Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Is Acrobat Really so 'unstable'

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    phreaks

Everytime I try to view a pdf online, it crashes my PC. Well, not exactly everytime, but the vast majority of the times.

Does this happen to anyone else? It happens to be across 3 seperate machines. If acrobat is so unstable how the hell did they manage to become the defacto standard?

Try to open any of the PDF's here, I have been trying to open the Attleboro Weekday schedule for an hour.

I wonder if anyone at MS actually checks all the error reports I am sending when Acrobat crashes.

http://www.mbta.com/traveling_t/schedules_commuterrail_pdf_sched_temp.asp#

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

H4L0PR1CK wrote:
    I wonder if anyone at MS actually checks all the error reports I am sending when Acrobat crashes.

That's not how it works.  The error reports are added to a database that is accesable to the program creators for a fee.  So Microsoft doesn't check the error reports for Acrobat, but no doubt Adobe does.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

H4L0PR1CK wrote:
    Everytime I try to view a pdf online, it crashes my PC. Well, not exactly everytime, but the vast majority of the times.

Does this happen to anyone else? It happens to be across 3 seperate machines. If acrobat is so unstable how the hell did they manage to become the defacto standard?

Try to open any of the PDF's here, I have been trying to open the Attleboro Weekday schedule for an hour.

In my experience, Acrobat is like that one annoying roommate you had in college:  They move in, drink all your beer, sleep with your girlfriend, and then they won't pay rent nor will they ever really leave.

Good times.

Yeah, Acrobat crashes about 25% of the time for me, too.

• User profile image
    Minh

I use the free FoxIt PDF reader ... much better than AcroRead6.

• User profile image
    Minh

H4L0PR1CK wrote:

You mean hosting the AcroRead plugin within a browser? If your browser is FireFox, then, yeah, that's normal. FireFox don't play so nice with all plugsin just yet. Either download the pdf or use IE.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

ScanIAm wrote:

H4L0PR1CK wrote: Everytime I try to view a pdf online, it crashes my PC. Well, not exactly everytime, but the vast majority of the times.

In my experience, Acrobat is like that one annoying roommate you had in college:  They move in, drink all your beer, sleep with your girlfriend, and then they won't pay rent nor will they ever really leave.

Good times.

Yeah, Acrobat crashes about 25% of the time for me, too.
    i totally agree with you, same with Flash. BTW is there any way to do mini app in browsers like Flash, Java Applets, ActiveX does? with .NET or something.

• User profile image
    TimP

I've noticed Adobe Reader 7.0.7 crashes a lot more than 7.0.5. Hopefully they'll fix this in a patch.

• User profile image
    spoofnozzle

H4L0PR1CK wrote:

Crashes your PC... or crashes an application ??

If it crashes the PC (i.e. Blue Screen)  then I would think MS would be interested.

If it crashes an app... then I would think they'd leave it to the app vendor to sort.

• User profile image
    Pace

its a local problem you have...

One of my collegues had it here at work;

• Open the Adobe Reader program and go to the "Edit -> Preferences" dialog.
    • Select the "Internet" category and uncheck "Display PDF in browser".

Try again Wink

hth

PACE

• User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

spoofnozzle: of course it doesn't crash your whole pc / os, only the acrobat plugin itself or the browser instance (!) in which it is running...  it's more like an inconvenience, not a major problem.  But enough for Adobe to think about quality issues.

• User profile image
    matt0210

H4L0PR1CK wrote:
    If acrobat is so unstable how the hell did they manage to become the defacto standard?

Reading this sentance on a Microsoft message board is just about the funniest thing imanginable! I think you all know what I'm getting at. Quality has nothing to do with becoming a standard. It comes down to a great marketing department (the kind that can sell fridges to Eskimos) and being business-friendly. Like MS, Adobe has done both. As for the stability of Acrobat; it's just part of the XPerience.

• User profile image
    androidi

They are well aware of the problem. The thing I do not quite get is, how the bugs got through testing since they are so easy to reproduce and manifest in normal use.

For one particular 7.0.7 bug atleast when you do the report it gives you feedback from Adobe through MS's bug site that goes something like 'if you press back button in the browser when a PDF is loading bla bla bla'. Anyway if your computer doesn't shutdown properly you have pressed the back button/key!

BTW. Thanks for the tip about disabling Acrobat in the browser, I have to try it!

• User profile image
    VAXJedi

There are a copuple factors on why bugs make it out.

1. Most bugs that make it out really aren't that easy to reproduce in normal use. It may be easy for YOUR system, but there are so many different configurations and variables (even on a simple clean install of an OS) that it is impossible to test every possible consideration. This becomes even more of a problem with less common components (and let's face it despite it's quality FireFox is not the standard). Add onto that the fact that users often attempt to do things that no one creating or testing the product had ever thought they would do ('you want to do WHAT with it?') and you get a situation where there is no way to test any app completely.
    2. There is some economics involved. NOT 'money-grubbing', but simple economics. Testing some things completely requires more man-hours than a company can pay for and make a profit (yes, even for big companies like Microsoft and Adobe). You have to make a choice - do I spend a few more hours testing/fixing this bug, or do I spend that time on a different bug that may or may not be more critical, or adding more functionality that will convince more people to buy my product? Bugs happen and you have to prioritize.
    You can't get around these factors. And I admit, I am often surprised the lack of understanding when it comes to this from users of almost every software I've seen.

• User profile image
    AngelWorks

One of the reasons of course it is a defacto standard is because PDF format is in fact royalty free and open Smiley.

Also this issue is pretty hard to reproduce. In my testing you have to find a pdf suitably large enough that while its loading hit the back button or refresh button to cause the crash. I can see how an issue like this could escape quality assurance in a controled environment - especially if you have fast network resources.

Also the fact that there's more info link upon reporting the crash aknowledges that Adobe does know about this issue.

• User profile image
    purefusion

Here's how to pear down your Acrobat Reader 6 and 7, and hopefully keep it from crashing your browser. Adobe sucks, FoxIt reader rocks, but they don't yet have a web reader. I just uninstalled Abode Reader altogether, but if you want otherwise, check this out:

Adobe Reader 6.0 (and 7.0) for Windows load lots of unused plugins at startup. The Inquirer has a great article explaining how you can disable those unneeded plugins and make Adobe Reader load faster. Basically, you need to do the following:

1. Install Adobe Reader 6.0 and notice where it is installed.
    2. Navigate to that folder in Explorer, locate the plug_ins subfolder and rename this folder to plug_ins_disabled.
    3. Create a new plug_ins folder.
    4. Move the files EWH32.api, printme.api and search.api from plug_ins_disabled to plug_ins.
    Hopefully this helps you with most, if not all of your problems. I tested this on version 7 reader and it loaded quickly and error free, still printed.

I second the recommendation to get FoxIt Reader, just google it! Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.