Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

GDI+

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    martin_lovi​ck

Heres a question.

has anyone used GDI+ for drawing graphs from large amounts of numerical data?

how does well does it perform in a C#/.NET application?

is it reasonably fast ? or do you need a massive graphics card for it?

• User profile image
    Steve411

martin_lovick wrote:
    Heres a question.

has anyone used GDI+ for drawing graphs from large amounts of numerical data?

how does well does it perform in a C#/.NET application?

There are controls for this, check out windowsforms.net is the website I think.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

martin_lovick wrote:

GDI+ is not hardware accelerated at all, so having a massive graphics card doesn't help. A massive CPU probably would, though.

GDI+ isn't really fast, but depending on what you're doing, it may be enough.

• User profile image
    Manip

Uhh what? ... Graphs are easy to draw... You can draw graphs for masses of data just using five colours and some simple line drawing functions. GDI+ can do it no problem but frankly it is overkill.

I have written graph drawing programs in some of the most basic frameworks and on some very slow CPUs... As long as you don't have them update every 0.5 ms it isn't a problem.

It depends how 'clever' you are about what to store and what to throw out... But more importantly than that it is also about as little drawing as possible.

You can do great things with just a few lines...

• User profile image
    littleguru

I have used GDI+ for some winform control. I find it also very slow in some szenarios. My control was a little bit complexer with a lot of lines etc.

In the end I draw everything in a back buffer, cached a little bit and used PInvoke to flip the whole thing to the graphics card, which gave me enough speed to draw the control fast enough.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.