't mean it's a compelling device in absolute terms, but compared to the PepperPad it's cheaper, smaller, has a working web browser and can sync to non-Windows systems.

And it's Nokia, so you can count on it being actually, you know, sold.

• User profile image
    jonathanh

blatzcoder wrote:
    I also wrote in a separate post after the "sad piece of crap" line..."what, your telescope code?"

And the post got nuked.
    I deleted it because its only purpose was to insult another user.

You can take part in rational discussions, because I've seen you do it. Please continue doing so and leave the flamebait insults at the door.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.