Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Games Future: Dedicated Consoles or PC/Mac?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

I don't know, what do you think?. 

I play games only on PC i don't have a console, even if they are relatively cheap. (enyone know how many games are released on consoles (xBox/PS ...) vs. PC?) In what direction this is going?

• User profile image
    Manip

Both.

Plus as the two merge together we will have one "entertainment unit" instead of the multiple components we have now. Which of course will be PC based.

• User profile image
    pacelvi

Ion Todirel wrote:
    I don't know, what do you think?. 

I play games only on PC i don't have a console, even if they are relatively cheap. (enyone know how many games are released on consoles (xBox/PS ...) vs. PC?) In what direction this is going?

Why is everything framed as an either / or proposition?

• User profile image
    m1keread

Manip wrote:
    Both.

Plus as the two merge together we will have one "entertainment unit" instead of the multiple components we have now. Which of course will be PC based.

This makes sense regarding XBOX and PC, but unsure about Playstation and do you really think Nintendo will jump onto a PC based system?

• User profile image
    Minh

Mac. Definitely, the future is the Mac.

• User profile image
    littleguru

There is space for both worlds, PC and consoles. Consoles (for the developer) is that the hardware doesn't change over time. So it's easier to tweak games etc. The PC on the other side has always the newest and coolest features, because of new hardware coming out.

• User profile image
    Sabot

I have an Xbox, Xbox 360, PS2 and PC

My games consoles are gathering dust.

My PC is still my gaming machine of choice.

Yes, I do spend a lot of money on keeping my PC uptodate, around £800 p.a. (yes I have made it an annual budget, so yes I do put a bit a side each month then decide on my this years upgrade just before Christmas. I brought a 24" flat panel monitor last year)

Consoles are a cheaper option, the Xbox 360 has lovely graphics but no killer games that I want just yet. Also console games IMHO suffer from a lack of depth, easy to get into but I lose interest soon after that.

Games such as the most recently, BF2, FEAR & Civ4 have held my interest and it's not really just to do with the PC format.

So the obvious question is, are console games pitched at a different level than PC games? Is it that the target audience is primarily under 16's for consoles, but for PC's this is not the case and aimed at an older audience?

• User profile image
    Angus

I barely ever game as I have better things to do with my time, but this is definitely an interesting question.

I think that there will always be 'dedicated consoles' around as to be honest, with a PC, or Mac there are more things to go wrong. If you go around to someone's house that you know, who possibly isn't the best with computers you do tend to find that they either don't use it out of fear, or just aren't using it because of some virus, or spyware problem.

Consoles, on the other-hand seem to have these problems much less, and are overall much more simple to operate. Consoles also are in limited variety so it makes the choice easy for people to make as they don't have to worry about whether getting a 3.20GHz processor is worth the extra £50, for example.

I think that there will be 'dedicate consoles' for a long time, they will, however, continue to evolve and have more features, much like PCs. Although, I think the 'dedicated consoles' will remain, in essence, much more simple to operate, buy, and maintain than PCs or Macs as this is one thing that attracts people to them.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

agree, but they will be PC-based is the question, or not? I think all will be PC-based

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.