Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

SS - Undo Checkout for a user that is no longer here

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    phreaks

Guy on our team left the company,  and he also left a few project files checked out (prj's and .sln's). Now noone can make changes to these projects.
    His machine has already been wiped (although it was ghosted first).

Is there a way to undo checkout for his files?

Worse comes to worse I will have them ghost a dev box with the image of his machine from the day he left, but that is very time consuming.

• User profile image
    Maurits

Using VSS Admin, change the password on his SourceSafe account.  Then you can connect to the database as him and Undo Checkout on everything.

• User profile image
    phreaks

Good Ideas, I will try them.

Thnx

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

Maurits wrote:
    Using VSS Admin, change the password on his SourceSafe account.  Then you can connect to the database as him and Undo Checkout on everything.

I seem to recall that if you connect to the database as Admin, you can Undo anyone's checkout.

• User profile image
    phreaks

Yggdrasil wrote:

Maurits wrote: Using VSS Admin, change the password on his SourceSafe account.  Then you can connect to the database as him and Undo Checkout on everything.

I seem to recall that if you connect to the database as Admin, you can Undo anyone's checkout.

I am the admin and it wasn't letting me.
    This is SS 2005, BTW.

• User profile image
    Maurits

Oh, this is Visual Studio Team System?  That's as different from VSS 6.0 as night from day.

• User profile image
    phreaks

Maurits wrote:
    Oh, this is Visual Studio Team System?  That's as different from VSS 6.0 as night from day.

Nope, it is just VSS 2005 (V. 8.0.50727.42)

• User profile image
    Maurits

Oh good, there's a VSS 2005?  I didn't know that existed, and VSTS is a little heavyweight for our purposes.

• User profile image
    phreaks

Maurits wrote:
    Oh good, there's a VSS 2005?  I didn't know that existed, and VSTS is a little heavyweight for our purposes.

Yeah, VSS 2005 is not very well known or marketed. I am confused as to why. It doesn't even have a product page on Microsoft.

The only thing I can find about it is the Team Blog, which looks pretty stale.

http://blogs.msdn.com/checkitout/default.aspx

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

H4L0PR1CK wrote:

Maurits wrote: Oh good, there's a VSS 2005?  I didn't know that existed, and VSTS is a little heavyweight for our purposes.

Yeah, VSS 2005 is not very well known or marketed. I am confused as to why. It doesn't even have a product page on Microsoft.

The only thing I can find about it is the Team Blog, which looks pretty stale.

http://blogs.msdn.com/checkitout/default.aspx

Yeah, I was kinda suprised that it existed as well.  They prettied up the icons, and maybe fixed some bugs, but I can't tell since I didn't have any problems with it, bug-wise.

It was just confusing when you went to create new projects.

Then, I used subversion and found that it, too, suffers from non-obvious-itis.

• User profile image
    rhm

Maurits wrote:

I haven't used VSS for years, but when I did I actually had to undo other users checkouts and there is an option to do it without having to log in as the other user. The user that does it needs the top level of rights (as set using the VSS admin tool).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.