Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

UI Design Patterns

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Rossj

I found this site a while ago, about UI Design Patterns, and thought it was quite interesting. A lot are fairly common sense, but does anyone who does UI work use patterns like this?  Referring backs to Sabot's thread a while ago about programmers being lousy designers - it might be worth a read.

• User profile image
    phreaks

Rossj wrote:
    I found this site a while ago, about UI Design Patterns, and thought it was quite interesting. A lot are fairly common sense, but does anyone who does UI work use patterns like this?  Referring backs to Sabot's thread a while ago about programmers being lousy designers - it might be worth a read.

I never really had much UI experience until lately, and it appears as if I will be doing more of it in the future.

I am pretty versed in BI patterns and coming upto speed with UI design patterns.

I know the simple ones Like the Controller patterns, and that is all I have really needed so far, but I haven't really done anything complex with the UI yet either.

Anyway, thanks for the links.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Hey that's a great site. Good find!

• User profile image
    dahat

That is a pretty nifty site Ross, thanks!

I must admit that I suck pretty bad at UI design and it’s always nice to have such a reference of different styles.

• User profile image
    Sabot

Love it! Thanks, very handy.

I recieved a lot of feedback about my posts on interactive design which I will edit and share with you here and on my blog (shameless plug)

I believe it's a subject that could help us solve our issues in gather requirements and creating the detail enough to code and giving the person who is going to use our software and which they could very well make their living from is very happy. We never get all those three things do we?

• User profile image
    Rossj

I also forgot this. It is the Elements of Typographic Style applied to the Web.  As yet incomplete but if you get a chance to read the original book you should. There are also plenty of references to other typographic info (books, blogs etc).

• User profile image
    littleguru

I was at a user interface lecture a few semesters ago. The teacher was a freaky, but cool, guy (he used to do powerpoint on a mac with his mobile phone as remote control - it was funny). He said that most of the UI in the current computer world is just "crap" (sorry for the word): to complex, overdone, important features hide, to much clicks etc.

I think he had/has a point. The page linked by Ross does not fit the requirements of the prof. because he wanted revolutionary new controls and ways to do input (not available yet, but who knows what the future brings).

We should go more back to the simple UI designs and abandon the complex grids, menus, toolbars etc. I have started to do all my UI with the standard windows controls. No more DevExpress, Infragistics and how those third party controls are named. The result is that a lot people are asking me how i do this great, simple and clean UI. I'm telling them always that I'm just using what comes with .NET, without those weird controls that have so many options that nobody can configure them right.

• User profile image
    Rossj

littleguru wrote:
    does not fit the requirements of the prof. because he wanted revolutionary new controls and ways to do input (not available yet, but who knows what the future brings).

Every read any of Jef Raskin's stuff. Always wanted to meet him, and now I won't Sad

Also of course there is always the now almost classic video available here (put aside 5 mins for the vid, and another 5 to recompose yourself afterwards).

• User profile image
    littleguru

Rossj wrote:
    Every read any of Jef Raskin's stuff. Always wanted to meet him, and now I won't

Also of course there is always the now almost classic video available here (put aside 5 mins for the vid, and another 5 to recompose yourself afterwards).

Awesome!! Yah that is what our prof meant. And he is so right: I see also a future with a more intuitive UI design. We have two hands with 10 fingers, so we should use them properly. With the mouse for example the fingers aren't used very much - and we use only one hand.

There are so much possibilities with those new designs. They are going to come, I'm sure. Perhaps I'm still alive then to see them!

Edit: I know that those are only prototypes and they are designed to look fancy. But I'm talking more about using our hands and fingers - the new UIs will include that. It's as the prof said: the pen is made as it is made because of our hands - and the chair is as the chair is because we are not giants or dwarfs: we are as we are and the UI and design have to respect that. We can't change us the design has to adapt to fit us.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

I think its a good idea... myself, I get used to a style of application and when something deviates from that, I have to spend a bit of effort learning it.  A pattern is a good idea to abstract away the details and use a common vocab with.  I'll read it when I get a chance.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

Nice links.

When I first started working I read a book titled The Design of Everyday Things. While it is not specifically about UIs it is a very insightful book about design.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

I love them.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.