Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Looking for a good USB memory key

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    gingibergs

Hi everybody,

I am going to get myself a USB key (1Gb at least) but I can't seem to figure out which brand/model is the one for me. I am thinking of the "Victorinox Alox" key (mini-pocket knife embeeded) but I can't decide.

So, I am asking for your opinion : What should I get ?

Thanx in advance.

• User profile image
    Manip

What's important to you?

Cost, Speed, Resilience, "Special Features" (LED Readouts etc)?

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase
  • User profile image
    gingibergs

Manip wrote:
    What's important to you?

I guess "special features", but I have no special requirements. Just looking for a "cool key" with at least 1GB capacity.

• User profile image
    out180

gingibergs wrote:

Manip wrote: What's important to you?

I guess "special features", but I have no special requirements. Just looking for a "cool key" with at least 1GB capacity.

I thought I'd like the U3 enabled keys that allow you to run things like RoboPass and Skype off of them.  Alas after about a month I got tired of the key lagging from loading the U3 interface everytime when I just wanted a file.  In the end I just disabled the U3 portion of the key.  I like the idea however. 

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

2-3 years ago I bought a 1GB Sandisc Cruzer.  It was $300 (on base, in Japan) and they had JUST come out in that size. I lost the flimsy USB connector plastic cover within hours, but the drive itself has taken quite a beating over the years, both in usage and in physical abuse.  They're a helluva lot cheaper now.

As for special features, never really had a use for 'em. Just gimme a gigabyte with a connector somewhere.

• User profile image
    gingibergs

SlackmasterK wrote:

2-3 years ago I bought a 1GB Sandisc Cruzer.  It was $300 (on base, in Japan) and they had JUST come out in that size. I lost the flimsy USB connector plastic cover within hours, but the drive itself has taken quite a beating over the years, both in usage and in physical abuse.  They're a helluva lot cheaper now.

As for special features, never really had a use for 'em. Just gimme a gigabyte with a connector somewhere.

Duely noted. A friend told me the same i.e. the Cruzer had been driven over for one, so I guess that's a good thing, durality that is.

Anyone else ?

• User profile image
    sgomez

I own a 256MB Sandic Cruzer myself... never had a problem

--
    .seb
    http://sgomez.blogspot.com

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

USB keys are generally very sturdy. PCM (a Dutch computer magazine) did a series of tests with a number of USB keys. They dropped them from great heights, stepped on them, put them in the laundry, etc. but they were unable to seriously damage any of them.

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

Sven Groot wrote:
    USB keys are generally very sturdy. PCM (a Dutch computer magazine) did a series of tests with a number of USB keys. They dropped them from great heights, stepped on them, put them in the laundry, etc. but they were unable to seriously damage any of them.

I'll second that - forgot my Cruzer in my pocket one day, and the only thing laundry did to it was get it cleaner. Might have cleaned some viruses off it, too.

Cruzers are also nice because of their slim form-factor. I hate USB drives that are too fat to fit into front-panel USB connectors.

• User profile image
    Ang3lFir3

Another Vote for the Cruzer Mini.. <3 my 256MB..... durable as all..... more so than the USB drive in my Laks Watch and the other small usb keys i carry (they each have a special purpose).....

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.