Coffeehouse Thread

66 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Dogmatism

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Charles wrote:
    I will edit any post that contains illegal or offensive content. Can I be any clearer?

Do not post this type of stuff on Channel 9. End of story.
    C

"Offensive" is subjective, and Minh's post wasn't illegal, no matter what Apple wants you to believe.

To flaunt the dogmatic "Do not post illegal content" I am going to break the law of a country in which Microsoft willingly does business in. I am posting a link to a "reactionary" Wikipedia article mirrored on my website (thus, accessible to Chinese users)

There you have it, I have just broken Chinese law. Lock this thread for fear of offending Chinese dollars.

(Note: Please, don't turn this into another religious flamewar, this is strictly an issue with the C9 administration)

EDIT: Link fixed, my bad

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

It seems that any off-topic post that spans four pages gets locked without much regard for content. Not sure.

It could be that Charles is vexed not being able to post his own retorts to these non-business topics. They may offend him greatly.
    Sorry 'bout that. We are well behaved regardless of locks.

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

This thread will completely disappear or be locked within 5...4...3...

The "offensive content" line worries me. Define "offensive content". I watched that "other" thread and didn't really see anything offensive about it. It looked like a civil discussion.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote:

Then the mods have just proven to the world they are dogmatic and don't take criticism well, they have become dictators.

The forums I come from have structured complaints policy, if we feel a moderator is being heavy-handed we can take it straight to the top. I don't see anything like that over here.

• User profile image
    Charles

W3bbo, get off your horse, relax, take a break.

Channel 9 is not the right place to post content that links to or otherwise contains content that is explicitly non-public (as was the case in minh's post).

Why do you feel it necessary to provoke me?

Stop it.
    C

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Charles wrote:
    W3bbo, get off your horse, relax, take a break.

Channel 9 is not the right place to post content that links to or otherwise contains content that is explicitly non-public (as was the case in minh's post).

Why do you feel it necessary to provoke me?

Stop it.
    C
    Er...not to jump in here, but after the content was changed (you edited the post) the thread kept going. The conversation veered wildly off topic, and seemed to be halfway civil, and then you locked it up. I don't get that...although I can see that most "religion" threads end up as disasters.

• User profile image
    Manip

Charles, have you considered rotating out your avatar?

Not that there is anything wrong with your current, it is still good. Just that you could use a change.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Assberger's Syndrome. I think he's spot on, but I'm an excessive poster.

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

JohnAskew wrote:
    Assberger's Syndrome. I think he's spot on, but I'm an excessive poster.
    You're not helping anything right now.

• User profile image
    Larsenal

The "offensive content" line worries me. Define "offensive content". I watched that "other" thread and didn't really see anything offensive about it. It looked like a civil discussion.

I agree.  We weren't engaged in name calling or outbusrts of anger.  I just took the lock to be in response to the issue of censorship, not the religious discussion that followed.  We just being human beings... sharing who we are.

Edit:  Some of these personal discussions are helpful in that they help me to realize that there are real people behind the avatars.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

JohnAskew wrote: Assberger's Syndrome. I think he's spot on, but I'm an excessive poster.
    You're not helping anything right now.

Sorry 'bout that.

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Meh.  I'd be more impressed with W3bbo's high-minded internet superhero act if he'd actually posted the correct link to his home site.

Instead, he just posted a link to a blank Wikipedia page. And none of the rest of you picked up on it... D'oh!

• User profile image
    Charles

We need to limit the amount of pointless conversation that goes on around here. It's starting to drive me crazy.

Remember, this is a place for you to interact with your peers in civil, meaningful discourse. What's going on around here?
    C

• User profile image
    Larsenal

jonathanh wrote:
    Meh.  I'd be more impressed with W3bbo's high-minded internet superhero act if he'd actually posted the correct link to his home site.

Instead, he just posted a link to a blank Wikipedia page. And none of the rest of you picked up on it... D'oh!

We noticed it... just didn't want to get off-topic.  Wink

• User profile image
    W3bbo

jonathanh wrote:

Fixed Smiley

Charles wrote:
    We need to limit the amount of pointless conversation that goes on around here. It's starting to drive me crazy.

Remember, this is a place for you to interact with your peers in civil, meaningful discourse. What's going on around here?

Has that ever not been the case with the threads we're discussing?

• User profile image
    Manip

Charles wrote:

C

All conversation has a point. You are really addressing two different things in your post:

- Quality of threads / posts
    - Behaviour (or lack there of...)

I think the quality of threads / posts is 'alright' ... Could be better, has been worse.

The behaviour thing is a long time C9 problem.

• User profile image
    Rossj

W3bbo wrote:
    Charles wrote: I will edit any post that contains illegal or offensive content. Can I be any clearer?

Do not post this type of stuff on Channel 9. End of story.
    C

"Offensive" is subjective, and Minh's post wasn't illegal, no matter what Apple wants you to believe.

To flaunt the dogmatic "Do not post illegal content" I am going to break the law of a country in which Microsoft willingly does business in. I am posting a link to a "reactionary" Wikipedia article mirrored on my website (thus, accessible to Chinese users)

There you have it, I have just broken Chinese law. Lock this thread for fear of offending Chinese dollars.

(Note: Please, don't turn this into another religious flamewar, this is strictly an issue with the C9 administration)

EDIT: Link fixed, my bad

W3bbo. Mate. This is twice now you've started threads questioning Charles' decisions (backed up by the TOS no doubt).  I think you are over-reacting to what happened, it wasn't even Microsoft private data, and I think that Charles did the right thing - do you want C9 taken down because Apple decide to sue over it?

• User profile image
    Angus

Sabot wrote:

W3bbo, enough please !

You've had your 2p and thats fine, but now it's time to give it a rest.

The Coffeehouse doesn't enjoy parliamentary privilege, what we say here does have an effect and can be used as a statement of record this is why we all have to mind our P's and Q's and keep it legal, decent and honorable.

If any C9'ers have legal issues posting here they can prejudice their case and other C9'ers may think they are helping but indeed they could indeed be exacerbating the situation.

The admin's first task is to insure that C9 stays legal. Obvious the boundaries can be close but as long as it's understood that lines have not been crossed by miles.

The law is the law, and we have to abide by them whether we agree with them or not. It's not a choice, it's not up for discussion here. Whether you reside in that country or not. We should also abide by them because it insures that C9 will continue but most importantly we should abide by them out of respect for our fellows.

As for discussions about religion and politics there are plenty of forums for that kind of dicussion so take it there, this forum is for Microsoft Tech/Dev Geek stuff and there aren't that many decent forums on that.

Well put. I really enjoy Channel 9, especially when people aren't making threads that are bound to end in a flame war, or posting illegal things.

Angus Higgins

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.