Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Well rounded view

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

This has to be one of the very best well rounded blog post I have ever read from someone on the Linux vs. Windows debate. Try not to think of it as the debate however think about it as the way it was written...I think it was done very well...and no I'm not being sarcastic.

Christopher Anthony's World: Wrong about Windows? Or was I brainwashed

I SWEAR I'm not trying to start a fight or argument...just read the article....

Chris this is actually a compliment...

• User profile image
    Manip

Good blog post (yes that's right, I followed a blog link!).

I have to agree with that dude about Microsoft's licencing... It blows beyond belief. Stuff it just too expensive and doesn't scale down in price for multiple computers either.

I hope they will give consumers more choice with Vista but frankly I am not counting on it ... We will see ...

Vista is going to be more expensive anyway. The Vista Ultimate edition is just a way for them to squeeze more money out of people...

Price Comparisn:
    Vista Home Basic - Windows XP Home
    Vista Home Premium - Windows XP Pro
    Vista Ultimate - $++

Their justification for the increase in price is that nobody 'really' needs that version so if you want it then you have to pay for it.

PS - £500 for Microsoft Office retail is just insane!

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Manip wrote:
    PS - £500 for Microsoft Office retail is just insane!

The inflated prices only exist for those not in the know Smiley

If your company has a Microsoft licensing agreement, you can get a 2-computer Microsoft Office 2003 Professional "work from home" license for only £20.

Yep.

• User profile image
    eagle

License for Windows CE is $3.00

• User profile image
    Harlequin

"A lot of the things I have heard from the open source community regarding trusted computing and other Longhorn features are nothing but FUD."

One of the many intelligent things in that 2 year old blog entry. Guess you'd have to read the entire blog history to see exactly when things went wrong. Cool

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

So, looks like I'm not the only one who noticed he spontaneously had a blog to link to?

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Harlequin wrote:

"A lot of the things I have heard from the open source community regarding trusted computing and other Longhorn features are nothing but FUD."

One of the many intelligent things in that 2 year old blog entry. Guess you'd have to read the entire blog history to see exactly when things went wrong.

Under the assumption that he is beer, his major change occurred due to some perceived lack of MFC support about a year ago.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

I dont think he is Beer, he was bugging Rory Blythe a few years ago.  I think the blog entry just illustrates that he is capable of having a decent, well rounded conversation.  I will admit though its very easy to be drawn into the "open source is better everything else just sucks" crowd.  When I was told several years ago that I had to make the migration to Windows and away from my Unix systems I cried like a baby and when PDC 2003 came along and I was told go or be fired I didnt want to go.  But Im glad I did because I learned a lot.  ChrisA will just have to learn as I did that things arent so cut and dry.

ScanIAm wrote:
    Harlequin wrote:

One of the many intelligent things in that 2 year old blog entry. Guess you'd have to read the entire blog history to see exactly when things went wrong.

Under the assumption that he is beer, his major change occurred due to some perceived lack of MFC support about a year ago.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.