Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Explanation Needed V2.0

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    footballism

Because we've talked a lot about application layering and breaking out your "heavy lifting" into its own application layer, you might be writing code outside of the context of a page, and therefore outside of the normal ASP.NET runtime.

what does Jeffrey Putz mean by saying "heavy lifting"?

Sheva

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

footballism wrote:

Jeffrey Putz wrote:
        Because we've talked a lot about application layering and breaking out your "heavy lifting" into its own application layer, you might be writing code outside of the context of a page, and therefore outside of the normal ASP.NET runtime.

what does Jeffrey Putz mean by saying "heavy lifting"?

Sheva

I love when you post like this...it shows a willingness to learn and not an arrogance factor like you already know.

I'm not familiar with ASP.NET however I would assume that he means seperating alot of server side functions into their own procedures and not keeping them on a normal page. That way you can display the content you want easily and the user doesn't see any performance impact.

Maybe W3bbo can answer better than I on this.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=heavy%20lifting

EDIT: So he's talking about moving the code that does the bulk of the work out of the page.

• User profile image
    footballism

Thanks, Sven and Cybermagellan, so "heavy lifting" is a slang, then does it an American slang or British slang or this slang is used in both of the two countries?

Sheva

• User profile image
    PaoloM

It's a generic english slang, I think it's used in both American and British. It usually means doing the hard work.

For example, to download a file from the web you had to write all sorts of code with network detection, etc... in .NET 2.0, it's like 5 lines of code. This means that the framework is doing the heavy lifting for you.

Sometimes it's also used alongside with "plumbing" to indicate all the "glue" functionality that you use in an application.

• User profile image
    phreaks

Cybermagellan wrote:

I'm not familiar with ASP.NET however I would assume that he means seperating alot of server side functions into their own procedures and not keeping them on a normal page. That way you can display the content you want easily and the user doesn't see any performance impact.

2 patterns to implement such a strategy would be Model-View Controller and Page Controller.

Don't know if that answers your question or not, maybe I am misunderstanding.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.